IGNORED

Health Insurance

Yammer Dan

I know. I said that word but need some advice on this. If I retire I get a Medicaid Card or whatever it is from Social Security. Problem is Warden is 12 yrs younger than I am. It is going to cost me $537.00 a month to keep my health Insurance. It is very good insurance. I have to keep it on me and her to be able to keep it into retirement. I just need to cover her. Does this sound as high as I think it does?? I know people are paying a lot more I just don't have any idea how to shop for something like this.

Getting rid of the Warden is NOT A OPTION!!!

Dan the answer really depends on your age. Even if your retired medicaid doesn't start until the age of 62 or 65. If you have company coverage its should still be in place. But I assume that the question means you don't . You should ask your medical health provider what their policy is. Or ask a medicaid provider.( Okay people stick to answering the question no poli sci comments) the moderators are Watching!:big-grin-emoticon:

You can always have a chat with a rep from the insurance company to see what other types of coverage (or options you have) they offer, explaining your situation and whatnot - you never know, they may be able to work with you on it and make adjustments as necessary.

Dan, sounds like a good deal you have. Keep in mind you will pay for the Medicare for you and any supplement you choose which could be almost be half of your retirement plan. Don't know your wife's health but any single plan you would get for her will have a much higher deductable and copay also since you say you have a good policy. Office visits and drug cost for her would also be much more.

You can always have a chat with a rep from the insurance company to see what other types of coverage (or options you have) they offer, explaining your situation and whatnot - you never know, they may be able to work with you on it and make adjustments as necessary.

Agree and also get a copy of your policy if you do not have one. It will tell you what is and is not covered. Might be something for the same cost that covers more (even at your age). There are insurance agents that represent one company or many different companies. I suggest finding one that uses different companies to get as much info. as you can.

You can retire at 62 but Medicare is not available until your turn 65. When we... my wife and I are the same age... went on Medicare we took out suplimental with the same HMO. The premiums dropped from $925 per month for just the wife and me to $150 for both of us. I not sure how it works when there's a 12 year age difference, but I suspect your work insurance might offer a main insured suplimental with full coverage on your wife...

Sounds like I have some checking to do. My retirement is medical with the leg. Sailed thru Social security without a glitch. My State retirement (worked for state) is dragging their feet but don't see any problems with it they are just slow. I get out of the ratrace a couple yrs early if I can take care of the medical. Hate to retire and have to go back to work.