IGNORED

How fast is the RSV?

Guest BillFoltz

Guest BillFoltz

I have been wondering for quite a while, just how fast is the RSV? I know my 99 RSV is very quick, and it does not have any wind out time to speak of to reach 100 mph. But I am not too crazy about traffic tickets, so I don't reach that kind of speed very often. But still, I am curious, has anyone really seen just how fast the RSV will go?

I hit 100 in 4th gear. I also hit 125 (speedo) once when I dusted a Screaming Eagle Ultra on I-10. Never had it to full capacity but I heard it tops out with the rev limiter at 137. Now, maybe that 1st gen can pass but he sure better have his bolts safety wired......:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

I have been wondering for quite a while, just how fast is the RSV? I know my 99 RSV is very quick, and it does not have any wind out time to speak of to reach 100 mph. But I am not too crazy about traffic tickets, so I don't reach that kind of speed very often. But still, I am curious, has anyone really seen just how fast the RSV will go?
It's one second slower and 10 mph slower than the first gen in the standing 1/4 mile. Gear wise, we've paced it out on a rpm gauge, and there's not a whole lot of difference except that the 83 had a lower gear rear end as it's engine tached around two grand higher than the 2nd gen engine. This made it faster with it also being 120 lbs. lighter than the 2nd gen. So, 104 mph in 12.6 seconds for the 1st gen...........94 mph in 13.6 seconds for the 2nd gen. And both bikes geared for around 135 mph. :mustache:

Got PO'd at a cager onced and chased them:no-no-no: which I don't recommend and have never done again. After coming off the interstate hit the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd , flew by them at around 95 mph to let them know my disapproval of them nearly running me over on the Interstate. Had to let up to make a turn so never got to use 4th and 5th :cool10: I really felt bad that I had reacted in such a juvenile manner. (boy was it fun though)

It depends on the rider. There are few riders that can take a bike to it's max output. While the 1st gen may be faster on paper I have not lost to one on my RSV. Dallas said He estimated 130 on his RSV before it just ran out of steam and I think that is pretty close if you have not modified any thing. It takes a lot of straight road to max out th RSV. I know 2 up and loaded with luggage 65 mph to 110 comes pretty fast, and Rose does not notice the speed. The RSV was made for comfort not speed but is still not too bad for a big bike. Rod

bring on those first gens.i think i can come up with something in my garage that could give one a good run.i've got this here kawasaki that might beat one.lol :stirthepot: :rasberry: :2133:

Thats the truth Bill.I seen some of the photo's of your pretty toys.

And let me say this, the 83 beast knows when to keep its exhaust quiet.

:rotf:

In its day and Time, I'd say the (Blue beast -YammerDan) would've had its time running with your pretty toys.

My 83 beast has the V-Max Transmission & V-Max Final drive and I still would not test your Toys!

But I hear for being stock the fastest Venture of them all were the 83 model's.

But yet I still would Love to add the RSV to my Garage.

Yeah I know buddy wanting a RSV

buddy

I only got 115 out of my 99. I never did find the top end on the 88 & 89 though. (I'm sure they were a bit quicker)

But after riding a BMW K1200LS at 125, I know that our RSV's are not as rock steady as the Beemer is. No matter, it's only a novelty to do that speed once or twice a year.

Ya'd better be sure the tires are balanced & your forks are tight before trying it with an aging bike though.

I'm wondering how a 2nd Gen with a Vmax rear end would do? I was considering going with 2nd Gen gearing and Vmax rear (which I have aquired both but not done anything with yet.). I want a faster out of the hole in 1st and taller 5th gear to lower rpms on the top side. think this combo will give me that any ideas on it?

Got the V-Max rear-end on my 89. She's pretty fast out of the hole, that's for sure. But I, definitely, feel like I need another gear on the highway going 75. At 75 She's right at 4,500 rpm. That is, from what I've been able to gather, about 3 or 4K faster than a stock 1st gen. at the same speed.

I don't know how fast the RSV is, but there are a lot of custom bikes out there that can't touch it. When we were in Ruidoso, we had ridden to Cloud Croft and on the way back down the mountain a group riding customs were pushing me pretty hard all the way down. That area is "open range", therefore you encounter cattle on the road frequently and I felt riding the speed limit was fast enough.

When we reached a stop sign at the 4 lane hiway going back to Ruidoso they all swung out to the inside lane to show me their tail lights. I watched my mirrors and did not open mine up until after they had all gotten the jump. As I shifted to 4th gear somewhere around 85mph, they were waaaaaaaay back and I was the only one riding double.

I did slow down and let them pass, I even smiled and waved. I am not thinking I will be gettling a Birthday card from them this year.:rotf:

Got the V-Max rear-end on my 89. She's pretty fast out of the hole, that's for sure. But I, definitely, feel like I need another gear on the highway going 75. At 75 She's right at 4,500 rpm. That is, from what I've been able to gather, about 3 or 4K faster than a stock 1st gen. at the same speed.

I would like to be about 38-3900 rpm at 75-80 I might be wrong about this and someone correct me if I am but at around 4250 rpm is where the carbs are really starting to dump fuel into the cylinders so if I could stay below that and still cruise at 75-80 I think that would be ideal. Along with better acceleration out of the hole. At 75-80 is were my mileage starts to suffer. I know its more then one factor of RPM's like wind resistance etc.

The second gen gearset with the VMAX rear would put you almost exactly where you want to be. I am running the VMAX rear in my second gen and those numbers are VERY close to what I'm getting. I think it's perfect. Pretty much splits the difference between stock first gen and stock second gen.