IGNORED

The end of the rsv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha is really in a no win situation. They will not take much market share away from HD if the go the cuiser style route. HD has a lot of brand loyalty regardless of what you think of their bikes. If they go the Goldwing style route, again GW riders are fanatically loyal. They failed with the first Gen against the GW with an arguably better bike.

I wouldn't be surprised given the market conditions to see Yammie completely abandon the Luxury Touring segment.

I think the frustration of all this is the "potential" Yamaha has, especially with the new VMax engine. But, with all of this, I think there is one thing we can all agree on, whether it is a 1st gen, 2nd gen or whatever, Yamaha has always done a very poor job marketing their touring bike.

RandyA

I totally agree Randya. Yamaha has done a poor job marketing. The 1st Gen was a brilliant motorcycle at the time a better machine then GW1200. I think Honda knew it and made the GW1500 but I still think the 1st Gen was a better bike. Marketing on it was terrible.

This got me thinking what are the various motorcycle manufactures known for. What kind of bikes does one think of when picking a manufacturer. Harley old school bikes no particular model though stands out just old school stuff that all looks the same. Honda's flagship bike is the GW1800. Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki in my mind would be known for sportbikes. With the R1/R6 being Yamaha's flagships, Suzuki the GSX/Hayabusa series, and Kawasaki the Ninja series. BMW for technologically advanced motorcycles.

So I think all the other motorcycles made by Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki all around are not marketed well at all. I kinda like the Suzuki Boulevard M109R but have never seen one on the street. Wouldnt know it even existed if I had not looked at thier website.

Harley does a heck of a job at marketing the whole package not just bikes clothes anything and everything Harley lifestyle BS you hear people quoting but it seems to work. Qudos to their marketing machine. I'm glad an American company does well unfortunately they offer nothing I'm interested in. Maybe if they had a Roadglide type bike with a Vrod motor I might be interested. But all the other manufactures Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki (exclude BMW their in their own world) only in my mind seem to be known for their sport bikes. I think Harley's demographic is an older crowd who has the money to spend on big ticket items. I'm wondering if a large chunk of people that bought Harley want to be in the COOL crowd just to say they have a Harley and maybe arent so interested in the bike. I have had alot of experience with Harley bikes and not really impressed with them though they can take a beating and a good dropping.

In general I think Yamaha and the others need to get the word out on their other motorcycles.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Plastic fins? On the RSV? I don't think so.

I'm sorry, you are correct they are not plastic.

The original comment was not to cover the beautiful engine with plastic.

My thought process was they are not real and are just for looks, so the engine was already being covered up. Not sure why I thought they were plastic. I guess they are aluminum.

I totally agree Randya. Yamaha has done a poor job marketing. The 1st Gen was a brilliant motorcycle at the time a better machine then GW1200. I think Honda knew it and made the GW1500 but I still think the 1st Gen was a better bike. Marketing on it was terrible.

This got me thinking what are the various motorcycle manufactures known for. What kind of bikes does one think of when picking a manufacturer. Harley old school bikes no particular model though stands out just old school stuff that all looks the same. Honda's flagship bike is the GW1800. Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki in my mind would be known for sportbikes. With the R1/R6 being Yamaha's flagships, Suzuki the GSX/Hayabusa series, and Kawasaki the Ninja series. BMW for technologically advanced motorcycles.

So I think all the other motorcycles made by Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki all around are not marketed well at all. I kinda like the Suzuki Boulevard M109R but have never seen one on the street. Wouldnt know it even existed if I had not looked at thier website.

Harley does a heck of a job at marketing the whole package not just bikes clothes anything and everything Harley lifestyle BS you hear people quoting but it seems to work. Qudos to their marketing machine. I'm glad an American company does well unfortunately they offer nothing I'm interested in. Maybe if they had a Roadglide type bike with a Vrod motor I might be interested. But all the other manufactures Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki (exclude BMW their in their own world) only in my mind seem to be known for their sport bikes. I think Harley's demographic is an older crowd who has the money to spend on big ticket items. I'm wondering if a large chunk of people that bought Harley want to be in the COOL crowd just to say they have a Harley and maybe arent so interested in the bike. I have had alot of experience with Harley bikes and not really impressed with them though they can take a beating and a good dropping.

In general I think Yamaha and the others need to get the word out on their other motorcycles.

Just to expand on what you're saying.... take Yamaha as the example ... they don't just make motorcycles... they make watercraft, quads, snow machines, piano's .... the list goes on.... does Harley make any of those other things? No. Since Motorcycles is Harley's "only thing", it makes sense that their marketing of that product far exceeds any other manufacturer (such as Yamaha) of the same product line. Yamaha will put the marketing bucks into the products that they know they can sell the most of ... and that definately isn't a touring style motorcycle.

