IGNORED

should the gas cap and tank get hot?

new 09 RSV-S with about 1000 miles on it. I will write up my first impressions in a later post but first I have this question.

My gas cap and gas tank get to the point of being so hot it would almost burn my hand. is this the way they are?? does not seem right!

I am not talking about it setting in the sun, I am talking about when driving it either back roads (not stop and go but hills and twisties) or in town stop and go. air temp above 90 degrees F.

Thanks

Jerry

new 09 RSV-S with about 1000 miles on it. I will write up my first impressions in a later post but first I have this question.

My gas cap and gas tank get to the point of being so hot it would almost burn my hand. is this the way they are?? does not seem right!

I am not talking about it setting in the sun, I am talking about when driving it either back roads (not stop and go but hills and twisties) or in town stop and go. air temp above 90 degrees F.

Thanks

Jerry

If the air temp is above 90f and sun shining, I'd suggest anything that is metal would feel that way. Ever set your bare arm out the window of your car only to scream and jump when you realized how hot the metal is? oowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

No it should not be HOT!!. Take it back to the dealer after riding with the tank hot and have someone arrive just ahead to see if you can get them to feel the tank as soon as you arrive. Perhaps you can also get a thermometer and touch it to the tank and take a picture of the readings. If you have a continuing issue let the dealer work it out.You may have an electrical issue or perhaps some type of heat transfer issue from engine. MY 99 never gets hot. I rode 345 miles one day in 106% (thatss Texas in the summer)heat to get home and I never had a hot tank.

My:2cents:

I also have an 07 roadstar and ride it when its even hotter. neither the cap nor gas tank get even close to this hot. they do get warm but not hot. maybe the amount of air going over/around the tank? I don't know it just feels too hot.

Jerry

No it should not be HOT!!. Take it back to the dealer after riding with the tank hot and have someone arrive just ahead to see if you can get them to feel the tank as soon as you arrive. Perhaps you can also get a thermometer and touch it to the tank and take a picture of the readings. If you have a continuing issue let the dealer work it out.You may have an electrical issue or perhaps some type of heat transfer issue from engine. MY 99 never gets hot. I rode 345 miles one day in 106% (thatss Texas in the summer)heat to get home and I never had a hot tank.

My:2cents:

I'll second this... In early august, I put on ~ 900 miles in 2 days, both 100+ all day and the tank & gas cap were warm (obviously) but I definitely would not consider it too hot to touch or anything... Sounds like a visit to the dealer is in order... I am def. interested in hearing about what the problem is; electrical? exhaust leak? gremlin with a torch?

If the air temp is above 90f and sun shining, I'd suggest anything that is metal would feel that way. Ever set your bare arm out the window of your car only to scream and jump when you realized how hot the metal is? oowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

ooopsie ... guess I didn't "read" it right (not sitting out in the sun) ... dang these cheapo readin glasses anyhoo!!

I took it in to the yamaha dealer, he felt it, said it wasn't that hot he had seen hotter. so i went around a few blocks so it could get hotter and he said it still was not that hot. I asked him why it would heat up that much more in the short ride i took, since he felt it, the first time. He went into some drivel about how some bikes are just hotter than others and with all the wind protection (fairing and lowers and fairing deflectors ETC) not much air in that area. He said he would call Yamaha and see if they had any information on this (what ever that means). Anyway...

if any of you have a 2nd gen without too many mods and have an infrared thermometer and can take readings while your cruising or as soon as you stop. read the back of the tank close to the seat on the sides and the gas cap and reply here or email me direct, at my email listed, with your readings and bike information. maybe with this specific information I can get more cooperation from yama mama. I have a probe coming to me Thursday or Friday and will post my findings then. but if i could get some others by then I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Jerry

Good thinking.

If it is hot to the touch then it is TOO hot... Hope you get this bad boy worked out. It would be a shame to get the shaft from your dealer with something like this... Although if it is a stuck thermostat and the bike overheats and it damages something it would still be up to the dealer to fix it since you are clearly covered under the warranty...

