IGNORED

looking to own a venture need advice

Guest terrycanning

Guest terrycanning

hey to all i am new to this site and to web chating but I would like to ask a question. I am looking at trading my 1500 vulcan for a new venture. can i get some feed back from those who own one.

Terry,

It all depends on what your looking for in a bike. Are you looking for a full touring machine? or just something to put a few hundred miles on at a time?

The Venture is made for the long haul and loves the highway, but there is a price to pay. The machine is VERY big, and somewhat top heavy. It can be cumbersome at slow speeds. The reason I mention this is if you are looking for an around town machine, perhaps the Venture won't work as well. Now if you are riding 2 up and are looking to take long rides and be very comfortable doing just that...then this is the rig you want.

It's a totally different machine being it's a V4 instead of a twin, that takes a bit of getting used to. It has all the toys and bells to make long rides comfortable, like cruise, sterio/CB and the full fairing. They are extremely reliable and are a blast to ride once you have gotten used to them.

You will get many responces to this post I'm sure, but this is just my take as I'm not sure exactly what your looking for in a bike. As always ask questions, as there will be many answers :happy34:

Well I don't/haven't owned a Nomad but am close friends with JQ aka Gadget and have ridden his bike many times and He mine. For one up local keep the Nomad, two up or trips go for the Venture. JQ had to put allot of time and $$$ in the Nomad to beat me 2 up on the Venture for roll on power or off the line. We dialed his bike in on his son's dyno and I could no longer give him the jump at the light ( I usually gave him a bike length or 2) after he changed the timing and intake with the Dyna mod. My wife has spent time on the back of his bike and wants to get back on the Venture as soon as she can. Hope this helps. Rod

I've had (2), great bikes w/ very few issues. Very comfortable, I personally like the stock pillow seat. You will want to change out the stock tires somewhere between 5 - 10k (most people seem to like the Avons), I have them on my Royal Star Tour Deluxe and will never go back.

Some folks have noisy clutch baskets, bad rear shocks, but I don't think this is the majority. I think you will be happy w/ this bike.

Terry - I too traded up from a V Twin about six weeks ago. I now have about 2k miles on my RSV and love it. Today my wife and I put 175 miles on the bike. There's no way that would have happened on the ol' Suzi. I too came here looking for input. The people on this site are fantastic. Any questions or concerns you have can be answered here. Browse through some old posts. You will find lengthy discussions on the clutch basket whine (I was cursing it today - but will soon have it taken care of), final drive howl, tires, shocks, etc. This site and its members have a wealth of information. But anyway, to your question, we love our RSV but at 804 lbs dry it does take some getting used to at parking lot speeds. A video from www.ridelikeapro.com will help handle the heavyweights at the low speeds.

It is big and heavy, but as far as the around town thing, once you get use to it, it is not that bad. I use mine around town all the time. And on test rides I found it better at slow speeds than a Goldwing or BMW LT. And of course there are some tricks to make it even better. 40psi in the rear shock helps and so for the only thing I've done to mine.

I went from a Nomad to the RSV about 3 months ago. The dealer where I traded in was about 2 hours away on the freeway(lots of traffic). When we got there both my wife and I were somewhat tired, ears ringing (cobra pipes) hands vibrating. It took us about an hour for the transaction and then the same trip back.

I had trouble at first keeping my speed down because this thing just wanted to fly! And since the sound is so different it took me a while to adjust.

When we got home neither of us was tired, our heads weren't vibrating and we were ready to go for another 2 hours. Haven't looked back since even though we realy liked the Nomad!

I just got mine a month ago - I moved up from a V Star 1100 - and I love it! I think I could probably ride it forever, I just don't tire out on it at all.

I have done one 3200 km ride since I got it and lots of commuting - I'll jump on it to go around town no problem. We keep the speeds way down and I got close to 50 mpg (US) for the whole trip.

I have been doing lots of parking lot practice and feel pretty comfortable with U turns and panic stops but I want to take it to an advanced rider course next year (after the soon to arrive SNOW melts). I put 5 psi in the front suspension and 20 in the back. Others seem to run more in the back but I am working my way up...

