IGNORED

would you buy a RSV again?

Hi everyone, new guy here. I'm VERRRYYYY interested in buying an 07 or 08 RSV. My question to you is.... After owning one and knowing what you know now about the bike (problems,reliability,qualitiy,etc...) would you do it again?? If you would/woud'nt...why/why not? I'd really like to know of any inherent problems before jumping in w/both feet (and a bunch of money) Thanks for your input everyone.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would buy it again. I had the rear shock replaced under warranty other wise the only thing I have done is routine maintenance and customizations. I can't think of any other bike I would rather have. All bikes have there little quarks and the rsv is no exception but there is nothing in my book to compare.

I am looking forward to the day when Yahama produces the RSV with EFI. Then I will gladly purchase my second one.

After 3 1/2 year and 48K miles I have yet to have any trouble out of my Venture. I just keep it serviced and "RIDE IT LIKE I STOLE IT":dancefool:

I've owned many bikes and other vehicles in my life. As for bikes, they have included Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki and many models of each. Until buying my '99 Royal Star Venture, I have never owned any vehicle for more than 3 years and never owned a motorcycle for more than a year or so. I've owned the RSV since May of 1999 and still love it.

I've owned my '04 for 2 years now and have put 40,000 miles on it. They only things I have done other than routine service is have the clutch basket replaced, replaced a horn and replace the lower left fairing. It's not the perfect bike. But then if you look at the other 3 touring bikes (Goldwing, Harley Ultra, BMW K1200) you will find them all to be a compromise of some sort. Don't like the peg position on the wing, limited dealer network on the BMW and poor peg position, Harley is too hot due to air cooling, too expensive, and not enough room. The compromises I made on the Venture were no fuel injection, not as much power as the Wing, but the power is adequate. I plan on running this bike until the warranty expires in '09 and then hopefully replace it with an updated '09 or '10 Venture. If not, I'll just look for a low mileage used '08 Venture.

DT

I have been riding street bikes since I was 11. That is 30 years. I owned one sport bike, Yamaha 200, VMax, Virago, Honda CB500, VStar 1100, and an Indian Moped, (these are not in any chronological order of course) and now my '99 RSV, which I got new, out of the box in 2000. Love it. I have looked at the GW's (test drive), and the HD Ultra Classic Glide (waiting to test drive).... best bike I have ever ridden in my life. Smooth, quiet, gots power, and loads of goodies. Best bang for the proverbial buck IMHO!

And as soon as they rev the RSV, with some of the odds and end fixes/improvements we wish for, like a better elect system, EFI, ABS, Ditch the Cassette, and I want the auto/man suspension adjustment back, like they had in the 1st gens, I would buy another one without hesitation! ;-)

And if this one gets destroyed, stolen, dies, I will buy another one as well.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely!!! Even though I have only 1450 miles on my 07 RSV, I KNOW that the purchase of this bike was the right thing to do. I am really looking forward to retirement and doing some traveling on it throughout the good ole US of A.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

I had a '96 Royal Star and bought a 2006 RSV in May of this year. I would buy another Venture in a minute. My plan was to move up to a touring bike when I retired and I had 10 years to study the bikes and make up my mind on which bike to buy. I have not regreted the decision to buy the Midnight Venture. The only problem I have had so far is that the rear tire is wearing out about twice a fast as the front tire, but I am thinking I may know what is causing that. Perhaps I should back off the throttle. :whistling:

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses (keep 'em comin'). You're really sealing the deal. The wifw & I took our first"long" trip(for us anyway) From Chicago,il to Paducha ,KY. we both loved it so much that we'd like to get a touring bike and be a little more comfotable. Right now we're riding an '04 VTX 1300c,nice bike....not a tourer!! Sat on a Wing(not impressed),don't want an HD. So....looks like a RSV for us!!!

This is my first bike ever. Bought a 2000 in 2002 with 3 years remaining on the warranty. I figured to ride it for a couple of years and then 'upgrade' to a wing. Every trip I take on the Venture pushes me further away from ever trading it. I will shortly surpass 50,000 miles of trouble free (OK, replaced the clutch, had a starter solenoid go out - fixed under warranty) pleasure. It handles carrying the bride and a trailer flawlessly. I get a lot of other motorcyclist that come up and start conversations with 'Nice bike, what is it?' I like that. Besides, I have all the toys installed already. Why start over again?

My feeling right now is: I will upgrade when the Yamaha puts together the next generation with EFI and something other than a cassette deck.

It was a great purchase then, it would be a great purchase now.

Welcome to the family.

