IGNORED

Easier to read wiring schematic for 83-85 Ventures

dingy

I have drawn my wiring schematic into my CAD drafting program. Reason being I am adding cruise control from an 84. This will make it easier for me to do this.

Attached is a PDF of schematic.

I have tried to make it easier to read by adding some line types & colors so the wiring is easier to follow. There is a color code chart is at the lower left.

I rearranged some of the components to eliminate wires crossing unnecessarily.

The schematic is the same as the original in the 83-85 owners manual electrically, just rearranged. The only thing I am not sure about is the Diode pack, my bike only one diode in it. The block schematic shows three diodes in the circuit. The wiring schematic indicated two diodes.

I did correct an error or two I found in the schematic, one being the ACC terminals in the fuse block.

I would like to add the Ignition coil #'s if someone could furnish those also.

I changed the graphics for the rear brake switch to match the front brake & clutch switches.

It prints out best at 11" x 17" but few of you probably have a laser jet that size. Not to mention a color one.

If anyone wants an 11 x 17 B&W copy, I will mail you one for the postage & envelope cost, probably a dollar.

I am going to stop at Staples tonight and see if they can do color 11 x 17 prints if anyone is interested.

I can get B&W prints up to 24" x 36".

Dingy

Edited by dingy
Revised Schematic to Rev C

I have a copy of the 86-93 wiring now.

It looks way better than the 83-85 one.

I will work on putting some line types in it.

I am going to work some more on the one I did to clean it up some more, now that I have seen 86-93 schematic and some of the things done on it.

Ignition coil info would still be nice to add if anyone has it.

Dingy

I am finding numerous errors in what is shown on the original schematic as compared to what is on my 83 bike.

One is there are five wires coming out of key switch, schematic shows four.

Another is the side stand , fuel pump relays, fuel pump, fan motor & rectifier do not show black wire as ground, when it is.

I will post another PDF when I get some of this traced out this weekend.

Dingy

:crying:

Also (at least in my first version 83 manual) the have the wrong common wire indicated on the ignition pick up coil. They have it shown as O (orange) but in reality the common wire is Black (B).

I didn't check the Mk II schematic to see if they fixed that.

Frank

I have reloaded schematic in my original post.

Now named Wiring Diagram Rev B

I was partially wrong about key switch having five wires. My 83 has four wires. Bike does not have CLASS system. I have an extra key switch & wiring harness from an 84 Royale, these both have five wires. The service manual shows in the supplementary area a fifth wire with the CLASS system, it's a Red/Blue color.

I received an 86-93 service manual from Ozlander and saw how its was formatted. I made more changes to clean this one up more, especially in regulator-generator area. Also in lower right by Brake fluid level sensors.

I added N.O. (Normally Open) or N.C. (Normally Closed) by most of the switches.

By some of the connectors, I have put a letter in parenthesis to indicate color of connectors.

Went to Office Max last night and they printed a color print of this for me for a dollar. Staples can also do it. Just take PDF file to them.

If you want me to I'll send you one for what it costs me. Large envelope is a dollar, print is a dollar & postage. About 3 dollars total.

FrankD gave me a correction to the coil pickup wire colors.

The common wire to the coils is Black, not Orange as original schematic shows. The black wire is still used, just not common.

Also changed shape of the coil pickup wire connector to match what is on my bike.

Schematic in original post updated to Rev C

Thanks Frank

Dingy

The front brake switch and the clutch switch are both N.C. switches that are held open by the lever. This applies to the brake light circuit and the starting circuit. This a probably why they were labeled Open/Closed in the 85 manual.

The 89 manual labels them Push/Free which is probably more meaningful.

The rear brake switch is labeled Free/Pull.

Back in the old days when I actually did something all day, in the aircraft wiring diagrams all of switches, relays, etc were shown; Aircraft in the ground, Power off and Weight on wheels. Made trouble shooting a lot easier.

You're doing a bang-up job, what ever that means. :cool10:

I just checked my 83 Venture with an ohm meter, and the brake circuits are Normally Open, as sitting in bike. The circuit closes when I pull brake lever. Did not check clutch. I would term this a Normally Open contact since as it sets in the bike it is N.O.. Granted when the switch is out of the bike & you bench tested it it would appear Normally Closed. Which designation is more accurate ??

I will work at adding relay circuits, but some may be difficult as I don,t have a canceling unit to open up. Sidestand, fuel pump, fan & starting relays are straight forward. Won't be able to do much with the reserve lighting, gauge panel or ignitor as they are all electronic.

I think I saw a wiring for the rectifier/regulator on this site or somewhere, if some one has one handy, please send it to me.

Don't have any idea on the pressure sensor other than a normal switch behind a diaphragm.

I will change nomenclature on Front, Rear brakes & Clutch to Pull/Free. Sidestand I had revised to Up/Down, it was Push/Free which confused me.

I will add coil info Ozlander furnished.

Dingy

Very nice Dingy. Nice professional job. What kind of rewiring are you doing Thom? Im having crusie control issues and want to go over the whole wiring for the 1990 model

Jim , i am going to lose most of the safety switches for the cruise control and engine kill .

i want to get rid of the cc sw. at the clutch and brake levers , i am going to install a relay off the brake lites to shut off the cc like a car has . next going to get rid off a the kill sw. and run new wire from the tci straight to the motor , the kick stand sw is going bye bye . one of the reasons is as soon as i find some fjr master cyl. and clutch m/c i am changing them and they don't have cc. i had a cc problem and found it was bad contacts in the sw. on both levers . i will be installing the new reg Dano got me and the new fuse block form Skydoc and than the only non led will be the head lite . these motors may last for ever but the wiring is something else ! i wish somebody would come up with a eazy wire kit like they have for hot rods . i have installed a lot of eazy wire wiring harness and i love them this is a big Hint to one of us .

just think if we could buy a wire harness made up with out all the connectors , no kickstand sw. i know when my stand is down , no angle sw , and 4 cruise control cancel sw. give me a brake , and all the safety features just for the lites eeck . after 20 years i think i need some new wiring and before the 2nd genners say anything the wire in a 99 is ten years old !

Thom