Wolfie

Are there no choice for a V Star 250? All I see is black for a 2010. Kinda seems crappy. Or am I looking at their site wrong?:cool17: And can a windscreen, saddelbags and backrest be added? Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by Wolfie

OK guess what i really want to know, is which is better, the Honda Rebel or the yamaha v star? Or is there something better out there in a 250 that can get a windshield, backrest, maybe a radio???? Ok, am I asking too much for a small bike?:hurts:

I have never seen a Vstar 250 so can not comment, but took my rider Safety on a Reble 250, if the rider is short, it will be a fun ride, my knees were in my chest. I know a guy that baught his wife a reble and put a wind sheild and bags on it, not sure if they are OEM or not, but he got them mounted. I had a Shadow Aero 750, great bike, but the valves needed to be adj. every 6-8k miles or it sounded like there was loose change in the motor..

Good luck and ride safe

K

I would pick the vstar 250 over the rebel just because it is a twin cylinder over the single on the rebel. It's a little smoother and seems to ride better in my opinion. A guy I worked with had one to start with I rode it a few times he claimed low 80's on fuel mileage. I know this probably didn't help much but my :2cents:

I am with you on the Vstar 250, its a Virago renamed , it is a v/twin, but last Rebel I saw was a twin, have they changed it for 2010?

I would pick the vstar 250 over the rebel just because it is a twin cylinder over the single on the rebel. It's a little smoother and seems to ride better in my opinion. A guy I worked with had one to start with I rode it a few times he claimed low 80's on fuel mileage. I know this probably didn't help much but my :2cents:

We have both for training bikes. I like the Star/Virago better with a change of handlebars (the stockers are "buck horns"). I was talking to a fellow coach yesterday and we agree that the Rebel has you spread your legs wider with your feet down due to the side covers. A small shield and bags are not a problem. Around here there are lots of leftovers at the dealers.Here is another option

http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/product/introduction.asp?Cat=Cruise&model=GV250

they use these on base for training and have been OK.

I agree with Squig, have a friend that has a Rebel 250 she just started riding and wanted something small to learn on. Now that she is ready to move up to something she can ride with other bikes she can not sell it to anyone. Not fast enough to be safe on the freeway or highway so she is stuck to side streets and the money for a 650 is about the same, I have owned about everything from a mini-enduro 60 to my RSV and never had a road bike to big or a dirt bike to light.

Honda VLX is good all round for the 650 size bikes, its better on gas than the yamaha 650, and handles better to me.

Believe or not the vlx is just as good on gas as the 250 rebel, the rebel we had would only do 50 mpg at best, the vlx never got below 50mpg.

Gregg

The Rebel is a air cooled parallel twin. They are very good bikes. It would be a tough decision for me between it and the Yamaha. Both are very reliable. I think it would just come down to individual preference.

The one my neighbor has is a single cylinder, possible engine swap or did the older ones come that way. I'm not sure what year it is but it looks newer but they didn't change that much anyways. I never have kept up with them.

The wife wants the Suzuki S40 single cylinder 650 but I'm trying to sway her toward the v-star 650 but she says it's too heavy. :missingtooth:

The one my neighbor has is a single cylinder, possible engine swap or did the older ones come that way. I'm not sure what year it is but it looks newer but they didn't change that much anyways. I never have kept up with them.

The wife wants the Suzuki S40 single cylinder 650 but I'm trying to sway her toward the v-star 650 but she says it's too heavy. :missingtooth:

Nope, they've been twins through all of their production. Here is the latest for the 99-current model (near the same as the 96-97 model; and also close to the one that they made in the mid 80s.

+1 to checking out the VLX600 - not much bigger/heavier at all. Extreemly low C.G.

If it is her ride, does it matter what you want? :rasberry: