IGNORED

Good Metric Tool Set for the RSV

Gamecock

I've spent a fair amount of time putting Christmas presents on the bike and I spend more than half my time looking for metric tools. It seems, everything I have now is American Standard.

I am looking for an affordable ($100 or less) metric tool set that I can use and keep in the motorcycle. Has anyone found a good deal on one or reccommend something that fits the use of the RSV?

Ben

I carry the stock tool kit plus one 10mm ratchet box end wrench (for the seat). You can go crazy thinking of all the possibilities of what might fail, but I have 116k miles on mine without any problems. I always say maintenance is the solution to long bike life. I check everything when I do maintenance and therefore have no problems.

:farmer:

I generally buy Craftsman tools, so you may want to keep your eyes out for sales on socket sets, etc. I highly recommend buying a set of ball type allen wrenches for the hard to get to allen head screws.

The hardest part is coming up with a way to store everything...

I carry a small 1/4 drive socket set from craftman and with a 6" extension and a set of metric socket head allen wrenches. The small socket set has a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter so I can use a few sockets I carry also. The whole thing along with the tools takes up very little room. Even used the allen head sockets to fix a Harley once. Ground wire on the starter was loose and my ratchet with the allen wrench socket was the only thing that would work at the campsite at Americade.

I highly recommend buying a set of ball type allen wrenches for the hard to get to allen head screws.

The hardest part is coming up with a way to store everything...

Don't remember what I paid for these, but was not THAT much. They are invaluable!!!

I keep the Snap-On's in the roll-away, but for the bike kits I've been using Harbor Freight tools. Lately HB has been putting out some pretty nice tools for a third what Craftsmans would run. We don't even want to talk about Snap-On's... :) For a hundred bucks you can build a pretty nice metric set to stow on the bike and still have left overs. The only specialty tools you will need is for spark plug removal. What I've done is pick up a few 2ndGen tool kits off Ebay for the basics, because you can pick them up fairly cheap, and then add sockets and combos that you'll need. Works....

For the most part ... general maintenance items, minimally you'll need a set of metric allen wrenches with a "ball end", a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets and wrenches, screw driver with changeable bits, pliers, crescent wrench big enuf for the rear wheel axle nut.... and... ???

I have both standard and deep sockets. Can't recall the mm size for the spark plugs but you'll need one of those plus a short extension for the rachet. I prefer the swivel-head rachet.

I've spent a fair amount of time putting Christmas presents on the bike and I spend more than half my time looking for metric tools. It seems, everything I have now is American Standard.

I am looking for an affordable ($100 or less) metric tool set that I can use and keep in the motorcycle. Has anyone found a good deal on one or reccommend something that fits the use of the RSV?

Ben

Ben, Remind me and i'll show you what I carry and how this saturday at the M&E

I haven't looked there. I'll do that this evening.....Thanks:thumbsup2:

When I got my bike it was MIA so I put the tools I needed in a 12" zipper tool bag I got at Lowe's It takes up little room.

A cheap collapsible zipper lunch box/cooler type deal holds plenty of tools. (Thanks for the idea flb )

I agree with the craftsman bit. BUT, I have yet to find a reasonable all metric set. So, I have pieced together a handful of sockets, a few wrenches (key sized for the necessary items on the bike), two different sized adjustable wrenches (for anything I may have overlooked), a set of ball end hex key (allen) wrenches, hex head sockets for the few hex screws/bolts that are kept at a higher torque that having a ratchet on is a little bit easier than the hex key, a few different sized pliers from a few sets that I've picked up from sears when that stuff goes on sale once every other week (only a slight exaggeration) and a flashlight or two. As a result, I have a set of tools that stay in the bike - complete enough that I can do my routine maintenance with the tools in the saddle bag (after all, if I do not like working on the bike with the tools in the garage - I sure as heck do not want to be fumbling around on the side of a dark road with tools that honk me off under ideal conditions). And some partial sets that sit in my tool box in the garage (along with the rest of the complete sets in the box).

