IGNORED

leather vest

naturbar

looking for advice/input on purchasing a leather vest - i am also interested in men & ladies leather riding jackets - preferably the collarless type - heck i'm also looking for full face helmets for me & wife w/snell rating and removable liner. i've been goggling this stuff but was wanting some advice from this very diverse group of riders, thanks......

There are at least a hundred makers of the items you are looking to buy. Best advice I can give you is to (1)first evaluate the amount of riding time you will be doing and (2) remember that you generally get what you pay for. Your riding gear should be of the highest quality to afford you the comfort and protection needed when on the road. This is not the area in which you want to sacrifice quality over dollars.

Good luck and happy hunting!:banana:

Boomer.....who's vest,chaps,and leather jacket is nearly 16 years old....and all still look like new.

I don't know about leather shops in NC but I would recommend you probably pay a little more and find a good leather shop in your area. You will be sure it fits and know what you are getting. Most "discount" leather and clothing I have tried has run several sizes too small (OK, I am a big guy, but hey, after so many X's it ought to be BIG, not just large!) :) And quality is minimal. Again, you get pretty much what you pay for.

As far as helmets go, I am a big supporter of Snell, and believe you do get something for one with that rating, but I can go with a good DOT for a motorcycle.

I got a Shark Evoline modular helmet recently, it is the best helmet I have had so far. Not only is it a great winter full face helmet with great wind control, but it can be ridden as an open face with the chin bar flipped all the way back. It will be my 3 season helmet now. (fall, winter, spring). Worst thing is that it is heavy, but really, it isn't a problem. This helmet does run a size small, so order on size larger than normal. I found it very comfortable.

looking for advice/input on purchasing a leather vest - i am also interested in men & ladies leather riding jackets - preferably the collarless type - heck i'm also looking for full face helmets for me & wife w/snell rating and removable liner. i've been goggling this stuff but was wanting some advice from this very diverse group of riders, thanks......

+1 on the find a local leather shop and make sure it fits.

If I were you...I would ride over to Gatlinburg...there is a leather shop there downtown that has some good prices on chaps...and they have all kinds of boots and jackets you could try on. Also there is one in Pigeon forge that has more stuff there...try them on...touch them smell them...

But I did order one from JakeWilson.com for my son...River Road...heavy and thick leather...really nice...for a good price.

there is a local leather shop here in greensboro that you might look in to. Its in the flea market (of all places) out on highway 29 that is near the lowes and walmart. It is located in the back of a pet/flower/leather shop. Nice lady and she has some nice vest and chaps in stock and also does custume leather work on demand. As for helmets and other riding gear I get all of mine from cycle gear on High point road. I love my 7 zero 7 modular helmet made espesially for sale at that store. just thought of it but stroud honda off of 29 also runs good deals on scorpion helmets sometimes.

Good luck

David

Like folks have said, this is NOT the place to skimp on quality. IF you ever need 'em, you will need them BADLY. You will NEVER hear anyone who's crashed talking about how they wished they had LESS or CHEAPER gear on when it happened:whistling:

Also, steer CLEAR of all the "patch leather" vests, jackets, etc. This stuff is pieced together and will instantly come apart if you ever crash it. Buy good quality gear and then USE it. :080402gudl_prv:

First let me say that all the previous comments are right on when you are talking safety gear. However, I don't consider a vest as safety gear, It's just a place to store my patches.

My wife and I have found that leather vests are fine on the road and in the cooler times, but when you're stopped, and it's 90+ degrees in the shade, leather is just not an option.

We found a pair of vests in black denim and made the switch. Very comfortable year around and looks good. We have friends who have bought the blue denim. Not my cup but they like it.

Just because it's motorcycle related, it don't have to be leather.

First let me say that all the previous comments are right on when you are talking safety gear. However, I don't consider a vest as safety gear, It's just a place to store my patches.

My wife and I have found that leather vests are fine on the road and in the cooler times, but when you're stopped, and it's 90+ degrees in the shade, leather is just not an option.

We found a pair of vests in black denim and made the switch. Very comfortable year around and looks good. We have friends who have bought the blue denim. Not my cup but they like it.

