IGNORED

Why do they haul their bikes?

Kirby

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to tour the New England states again but this time with the wife. But, she will not ride but a few hours a day so riding that far w/o a trailer will never happen. I don't have a trailer but if I ever want the wife along it'll be on a trailer. I can't believe this is even an issue with anyone.

I know 1 fella who was anti-trailer and made fun of those who did trailer.

Until he went down in Arkansas and his dad had to bring him a truck and trailer to haul his bike back to Dallas because of his broken arm.

Now on most rides over 200 miles away from homebase, he trailers. He trailered his bike to Alberta and then rode up to the Arctic Circle though.

I admit, I'm one of those that shake their head when I see a bike on a trailer, but I understand it. I rode from Amarillo to the Dragon and was burnt up, rained on, hailed on, dodged wildlife, took twice as long, burned up twice as much gas as expected, broke down once and had to push the bike a 1/4 mile wrong way on the interstate pulling a trailer in the rain. I did not enjoy that ride at all. It tossed a shadow over all the good riding I did do around the Dragon.

C'mon now, let's be fair. All the bikes on trailers aren't HDs. I'll admit that I personally believe there are more posers who own that brand than others, but we even have a few of our own posers here, right Bill? :stickpoke: He hauls rice on his trailer just about anywhere he goes with it!

There ain't no accounting for it, but fact is, some people would rather be seen WITH a bike than ON it!

Goose

+1,,, we have a guy here at work who owns a Honda VTX1300, and he trailers it to Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach every year for those bike weeks. 350 miles from his house to Myrtle Beach, and only 100 to Daytona Beach.

One person who use to work here trailered his Goldwing from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach one year.

You know, when I was a young'n those cops just didn't take kindly to me ridin my dirt bike to the races. So I been using a trailer whenever I want ever since. And I'll bet I can out ride most . :whistling: Now that's :stirthepot: :rotf::rotf:

Seriously, Like its been said. As long as its not being used as driveway jewelery then its OK with me how you decide to use it.

I'd love to tour the New England states again but this time with the wife. But, she will not ride but a few hours a day so riding that far w/o a trailer will never happen. I don't have a trailer but if I ever want the wife along it'll be on a trailer. I can't believe this is even an issue with anyone.

Well if you make it up here let me know. I've riden about every road within 100 miles. I know all the good places to eat and ride. I was stationed near Manasas in 73 at Vint Hills Farm Station. It used to be a top secret post and now I hear it is housing. I spent the night down in Fredericksburg a couple of years ago on my way to a rally down in Maggie Valley. Took a road down through where a lot of the battles of the civil war were fought. It was a beautiful area with huge horse and beef farms and white board fences.

Someone told me those bikes are a lot like dogs...they like to ride int he back of trucks!

:rotfl:

Here's a question just to see what the answers will be. Just curious. I do a good bit of riding and notice this alot. Why do riders of certain bikes(read-"American made") haul their bikes around on trailers or the back of pickups? Yea, I'm gonna stir it up now!!! Heh Heh Heh:duck::duck::duck::mytruck:

If I am going someplace for a weekend or long weekend I will ride and stay in Motel. If I am going for 4 days or more I trailer behind my Motorhome and stay in campgrounds. Have all the comforts of a motel, plus get to sit around campfire at night and cookout. It is all about enjoying yourself.

I can't think of a better reason then this. Would love to have a set up like that. But I do want to add that I haven't seen a posting from any of the 3 owners of these bikes so far.

I can't think of a better reason then this. Would love to have a set up like that. But I do want to add that I haven't seen a posting from any of the 3 owners of these bikes so far.