I don't know about bike shops down USA way but around here, almost every "name brand" bike shop you go into is chock full of dirt bikes, crotch rockets, ATV's, etc .... and all the paraphanalia that goes along with it ... for example, racks and racks of sport bike and dirt bike riding gear and helmets ... very little for the touring or cruising crowd. In direct contrast to that is the Harley dealers ... everything is geared towards the cruiser/tourer style rider.

My thought process was they are not real and are just for looks, so the engine was already being covered up. Not sure why I thought they were plastic. I guess they are aluminum.

Well, there are some things that are not totally real, but can still look real nice. :hihi:

RandyA

I think you guys are wrong about the potential of the Stratoliner. I ride my 2007 Venture more than my 2008 Stratoliner because it is a full dresser. But at 75 mph the Stratoliner is just as smooth. Put the right gear on that bike, full fairing and trunk, and it would work well as a full dresser. And the power is much stronger. As far as the engine design, the roadstar engine that it came from has shown to last, on another site a fellow has over 200,000 miles on his.

I think you guys are wrong about the potential of the Stratoliner. I ride my 2007 Venture more than my 2008 Stratoliner because it is a full dresser. But at 75 mph the Stratoliner is just as smooth. Put the right gear on that bike, full fairing and trunk, and it would work well as a full dresser. And the power is much stronger. As far as the engine design, the roadstar engine that it came from has shown to last, on another site a fellow has over 200,000 miles on his.

As the Strat evolves, I am starting to like it more ... as for the current model ... the one with the fairing and the shorty windshield... I really don't care for "all that black" ... it needs more CHROME!!! and some other color choices... but hey,, we can't ask for too much now can we? (at least it doesn't have a cassette player!)

As the Strat evolves, I am starting to like it more ... as for the current model ... the one with the fairing and the shorty windshield... I really don't care for "all that black" ... it needs more CHROME!!! and some other color choices... but hey,, we can't ask for too much now can we? (at least it doesn't have a cassette player!)

That's one thing I've always liked about Harleys, beautiful paint jobs and lots of choices. I don't like that corbin fairing to much either. I am thinking of putting a fairing on my Stratoliner S and selling my Venture, but I'll probably keep both. I do love my Venture, and I've had 5 Royal Stars to prove it.

The fairing, bags and truck off of a rsv, will almost directly bolt on to a road star.

Look on the delphi forums, I have seen one with the bags and truck. And looking a Karren 99 Road Star, I have not measured it, but it appears to me that the entire assemble off the rear of my RSV would fit.

Her mustang seat will lay right in place of mine, would have to make a bracket to mount it.

If yamaha chose to do so they could easily adapt the roadliner, to carry the current RSV touring package. I just don't believe they will.

Gregg

Just to expand on what you're saying.... take Yamaha as the example ... they don't just make motorcycles... they make watercraft, quads, snow machines, piano's .... the list goes on.... does Harley make any of those other things? No. Since Motorcycles is Harley's "only thing", it makes sense that their marketing of that product far exceeds any other manufacturer (such as Yamaha) of the same product line. Yamaha will put the marketing bucks into the products that they know they can sell the most of ... and that definately isn't a touring style motorcycle.

I don't know about bike shops down USA way but around here, almost every "name brand" bike shop you go into is chock full of dirt bikes, crotch rockets, ATV's, etc .... and all the paraphanalia that goes along with it ... for example, racks and racks of sport bike and dirt bike riding gear and helmets ... very little for the touring or cruising crowd. In direct contrast to that is the Harley dealers ... everything is geared towards the cruiser/tourer style rider.

Yea its the same here. I own a Honda watercraft and they are awesome machines I like them better then the Yamaha's. The Yamaha's are good and they are better sellers then the Honda. Honda doesnt put the marketing effort it seems into their watercraft.

Sorry, I thought my point was obvious. I don't want my luxury touring bike to look like a 2 wheeled car - aka a goldwing. I want to see the motor, not cover it up with sheets of plastic shrouding. whether the fins on the rsv are made of plastic, aluminum or green cheese is irrelevant to that point.

the way i look at it, i buy what i like. i like some of the yammers and i have two. i love the wing and i have one. i think kawasaki is probably one of the best engineered and finished bikes out there. i have two. i am definately not brand dedicated. i'm not saying you have to have five bikes, but if yamaha don't have what you want look else where til you find what you want. the venture is a beautiful bike, probably the best looking of the bunch. it just did'nt fit my needs. to top heavy with my bad legs and not enough power on the low end, (to much shifting), and i just did'nt like the way it handled in the twisties. i will never own a harley cuz they just don't suit me. they are beautiful and well finished but just not worth the money for what you get. i like the new indian, $35,000 get real. i like the victory alot, you got to like it cuz you will probably eat it. nothing wrong with going with what ever you like. thats the neat thing about being able to choose. if yammer don't make it stick with what you have or shop around. lots of really neat bikes out there. i'm sure don won't run you off the site. he puts up with my snarley arse. :2133:

Y'all are certainly right concerning the whole marketing thing. HD has THE market for "cruisers", and there shops thrive on the whole lifestyle thing.