Good luck, I hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

I spent 23 years in CA. Bought my 05 from Folsom Yamaha. Never did the tank get too hot to touch even on those 108 degree days in the valley. I have lived in San Antonio the last 2 years. And its HOT here. My tank still is never too hot to touch. It will be warm sometimes but never hot to the touch. Say over 115. And it gets hotter sitting in the TX sun than it does riding it.

should i be able to hear or feel the fan come on? if the fan does not come on shouldn't one of the idiot lights come on?

let me clear up how hot the tank gets, it is very hot but I can touch it, and it is at its hottest while i am riding not standing still. makes no sense.

thanks for all the input

Jerry

Find a second dealer , even if they are 100 miles away

I had to do that with my bike. my local dealer talks like yours does.

My far away dealer will fix anything under warranty, no Questions

asked! they have been my new dealer now for 5 years :D

I will have nothing to do with the dealer that is only about

15 miles away, except maybe get a part or something.

let us know what you find out!

Jeff

The fan does not come on very often. At idle, you will definitely notice it and (as far as I know) my fan has never come on while riding anything above an in-city crawl. If there is a problem, I think it is far more likely the thermostat than the fan. I assume that there is actually the correct amount of coolant in the bike and that the water pump works as it should - I would like to think that your dealer actually checked this stuff. (Probably should not assume anything)

I could shoot some temperatures of the tank on my 2002 Midnight but my case may not be a very good comparison for you. At this time of year, we are getting daytime high temperatures only in the mid 60's.

In any case, the tank should NOT get too hot to touch comfortably; unless you have a dark bike, nearly empty tank, parked in direct sunlight on a hot day. At those temperatures (> 120 F) gasoline will actually start to BOIL, or at least simmer a bit - absolutely not a good thing.

Note: If you are using an infrared optical thermometer, shoot it at a non-reflective surface. You won't get an accurate reading on a chrome gas cap - put a piece of black tape on it and shoot at it after it has warmed up to the substrate temperature.

How does the temperature compare between a full and a nearly empty tank?

Good luck with it.

Ross

If you get a chance, do an actual comparison with another Venture. If it is much hotter, you likely have a major problem with the cooling system. Either a thermostat that doesn't open or a water pump that doesn't pump (or a lack of coolant). Any of these things could spell disaster for your engine. Get it checked out ASAP and don't ride any distance until you know its right! Ventures are NOT known for excessive engine heat making it to the tank or rider. My legs get a little warm stopped at a light on a hot day but thats about the extent of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update the hot tank problem. Sorry for the delay but have been busy riding (almost 3,000 miles) and loving every minute.

OK took it to a second dealer, first thing they did was take it in the shop, no bs just action.

they took the tank off and found two things, the vent tube was pinched (I thought this was an inlet not an outlet) and a loose connector (did not say to what). He took it for a ride and came back the tank was noticeably cooler, but still warmer than I thought it should be. He was happy, but said he could not explain why that would cause the tank to heat up. What a difference in attitude between this dealer and the other dealer.

BTW outside temperature was below 95 degrees F. When the outside temperature once again rose to between 95 and 100 degrees F, the tank or cap did not get as hot as they did before. So, for what ever reason, that seems to have fixed (or at least lessened)the hot temps. Won't know for sure until next spring or summer when we have many days of over 95 or so degrees F.

So loving the new bike and wished I would have gotten one long ago.

thanks to everyone who helped with help and advice.

Jerry

Jerry:

Terrific! Sounds like you found yourself a dealer to stick with :thumbsup2: and the initial one to not go back to.

Simple explanation:

While the gasoline heats up inside the tank, so does the vapor (and air) which causes pressure to build. If the pressure continues to build without escaping through the little vent hole there there would be considerable heat transfer (and pressure build up) in the tank (since the tank is conductive) which would be a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the tank would get so hot.

Glad you are enjoying your new ride!! :)

Lilbeaver,

thanks for the simple explanation, makes sense. it sure did make a difference. and yes the second dealer will definitely get my business. He did not go blah, blah, blah. he took action, never asked where i purchased it, just when. was a pleasure doing business with them.

Jerry