Hey Mike....was it you that Russell was telling me about a thumb warmer that was offered to be purchased for

:whistling:

Hey Mike....was it you that Russell was telling me about a thumb warmer that was offered to be purchased for

:whistling:

Yes it was. Seems if a person has a bolt they can't get out and someone has a try on it that "Your standing around with your thumb..." somewhere so I received the prestigious award. But I'm making a backing for it with certification for all who have gotten it or WILL. Oh yes, my name will be first, but it will be passed on. I would give it back to Russ but since no one could really work on his bike in the back of a pickup I guess it should go to the next. I'll be posting when I've got it ready to go and will send it to someone who deserves it as much as I did. (subliminal message inserted here to Russ... I sooooo owe you for this one and I will not be deterred)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....your stirrin the pot now!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Can't wait to see what they have to say.......................

i have read EVERY post in this thread, and not one person thought to mention SAFETY!

if you trailer your bike long distances, you are FAR less likely to become a "cager got me" statistic.the more time you spend in the saddle, the higher your chances of getting"nailed", or "struck by a critter".

just my observation.

just jt

Oh yea.... I might have ommited something when I said Lowell tried to get a screw lined up properly, I might have... mind you I said MIGHT have had a beer in my hand while watching but then again I more then likely had the manual out to assist in the proper turning and alignment of screw. You make the call. :whistling: BTW, anybody know who the person on the right is in this picture?????????????

Well fellers, it's like this, there are two types of motorcycle owners, (1) Riders and (2) Polishers. Me, I'd rather ride it than polish. Some folks are the other way around.

As for trailering, there are legitimate reasons (as noted above:snow2:) to trailer a bike. A bike with a lot of miles on it riding on a trailer belongs to a rider....one a trailer with VERY low miles (but lotsa chrome:happy65:) it belongs to a Polisher.

i have read EVERY post in this thread, and not one person thought to mention SAFETY!

if you trailer your bike long distances, you are FAR less likely to become a "cager got me" statistic.the more time you spend in the saddle, the higher your chances of getting"nailed", or "struck by a critter".

just my observation.

just jt

By the same logic, you are FAR less likely to . . yada yada yada ... if you just leave the bike in the garage, or on the showroom floor.

Me, I bought my bike to RIDE, so that's what I do. If you bought your bike to do something else, then do that.

Goose

Yes it was. Seems if a person has a bolt they can't get out and someone has a try on it that "Your standing around with your thumb..." somewhere so I received the prestigious award. But I'm making a backing for it with certification for all who have gotten it or WILL. Oh yes, my name will be first, but it will be passed on. I would give it back to Russ but since no one could really work on his bike in the back of a pickup I guess it should go to the next. I'll be posting when I've got it ready to go and will send it to someone who deserves it as much as I did. (subliminal message inserted here to Russ... I sooooo owe you for this one and I will not be deterred)

:crying: Boy, talk about no good deed going unpunished. Here I was, merely explaining to Squidly how magnanimus you were in wanting to share your prestegious award with some other deserving member and the slings and arrows start.

Heck, you'd a thought I told him about how someone had to wake up from a full sleep and go out to ask a bunch of rowdies to tone it down so that other folks could get some sleep.

But no, I never even raised that issue. Nor did I mention that some of us had too dawn the mantle of good will ambassadore keep the civilians mullified during breakfast each morning.

And I never breathed a word of ...... :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Edited by Black Owl

When we went to Nelson my wife drove her van and I rode the bike. With her bad back she simply can not ride that much. On the way back she stopped in the Okanagan and picked up boxes of fresh fruit. Win/Win. I saw a neat trailer/camper on Used Victoria that looked interesting. Holds two harleys and has a kitchen, bathroom and queen sized bed. Used once. $ 18,000.00.

thats cuz i was wondering why such nice lookin bikes were on the trailer.. then it came to me.. up on the trailer spectators could get a much better veiw of them there fine specimans.. dont they look like they are on display?? of coarse you always end up with those whom always have to touch every thing.. so put that in your pipe and have another toke.. (lol):thumbsup2:

Trailer if it works for you.

My wife can not ride for much more than 250 per day and I like to ride 500+ a day if I am going a distance.

How we handle this is, I fly her to my destination and I ride. Once there we can tour around most of the days and enjoy.

I will fly her home and then I can ride the distance home.

This works well for us as I like to put in lot's of miles per day and I have her there at the end point. Best of both worlds.

If I did not have the $ to fly her, I would consider a trailer.

I do see quite a few of HD's though. Why....I am unsure.