One negative - I am not all that happy with the paint quality, lots of little scratches already ;-(

My V Star feels like a dirt bike now!

Ditto to all the above posts. Welcome to the site. I had concerns/issues when I first got mine, but I have gotten used to the quirks, such as a high power band and low speed handling. This is a fine machine that will keep up with most anything on the road and not beat you to death doing it. I am 6'5" and the Harley Ultra and Goldwing did not fit me nearly as well. The wife loves being the Queen of Sheba on the backside with all the room and creature comforts that come standard on this machine. Go get you one.

I been wondering how the Second Gen. would handle curves and hairpin roads and I have to say I was really impressed with their handling when we were in Eureka Springs.These bikes did great hanging with the First Gen. in the curves, heck some of them were even making sparks fly, COOL. And not one lost control of these big beast.So I have to say is when it comes time when I able to buy another bike it will be a Second Gen. Then I'll have the First & Second Gen.Ventures in the garage.

buddy

Terry, I have both a 1998 Vulcan Classic 1500 and a 2005 Midnight Venture. Here is how they compare in my opinion.

The Vulcan is a great bike for running around town or short hops (100 miles).

You already know how the Vulcan handles and it’s power. What you can expect from the Venture is more of everything including size. The venture is smooth over most road surfaces where the Vulcan can be stiff. The Venture has more power and a longer power band than the Vulcan as well as an Over Drive. Driver and passenger comfort on the Venture is far ahead of the Vulcan. Even after I put Mustang driver and passenger seats on the Vulcan it still doesn’t compare to the Venture for comfort. Handling is about the same for both bikes after you learn torqueing techniques.

I guess I would say that they both have a place in my garage because one is paid for and is fun to ride (short travel).

Where I really found the difference was on my daily trip to work and back (100 mile round trip). On the Vulcan, by the time I got to work after traffic, wind buffeting, bike vibration and all the maneuvering I was worn out and tired.

On the Venture, my ride to work was easy and comfortable and did not wear me out at all. I guess that says the most for my choice.

Moakster

The RSV is an OUTSTANDING bike, and much easyer to ride than my other bike. A 1950 H-D FL with tank shift and foot clutch.

The RSV even has automatic timing adjustment. On my H-D you have to twist the left hangrip to chage the timing.

The RSV even has suspension in the rearend....

When people say it is top heavy, dont beleve them, yes it weighs more than most other bikes on the road, but if you learn HOW to ride a touring bike, it is easy to manage.

Terry...I love big bikes for their comfort and smoothness...that's just where I am at today, and that was not always the case with me. Only you can decide where your at presently and what type of bike (sometimes owning more than one is nice because they are all different) will satisfy you. I have been toying with selling one of mine for over a year now and going with something smaller...but I am having a hard time parting with what I have because I really love both bikes and enjoy them for what they do. Both are big...and I enjoy riding both either across town or long distance...so the big bike has never been a problem for me just going short distance.

Just do your homework and enjoy whatever you decide...and if you decide down the road it's not your cup of tea...start from the beginning and do it again.

Best wishes on your journey!

I traded an 06 Nomad in on my 07 Venture, Ilove this bike out on the open road. The only bike I've had that compaired use an 01 GL1800, but the Venture just looks so much better.

I then went back to the same dealer and got a used MeanStreak for around town and short rides (100miles or less).

If you can keep both bikes then you got it covered all the way around.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest terrycanning

I am so overwhelmed by the great advice and opinions from all of you. Thank you so much for all your input you have gave me alot to think about but I think it is all done but writing the check. I hope that I can meet some of you on the road some time. This site is amazing. Thanks again

There are a lot of words of wisdom posted here, I myslelf ride a 1st Gen, and just purchased a lighter V Star 1300 touring. Not trying to sway you at all, the RSV is a great bike, it has to be with so many people riding it. Good luck with you new bike when you get it............ and as for the quote below, we could have told you how great this place is and how addicting it is, so watch out, make sure you past a pic when you get that new ride, cause that is Rule # 1. This site is amazing and you can thank Freebird for that........:cool10::cool10:

I am so overwhelmed by the great advice and opinions from all of you. This site is amazing. Thanks again

Guest KitCarson

I have been riding bikes for a long, long, long time. And 20 years of that is daily, used to use one to work and back, when I was in the military, rode one everywhere, and that is the time period I purchased my first big comfort bike. It was a Harley, 1973 Electra Glide, one day going up a hill with only 4200 miles on it , it was down in second gear, throttle wide open and going all of 15 miles an hour at the top.......after being trailered to the local shop, found out the rear piston was egg or oval shaped, and top of the piston had blown a hole in the top.

Yesterday I went to the local custom bike shop, where all of them know me and they had a new Harley dresser sitting out in the front , wanted to naturally sell it to me!!, I honestly told them I do not wish to own this bike, but they told me to take it for a spin anyway. It is a nice bike, but the stock seat(drivers seat) is a little firm, not comfortable, and the gearing is six gears and there is no wide range like the venture. On the venture I can stay in third gear all over town and usually not even shift. Not so with the Harley, it will wear you out shifting all the time.

So the closest bike to a venture , still cannot compare to it. And an air cooled engine-in no way can in all situations hold up and be reliable like the venture engine. Take an air cooled engine out on the interstate........run it hard and get held up for an hour of stop and go during road construction or an accident........do it again another time, I can assure you you will develop oil leaks.........that is just how it is.

A long time ago I switched to the Honda and Yamaha motorcycles. I have never owned a Kawasaki, but the Honda and Yamaha machines are simply reliable. That is the bottom line. If you like to ride, you can depend on them. I have only one time had one let me down, I had a Honda Shawdow 1100, and one day a the gas pump the starter went bad. This still did not strand me, a simple push and hop on and pop it in gear and I was off again. (actually I put it in third gear and held in the clutch and popped that when I was seated) So let me shut up, I have rode a lot of bikes, so let me tell you about the venture.

First and of great importance is its reliability. When you get ready to go for a ride and walk out and turn the key, it is going to go. And on your ride it is going to take you there and back. I honestly thing the worst thing that will ever happen with it is maybe a bolt or something get loose and fall out, I know I always check the axle nuts and major things after each ride......little stuff I never check it till it happens Ha!

It is also very eye appealing. This is a pretty bike. Called a copy of the Harley, and it is, that is a fact. The bottom line is it is a very pretty, highly reliable bike, with power to spare. The way the gearing is set up , it has such a wide power band range, it is a joy to ride. Around town you can (with experience) learn to never set your feet down at stop lights. Once in awhile I will have to stop, rarely, I can poke along in gear at a snail pace and not have to slip the clutch, the power band is ideal. One back roads , out for a spin, just riding to be going somewhere, 45 to 50 miles and hour, 4th gear is all you ever need. You never use high gear or overdrive under 55. or I do not.

You will hear stories and read on this site, the bike is top heavy. It really is not at all. Yes it is a heavy bike and a little cumbersome doing something like turning it around in a gravel parking lot........it does take a little getting used to, but that will take you about two hours. Thing is you learn to ride these big machines a little different than smaller cruisers. You plan ahead, like that gravel parking lot, park so you do not have to turn it around and can just go, be observant, look for gravel, oil, anti freeze, dips, things that may cause you to do the big turn over in the parking lot!! (Yes sooner or later it happens to all of us!!)

The venture is a wonderful machine, pretty, reliable, comfort unequaled by any other, the motor purrs like a cat, (yea I know it has cut gears and has a little whine-hey ride a Harley for a day with straight pipes-it will be two days before you can hear again) All in all, it is my opinion, and yes we all have one, the venture is the best of the best. You cannot go wrong with one of these machines. Dealers......well they are all the same, some are good, some are not, some will bend over backwards to help you, some have about as much sense as an chicken......and I would not want them to turn a bolt on my bike anyway.

Go buy you a Venture, take it easy the first couple weeks, you will get used to it and fall in love with the bike. I can assure you there is no other bike made that can compare to this one.

Kit