Just because it's motorcycle related, it don't have to be leather.

dale,

good input. my vest will be for patches and to be used during PGR events (if appropriate).

buz

I got all my leather items from leatherup.com. Fine quality ar bargin prices. I was worried about quality/fit and the original item was wrong size and they immeadiately helped me get the right sixe. I bought 2 leather coats 1 vest and chaps and they are are great quality and if you go check their prices you will be amazed at the cost savings. As far as wearing a leather vest I got one with laces on the size so that I could adjust fit. Chaps have to be trimmed for leg length and can then be left uncuffed. Riding in a vest in 106 degree heat here is Texas is not fun but...the leather will keeep the sun off your body and there for cool you more that not wearing one.

Just my 2 cents

I have a couple reveiws in the gear section. The BELL Star helmet for $200.00 is a great buy. Its a $550.00 lid that gets great ratings. I run textile gear to save money and I think its warmer. Nice thick leather gloves with the gauntlet for winter riding. Mesh in the summer. I have the mesh jacket and pants for hot weather. It not as good as leather for sliding but it the next best I think. I like a nice 3/4 lenth jacket for the winter with the pants with the removable liners. Good boots are a must also. I like a real MC touring boot for my feet. I'm ATGATT and love it.

I have a couple reveiws in the gear section. The BELL Star helmet for $200.00 is a great buy. Its a $550.00 lid that gets great ratings. I run textile gear to save money and I think its warmer. Nice thick leather gloves with the gauntlet for winter riding. Mesh in the summer. I have the mesh jacket and pants for hot weather. It not as good as leather for sliding but it the next best I think. I like a nice 3/4 lenth jacket for the winter with the pants with the removable liners. Good boots are a must also. I like a real MC touring boot for my feet. I'm ATGATT and love it.

I too am ATGATT. :thumbsup2: Frankly, I'm too old for skin grafts and the nonsense that goes with 'em (pain, etc..) I wear Olympia AST jacket/Ranger overpants in cooler weather, Olympia Airglide pants.jackets in summer. Couple that with good motorcycle leather gloves, (heavy for winter), real motorcycle boots (BMW Allroads) and a decent helmet (Arai Corsair or Nolen 102), and I can keep comfortable regardless of weather (hot or cold) and still have some decent protection in case things go bad. When I was a kid I rode in jeans and t-shirt, used a denim jacket when it was chilly, and had a horsehide MC jacket for really cold weather. As I got older and saw what happens to denim after it hits concrete or asphalt, I decided I'd rather had a little "extra" twixt my hide and terra firma.

Just my 2 cents... Like one of the other guys said, vests aren't "protective" gear, nor are chaps (your tail is kinda "vulnerable"..) In the end, we all have to decide what level of risk we're willing to accept. Ya makes yur choice and ya takes yur chances. I encourage all riders to use good quality gear-it can really make a difference if the worst happens. Just don't fall into the trap of not wearing protective gear 'cause your buddy doesn't. He/she may be (1) luckier than you; (2) a better rider than you; or (3) just willing to accept more risk than you. BE COMFORTABLE with YOUR decision-because ultimately YOU (and those who love you) are the one's affected by it. God bless and ride safe!

I got a Shark Evoline modular helmet recently, it is the best helmet I have had so far. Not only is it a great winter full face helmet with great wind control, but it can be ridden as an open face with the chin bar flipped all the way back. It will be my 3 season helmet now. (fall, winter, spring). Worst thing is that it is heavy, but really, it isn't a problem. This helmet does run a size small, so order on size larger than normal. I found it very comfortable.

I, too, have this helmet. I use it primarely during the late fall, winter, & early spring on the Venture, but it is my full time helmet while on my V-Max. Have to agree, it is a bit heavy, but it doesn't "feel" any worse than my Scorpion 3/4 helmet. Not the best helmet for headsets, though. I've heard of people getting them in, but I have no idea where they are putting the mic. I ended up just putting a set of Motocomm Thumper helmet speakers in for music when on the V-Max, although I did have to hack it up a little to fit. The conversion feature is absolutely wonderful, though...

As for speakers/mic on the Evoline, I had mine done by Wingstuff.com

They actually taught J&M how to put the system in that helmet, and have better prices than J&M. They will install in your helmet or you can buy the entire thing from them. J&M for some reason would not sell their system to me to put in myself, they had to do it. Wingstuff also beat J&M's install price by quite a bit.

When I saw how it was made (interior doesn't come out real easy, some plastic bits where the speakers might go, I decided a pro install was better than none. The mic is a small one on a small flexible wire so it is there with the chin bar up or down. Works well.