After all, I do not know of a situation where too many tools is a bad thing... :thumbsup2:

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may have to piece together your appropriate set instead of being able to find one that has most of what you want. I ended up making a list of the tools I used for routine maitenence, then sizes/tools needed for any other operation on the bike that I could think of. From those I was able to compile a (what I feel is) rather complete set of tools for the bike with only a few additional purchases which included one of those 8 or 12 pc combination wrench sets (that coem on the handy plastic hanger deals and go on sale for 40-50% off once every few weeks), a few 'extra' sockets that came with a ratchet, a neat little case and some more sockets :- P -- again, one of those things that go on sale for somewhere between 30 and 50% off.

I guess my short summary wasn't much shorter than my initial statement. Oh well.

Oh yea, don't forget extra fuses, zip ties, electrical tape, duct tape, some 10 or 12 gauge wire, a multi-meter, and most importantly the VR.org assistance list for the region you will be traveling through. :happy34:

A cheap collapsible zipper lunch box/cooler type deal holds plenty of tools. (Thanks for the idea flb )

I agree with the craftsman bit. BUT, I have yet to find a reasonable all metric set. So, I have pieced together a handful of sockets, a few wrenches (key sized for the necessary items on the bike), two different sized adjustable wrenches (for anything I may have overlooked), a set of ball end hex key (allen) wrenches, hex head sockets for the few hex screws/bolts that are kept at a higher torque that having a ratchet on is a little bit easier than the hex key, a few different sized pliers from a few sets that I've picked up from sears when that stuff goes on sale once every other week (only a slight exaggeration) and a flashlight or two. As a result, I have a set of tools that stay in the bike - complete enough that I can do my routine maintenance with the tools in the saddle bag (after all, if I do not like working on the bike with the tools in the garage - I sure as heck do not want to be fumbling around on the side of a dark road with tools that honk me off under ideal conditions). And some partial sets that sit in my tool box in the garage (along with the rest of the complete sets in the box).

After all, I do not know of a situation where too many tools is a bad thing... :thumbsup2:

I guess what I'm trying to say is you may have to piece together your appropriate set instead of being able to find one that has most of what you want. I ended up making a list of the tools I used for routine maitenence, then sizes/tools needed for any other operation on the bike that I could think of. From those I was able to compile a (what I feel is) rather complete set of tools for the bike with only a few additional purchases which included one of those 8 or 12 pc combination wrench sets (that coem on the handy plastic hanger deals and go on sale for 40-50% off once every few weeks), a few 'extra' sockets that came with a ratchet, a neat little case and some more sockets :- P -- again, one of those things that go on sale for somewhere between 30 and 50% off.

I guess my short summary wasn't much shorter than my initial statement. Oh well.

Oh yea, don't forget extra fuses, zip ties, electrical tape, duct tape, some 10 or 12 gauge wire, a multi-meter, and most importantly the VR.org assistance list for the region you will be traveling through. :happy34:

And that my friend, is something I won't leave home without!!!

Is there a tool for getting people in a certain region, or just look people up in the profile section?

Ben

Motorcycle Cruising had a comparison of multi-tools. Subsequently, I bought one like this, but it looks to have changed names.

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/replacementmaintenance/stockton_15in1_tool_MD.jpg

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FAI_BH20-0159

It is on sale at Cyclegear now for $7.50. There is a store in my town, so I don't pay shipping. You can get a lot done with this thing.

One thing the Motorcycle Cruising guy recommended were locking pliers (Vise Grips). You can use them as brake/clutch levers in a pinch (he says). When I road trip, I carry a pair in my luggage.

I also carry a larger standard wrench (5/8") for my highway pegs. It's the only non-metric thing on the bike so far, but is frequently used. Riding 500 miles in a day, the pegs tend to move. Have a couple of those days in a row, and you'll want your feet back in the comfortable position.

Maybe it's the wrong approach, but I have been buying tools as needed. I've probably spent more than $100, but it's been spent over 18 months or so. It's a reasonable method with a Sears, a Harbor Freight, and a Northern Tools all within a 10 minute drive. The biggest single outlay was probably by my smarter half, who bought me a rolling locking tool chest for Christmas 2008. After a while, organizing everything becomes the issue. :whistling:

Dave

And that my friend, is something I won't leave home without!!!

Is there a tool for getting people in a certain region, or just look people up in the profile section?

Ben

Unfortunately, the best I have found is to sort by state. Maybe someone else will chime in with better knowledge on the subject.

I wouldn't mind having a complete print out, if that is what we need to do. But I don't know of a way to get all of them to be displayed on a single page either (ie one would have to click next, then print, next then print, etc...)