RedRider

Yep I did do it again !! Had a 99 and sold it after riding it for 3 years. ( Sold it because of surgery and not sure if I would ride again ) Then got a 97 Royal Star Tour deluxe ( Missed the tunes and the power of the RSV ). Traded it in on a 96 Ultra Classic Harley which I had for 3 years and it served me well but I spent more on repairs on that one bike then of the last 10 I have had. ( This was my First Harley in over 40 years of riding ).

Traded it in a few months ago on a 2005 RSV and I can say I'm happy to be back on the Venture.

All bikes have some problems from time to time ( so do cars or anything mechanical )

If you like it and fit it then thats all that matters.

Guest sargeb13

I've got a two year old '06, and love it. No problems at all, no "whine". First motorcycle I've ever owned with a really comfortable seat, stock. I've owned Hondas (2), BMWs (2), and a Yamaha 1100. The RSV is, for me, very close to the perfect motorcycle. My only real gripe is electrical output, as I'd like to run electric clothing and some powerful aux lights (and I'd prefer a frame mounted fairing, but the bat wing on the RSV is suprisingly stable compaired to a Harley, for example).

I bought a 97 royalstar new and rode it 77000 mi ,sold it and bought an 03 Midnight V off the showroom floor and now have 60,ooo mi. It is like being a Maytag repairman. The only problem was discoloration on chrome pipes where they go 2 into one and got both replaced under warranty no cost to me. You can't beat the 5 yr warranty and roadside service. It's far and away the best warranty in the industry and if the bike wasn't solid they couldn't afford to do it. It is a very comfortable ride and overall the best touring bike at any price and the fact that it is thousands less than any other real touring bike is an added bonus. Even if the price was the same as the afore mentioned tourers I would still select the Venture. My wife loves riding 2 up and loves the comfort and spacious back seat and comfy backrest. The seat and backrests are corbin. Although the stock seat is one of the most comfortable I've seen the Corbin is great. Ditto on all the previous posts. Good luck!

I was once where you are now and now I own a Venture!

It meets my needs and suits my riding style. At 6’1” and 215+ lbs I also find it very comfortable to ride. I feel confident with it’s reliability and find fantastic support on this site… some of them even seem to know a thing or two about the bike!

I find the Venture economical, stylish and accommodating with ample power (get a Red one, they go faster!). What sold me is all the above, the positive feedback and a 75-mile test ride. The thought of another bike doesn’t even cross my mind now and I feel I have something worth investing in. The down side has nothing to do with the bike but rather the service. Someone had said ‘Yamaha is now what Harley Davidson use to be’... lets just say I find that a very interesting observation! I’m very happy with my ride!

Good luck!

I'm already looking forward to when I can afford to buy a used '06 Black Cherry RSV. Until then I'll keep riding my '99. It only has 72,000 miles on it and it's not even close to looking old.
Bought my 99 new in Oct of 2000. Little hard getting them off the floor because of just starting the 2nd gen., but that's alright. Was $15,999 at the time, but price was lowered to $12,999........that worked for me. Got 84,000 on it now, had a few problems, but I'm an easy rider, good mileage on tires, still have the orginal front brakes. So for size, I'm 6' 3" - 285 lbs, this bike has plenty of room, and even though slower than the first gen., which I owned an 83 for 16+ yrs, it has all the power I need. Another new member just down the street from me joined us, and has a 99 just like ours juggler, but with only 24k on it; but the best part is he picked it up for only $5,600. But anyway, I wouldn't have any other bike, so yes, I'd buy one again. :thumbsup2:

Had my 03 two years in Feb. and put 30K miles on. I love the power, ride and handling (since I went to the smaller front tire) I haven't seen any bike I like the look or ride more than this one. Wife likes the ride comfort. I like having the storage with the trunk and saddlebags. I can ride longer on this bike than any I've had. Never thought I needed tunes, but now that I have them, I think that is one of the top things I like. When this one finally bites the dust in about 15 years:rasberry:, I will probably be too decrepit(SP) to be able to ride anymore with my Arthritis, so I'm making the most of it now.

My advice to you. Test ride one and all the others. Determine how you like to ride...long, short, etc. I think that will help you make up your mind, because no matter what we say, its really still a personal choice.

Good Luck.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses (keep 'em comin'). You're really sealing the deal. The wifw & I took our first"long" trip(for us anyway) From Chicago,il to Paducha ,KY. we both loved it so much that we'd like to get a touring bike and be a little more comfotable. Right now we're riding an '04 VTX 1300c,nice bike....not a tourer!! Sat on a Wing(not impressed),don't want an HD. So....looks like a RSV for us!!!

Hey Were in Chicago ??? Wich Dealer. ... Hey We have to have Breakfast ride before yo take trip to KY. Couple Things has to be done on new bike., like locktite on grabrail screws,as well trunk rail. No big deal .. but have to be done. Let Me Know.