NONE of the Big 4 really push touring bikes (Ya want a "touring" shop, go visit your local BMW dealer). It's not uncommon to even find Honda shops with few or NO 'Wings, and they certainly do not "push" the whole touring thing. WHY? Who knows? They're all into "other products", true, but bikes are pretty big business for 'em.

Triumph and Ducati shops seem to focus on their bikes, but the rest of 'em.....

I know I don't really care for the "big twin" concept..I want something smoother and more sophisticated. A 3rd gen Venture would be GREAT..will it happen? Your guess. Will MAMA YAMA push it even IF they build it? NO, and the other guys don't push their toureres. Yamaha doesn't push any of the others-possible exception being the R1 and R6 sportbikes. Think about it. When was the last time you saw an add for a Venture or even an FJR?????

Several years ago...my dealer could not hardly sell a street bike...I went down once and he had 3 in the shop. Never saw more than 3 there... All the rest were dirt bikes, ATVS and Rhinos running out the door. So many you could not walk in there.

Then the gas prices went up high. He started selling a few street bikes...more and more. Still selling the hell out of Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and Rhinos.

Now he has some street bikes and a few Dirt bikes but his main thing is 4 wheelers and Rhinos. He sells the crap out of them. Dirt bikes kinda fell off some due to a lot a tracks closing due to the fuel prices. He can get anything you want...RSV, Strats, crotch rockets...it don't matter and he will sell it to you but he keeps and sells in this order...#1 4 wheelers...#2 Rhinos...#3 Dirt bikes then all the rest if any at all. He has 2 big warehouses full of 4wheelers and rhinos and dirt bikes and a few street bikes on the show room floor.

Yamaha is focused on what sells. RSVs and RSTD's collect dust at his dealership. He does not get to excited about a street bike cause he don't move them.

Sure once in a while he as a fool like me come in looking for something and he will find it and sell it to me for a deal but he does not keep them to sell off the floor.

I hope they put the new VMAX motor in the 3rd generation touring bike...but am very afraid they are gonna short cut due to the touring bike sales numbers and load up the Stratoliner with a trunk and put it out there for their touring bike. Good bike but why waste all that expensive R&D of the new VMAX engine to use it only in one bike. .

I guess we will just have to wait and see. IF they do put the new VMAX detuned engine in the 3rd gen touring bike...I will probably trade unless it looks like the Victory Vision...I am sorry...

You can see the engine on a 1st gen if you want to. But, it don't have fake fins.

RandyA

Why are my comments being turned into a 1st gen vs. 2nd gen issue. :confused24: Please check my posts. I have not said one word about 1st gen bikes. The only bike I knocked in the least was the Goldwing. I love the 1st gen bike. I almost bought a 1st gen bike. In fact, the only reason I didn't was I didn't have the cash to pay for it, I needed a loan, and my credit union required the bike to be less than 10 years old.

So enough already on the 1st gen / 2nd gen comments. Let's get back to speculating on 3rd gen, which is what THIS thread is supposed to be all about.

:thumbsup2:

Here's a Pic from Patents which Yamaha placed in 2008during Development of the VMAX ...

Does this look as a current VMAX ?

So, make you own Conclusions.

If i'd be in US, i'd buy a used 2009VMAX and make my own Tourer out of it. They sell dirt cheap currently. I'd invest some Brain Time and around 4000 Bucks and be done with a unique 200 hp long Distance Tourer.

Yes Annie I'w still married, been so for 29 years, still employed, I am an Intensive Care RN, for now we are still in demand.

It is seems like every thing I really like they quit making.

Gregg

Hey Footsie, why don't you start liking that ©RAP music?

If you start liking it enough maybe that too will go disapear. And then this world would be a much better place to live! :crackup:

But please, don't start liking Jimmie Buffet, I'd hate to lose him. :no-no-no:

Dave (hater of that noise called rap)

Why are my comments being turned into a 1st gen vs. 2nd gen issue. :confused24: Please check my posts. I have not said one word about 1st gen bikes. The only bike I knocked in the least was the Goldwing. I love the 1st gen bike. I almost bought a 1st gen bike. In fact, the only reason I didn't was I didn't have the cash to pay for it, I needed a loan, and my credit union required the bike to be less than 10 years old.

So enough already on the 1st gen / 2nd gen comments. Let's get back to speculating on 3rd gen, which is what THIS thread is supposed to be all about.

:thumbsup2:

Well, please accept my apology for making a kidding comment on your post.

RandyA

Here's a Pic from Patents which Yamaha placed in 2008during Development of the VMAX ...

Does this look as a current VMAX ?

So, make you own Conclusions.

If i'd be in US, i'd buy a used 2009VMAX and make my own Tourer out of it. They sell dirt cheap currently. I'd invest some Brain Time and around 4000 Bucks and be done with a unique 200 hp long Distance Tourer.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this :) :thumbsup2: