IGNORED

How many of you are retired?

Monsta

dang... my eyes are goin on me... I thought it said "retarded" so I came in here.....

no, NOT retired...yet! :rotf:

Frankly, unlike many folks but like many too, I never planned for retirement so I guess I'll not be retiring. I will; however, collect any retirement income (Canada Pension Plan) I have coming to me. What a crock that is eh? It's gotta be the lowest paying insurance scheme there is going. And "scheme" is an understatement...we are forced to pay into it all our working lives and when we collect, we get below poverty payments and they find every way they can to deduct from it. Meanwhile, they squander it away on poor investments almost to the point that there isn't any left to pay out.

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrr here I go again.... no hair on back of neck gettin raised.

My wife retired a year ago (she's re-tired and I'm still-tired) I'll be 62 next month but am having to much fun working. I did take a buy-out from the Sault Tribe of Chippewa after working there for 18 and a half years and then went to work for the local schools doing the same job (at the same desk:rotf:) and now I'm just adding to my state pension and will probly work another 3 years.. Still playing in my Band (since 1963) and doing a live music, Sat morning radio show..

P.S. is this a poll?? do I win anything???

I retired from 20 years of service from the US Navy in 2001 at the ripe old age of 38. Yes I joined right out of High School.

They gave me a pension.

The first check arrived 1 month after retiring.

It does not pay all the bills, so I am a government contractor (Beltway Bandit) supporting the US Navy.

I plan on retiring from my second carrier somewhere between the ages of 62-65, depending on how my investments do.

I currently participate to the maximum in the 401k at my employer, also I max out my Roth IRA.

MrsSquid's employer does not offer a retirement plan, that is why she is job shopping. She maxes out her simple IRA.

I hope this helps you, as you HAVE to take charge of your own retirement!!!!!!!

I retire in 9 months 3 days. I will be 54 and a half. I will get 68% of my 3 highest years for a retirement and I am partially disabled from the military and get some $ from the VA which helps. If I live to 65 I will start getting a couple of hundred a month from the Bell system that I spent 10 years with before they all split up. I may even get some SS if I make it to 62.

i retired in 1994 at age fifty two.i am now a derelect and have no money.i,m about to move into a newly remodeled two story refridgerator box in downtown st. louis under a bridge.the problem is no shelter for my scooters.i need help.my tomato plants just pooped out and my dog needs food.the squirrels are getting far and few between.never thought retirement would be this neat.if i can just make through december i will be a little closer to social security.what a delema.i'm not begging for help but my puppy is hungry.the vet has put him on a strict diet of filet mignon and lobster.donations would be welcome.bill :rotf::rotf::rotfl::rasberry::rotf::depressed::2133:

Retired at age 49 with a golden hand shake (not expected) and company pension. I did plan on retiring young so invested accordingly.

Best advice is to get a good financial advisor and read the book "The wealthy Barber. They should make that book part of the High School curriculum.

I 'retired' at 63. It kinka went like this "We really appreciate all the things you have done for us, but, we are going to downgrade your position and hire a woman who had the job before you. I know she took my job for a whole lot less $$$. Am I bitter? you may ask, Hell No. I'm having a Ball. Everyday is a Saturday...and you know how much fun they can be....

I feel like a very lucky man . Started at age 21 just out of the service and served 20 years with the State and retired at 41. It was an ugly and intense 20 but I am now almost 61.

I bend over every morning and kiss myself.

I retired at 55 - about 2 years ago. Not really planned - my wife died of cancer in 2003 and I basically lost interest in working so became a bum.

No company pension here and am too young for government benefits so I took to robbing banks - quite lucrative really :thumbsup:- hey Bill - try it, your money woes will disappear.

Anyhow, as to what its like - I love it - every day is a holiday. I spend 5 months in Texas and 7 months in Ontario so I can ride year round. Not saying I will stay retired or stay a bum - but for now - its GREAT!!! (Course if I get caught - wellllllll) :thumbdown:

Eugene

Retired in 2003 after a little more than 30 years in the Army (49 years old), went to work as a contractor, went back in the Army, am back on retirement and back working as a contractor again. My goal in life is to be like Lowell, and once my wife retires I do believe I will start the travelling.

I retired with 32 years under me at my county job in 98 at age 51 and then worked another 8 years as a golf course mechanic. Lost that job last year and been just doing odd jobs at home till now. I just recieved my disability staus from Social Security so am offically retired for good. Currently I'm 60. Like many here I should of planned better for these golden years but can't complain too much. :confused24:

I like these 6 Saturdays in a row too. :thumbsup2:

I wanna be like Lowel too so hopefully soon I'll be following in his footsteps.:whistling:

Larry

At what age did you retire?

Do you just get a company pension or income from your own investments made through the years?

Any advice on those investments?

Do you mean retired completely...as in work no more? Cause I retired once at 39, but that retirement check only pays the house payment...be another 11 years before I can retire again, then I'll have to figure out what to do for another 15 years.

Guest Yamahawg

Retired last November right after my 50 birthday. w/ 29+ years on the job. Company pension will pay the bills. 401k plan kicks in at age 59 1/2.

Back problems on concrete got the best of me So I retired early. Not as lucrative retirement as we wanted but my back has somewhat improved which makes it all worth it.

Besides, I figured that if I went ahead and retired now I might actually get to enjoy retirement a few years before Social Security fails and I have to go back to work. Otherwise I might not get to retire at all...

Retired from the Air Force in 89 with 22 years service. Went to work for the FAA as an Electronics Technician maintaining Radar and communications equipment. Will be eligible to retire from there in a little over 2 years but probably won't. Katrina put us back a little financially and I want to get the house paid off before I quit the FAA. Am still driving charter buses part time but don't know how much longer I will do that. We are on our first vacation in almost 4 years and I really like this. I usually wind up using my vacation time to do trips with the bus and then have no vacation time for me/us. We are on our way home from South Dakota, which has been a fantastic trip. Did it all and saw most everything. If and when I retire it will be when I talk my wife into buying a motorhome or a trailer and start traveling all the time.

Still waiting to win the Lottery:rotf:
Yup, sure would like to take the easy way out, and I guess everybody else in here would like to hit the lotto also, lol.

But anyway; I retired the first week of 96 after 33 years with Pacific Bell (now AT&T) walked out the gate on my 51st birthday. But instead of taking the pension, I took the buy out. I ended up because of my financial advisor, losing half my money (long story) after 10 years of waking up to a Saturday all the time, then the pension stopped. But the money that was left (I fired the first one), but hooked up with another financial advisor, and reinvested what I had left, and hope to retire a second time at around 66 when I get full S.S. benifits. So just working part time right now, wifes job pays the bills, I make the beer money, gas money, and (OH), and bike riding money :rotf::rotf:. But at least I can say I had a great retirement for at least 8 of those 10 years until the money stopped.:whistling: