IGNORED

BMW inline6

mavericksix

Just read about the new concept from BMW. Looks like they are going to introduce a inline6 with the first version to be a tourer. Wonder how Yamaha is going to react to this one, with Honda going to introduce a new wing as well? Not sure that the V4 in the present state will fly, even with a detuned V-Max. The Strat platform just does not seem to make sense, unless they are trying to recoup investment.

mavericksix

I have never understood why the he V-6 set up is not used in motorcycles.

RandyA

I agree Randy. Slightly wider than the V4.... Maybe we'll see a new RSV with a V6... OK I wonder how far this will go before it blossoms into a full fledged rummor.... :rotf:

When I read this on Motorcycle Daily, my thoughts were that BMW again goes the high tech way. By putting this first in their tourer, I think they are throwing down the gauntlet to the rest of the touring community. However, I think it really is a shot across the bow to Honda. Looks interesting, but I bet it will be $$$$.. Not much wider that a inline 4, with low end grunt.

mavericksix

When I read this on Motorcycle Daily, my thoughts were that BMW again goes the high tech way. By putting this first in their tourer, I think they are throwing down the gauntlet to the rest of the touring community. However, I think it really is a shot across the bow to Honda. Looks interesting, but I bet it will be $$$$.. Not much wider that a inline 4, with low end grunt.

mavericksix

I think this is the 2000CC product they are coming out with for a new replacement to the K1200LT

Well I heard from a friend that worked with a guy that worked with someone that had a friend at a Yamaha dealership from the boss who had gone to a meeting and heard at the meeting from an engineer that there was a plan to start work on a bike to replace the RSV. This person would not confirm anything, but since there are people at Yamaha, and they have to do something, they must all be working on a new location for the Cassette player and how to get the engine to 2500 cc's in a V-twin that is hydrogen cooled with battery backup to the powered center stand.

Reliable rumors persist that it will be a cross between a Victory Vision and a 1966 Honda 50cc scooter. Except cooler.

They are looking for input as to the design of the passenger right footpeg.

Now, you are all caught up, with reliable news and oh look there is a squirrel!

Yes they did. Late 70's. Here is a nice example on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CBX_W0QQitemZ190347015744QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item2c5190f640#v4-37

Kawasaki also made one. The Voyager was a 1300 inline 6 for a couple of years.

I have admired the CBX for years. I saw a couple of lesser examples for sale in a shop in S. Houston a few years ago. That is one beautiful classic bike. Wish I had an extra 12 grand laying around.

there were also Benelli 750cc and 900cc sixes AND the BIG (for the day) KZ1300 six Kawasaki...That one lasted for a number of years and made a pretty decent tourer....

Six in a row isn't a "new" concept for bikes...they didn't last because they were (1) complex; (2) expensive to make, and (3) no more powerful that contemporary 4's. I know BMW's gonna replace the K1200LT, but my bucks will be on a bike based on the all new K1300 FOUR.:hurts:

I really don't think an inline six is going to sell very well. Honda tried it, Kawasaki tried it, Benelli even tried it way back when, and they all fell by the wayside. I think if anybody could have kept it in production, it would have been Honda, with the money that they had even way back then. Maybe someone like BMW will try it for awhile but it will more likely be in a sport bike than a full fledge tourer. Just my:2cents:.

Well I heard from a friend that worked with a guy that worked with someone that had a friend at a Yamaha dealership from the boss who had gone to a meeting and heard at the meeting from an engineer that there was a plan to start work on a bike to replace the RSV. This person would not confirm anything, but since there are people at Yamaha, and they have to do something, they must all be working on a new location for the Cassette player and how to get the engine to 2500 cc's in a V-twin that is hydrogen cooled with battery backup to the powered center stand.

Reliable rumors persist that it will be a cross between a Victory Vision and a 1966 Honda 50cc scooter. Except cooler.

They are looking for input as to the design of the passenger right footpeg.

Now, you are all caught up, with reliable news and oh look there is a squirrel!

You just cant make this stuff up!!!!!:hurts:

Long stroke devided by six means.....small pistons.

RandyA

Yep, bigger pistons mean more torque, which is why harleys, while not having much HP, have plenty of torque.

And if someone did do a V6 it would make sense to have it sideways like the Honda ST1300's V4.

OK it says it's a 1600cc with a long stroke so it makes good torque (96LB) at 2000RPM. Our 1300's make 90+. I think the 6 should be more. What am I missing?

:puzzled:

Piston size! My Zetor 4 cylinder tractor (231 cubic inches) only makes 58 horses, but a BUNCH of torque. That's why twins will almost always generate more torque than a multi of the same displacement. Six cylinders are known for "high torque" in CAGES, where they WILL produce more (typically) than a V8 of similar displacement....:innocent-emoticon: Also note that "long stroke" almost always equals "low revs".... Engines that really wind up are inevitable short strokers...

Now that is cool to see a CBX in that shape. The owner of the company I worked for back then bought one of the first ones in Omaha. He had it for about a month and parked it in our warehouse. I bugged him about riding it and he just would shake his head.

One day he picked me up at the dealer when I dropped off my GW for work and when we got back to the office he tossed me the keys to the CBX. Told me I could use it until I got mine back. I got to say that bike could shread a tire no doubt but the only thing I liked about the bike was from point A to point B it was an awesome experience....as long as the path from A to B was in a straight line. It was a wrestling match to corner in town and don't even think about the twisites under power. Not a corner carver for sure. It had a lot of low end grunt but the weight of the bike kept it from being anything spectacular.

I had the bike for about a week and then it ended up back in the warehouse for a year before he let it go. I don't think he ever put a 1,000 miles on it. He offered it to me but I passed on it. Not what I wanted.

Be fun to ride one again though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEe6c3KIUB4&feature=related]YouTube- V12 CBX running down the road (alley)[/ame]

This guy really knows how to fabricate / weld aluminum, and get fuel injection working on a totally awesome bike !!

It seems he works out of a small shop. I'd love to be able to make something like this.