IGNORED

Anyone have their CDL ?

Bigjohn1028

Just wondering if anyone out there drove for a living ?....I just graduated from Southern State Community College Truck Driving Academy.... Got the Hazmat,double,triples, tanker endorsement's....Was not easy...But my job of 16 yrs. went down the drain due to Ford's incompetence...Thought I might give driving a shot...Got a few questions if anyone does.

Have held a license to drive a big truck since 1977. Do not have the hazmat endorsement any more. I average 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year among my other duties. Not many by most standards. I have been involved in repair and maintainence of trailers and some trucks since 1976. I am also trained and certified by the MN State Patrol to do annual inspections of commercial vehicles. If I can help in any way just holler, PM or on the forum.

One of us should be able to help you out. I drove a million miles from 64 to 77, but dispatched for 19 years after that, and drove off and on during the rest of the time till I retired in 96. I've got a part time job right now driving for a transport company of which we drive just about anything on the road. I was out of it for 10 years (didn't drive) while I was retired, but started this job about 2 years ago. Drove everything on the road way back when and didn't need any endorsments, now it seems you need a college degree..........don't have any endorsments except for the bike, but we still should be able to answer any questions you have. :whistling:

What kind of work did you do for Ford? I used to drive way back before you needed CDL's. I got my CDL's in 2001 with all the endorsements including passenger bus. I haven't driven a big truck since I got my CDL's but I was a part time instructor at a trucking school in Ohio. I probably still remember the laws and rules if I can help out there.

Dale

Ive been driving various trucks/tractor trailers for 32 years. Straight jobs, Single axles, doubles, haz mat, etc. From Teamster companies to the US Postal Service, where I have been employed for 20 years. Drove in all types of weather too, from snowstorms to hurricanes, to ice. Now im just looking to the day that I can retire.

It wasnt so much about the rules or laws...I guess I just got the jitters about getting on the road...I consider myself a very good driver with 32 years of driving without an accident....Just wondering is it worth the stress ? Is it going to leave me enough time do go riding ? I've talked to a couple of recruiters and thats what they are...They just want to tell you want you want to hear....Is the insurance decent ? I guess what I'm trying to ask is that I'm now going on 48 yrs old...Is this to late of a start to make a career out of it ? Dont really know anyone that drives for a living.

Midnight Rider I was a Process Engineer Tech. (degreeless) For Keystone Powdered Metal ....We designed and installed prototype die sets in Cincinnati Rigid Reflex Molding Presses....We formed transmission Clutches, timing gears, parking brakes a lot of things that you wouldnt think were made out of powdered metal under very high pressures....We had 4 separate companies...But due to the lack of domestic car buying and Ford kept changing their design prototypes eventually leading to the closing of my company at the Columbus plant.

This is who I worked for....http://www.keystonepm.com/index.htm

Ive driven for 34 years..currently with Wal Mart Transportation,by far the best job ive ever had driving,been with them going on 10 years and work a week on week off schedule. Some companies offer a week on week off spot but I cant think of them at present but if I had my life to do over again I would not drive a truck as it really takes away from the personal life if you are going to be over the road. All I can say is PATIENCE is the key to driving accident free..I have over 3.75 million miles,no accidents no tickets....knock on wood but I always realize today could be that day and try to be as careful as I can be. Tom

Nothing is worth worrying about so just chill. It depends on who you drive for and what you are hauling that will determine weather you have any time to ride, how much money you make, how good the insurance is. Just getting stared you don't have a lot of leverage on job choices. The demand for truck drivers is good and it will stay that way. Its never too late to start a career after a couple years of experience with a good record you will be able to pick any type of driving job you want. Because of the shortage of drivers trucking companys are catering to drivers and they are paying them very well.

It wasnt so much about the rules or laws...I guess I just got the jitters about getting on the road...I consider myself a very good driver with 32 years of driving without an accident....Just wondering is it worth the stress ? Is it going to leave me enough time do go riding ? I've talked to a couple of recruiters and thats what they are...They just want to tell you want you want to hear....Is the insurance decent ? I guess what I'm trying to ask is that I'm now going on 48 yrs old...Is this to late of a start to make a career out of it ? Dont really know anyone that drives for a living.

Midnight Rider I was a Process Engineer Tech. (degreeless) For Keystone Powdered Metal ....We designed and installed prototype die sets in Cincinnati Rigid Reflex Molding Presses....We formed transmission Clutches, timing gears, parking brakes a lot of things that you wouldnt think were made out of powdered metal under very high pressures....We had 4 separate companies...But due to the lack of domestic car buying and Ford kept changing their design prototypes eventually leading to the closing of my company at the Columbus plant.

This is who I worked for....http://www.keystonepm.com/index.htm

I've been with a nationwide LTL (less than truckload) carrier for almost 22 yrs., when I first got into it I was just 26 yrs. old. I like it because I'm home every night,have great benefits and a pension. I worked the dock second and third shift driving a fork lift for quite a few years but didn't mind staying on the dock at all.You can plan on working nights if you go with an LTL carrier. I am a city driver and have a regular route now and I'm paid by the hour. A few co's. that are out there are Yellow,Roadway, USF, CCX, FedEx Freight, UPS freight, ABF just to name a few of the bigger ones. There are areas of the country that are struggling to find good, qualified drivers. Thats my two cents, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and good luck to you. PS after you,ve been driving a while the stress level goes down: #1 rule, PATIENCE!!

If you ever wind up behind the wheel of a loaded cement truck. DO NOT drive it onto a construction site that will tilt the truck to the left or right. :shock3:

Don't ask how I know this....:hurts:

Watched a proby concrete driver dump his truck into a big sign pole base we had dug (8' deep) because he didn't know his load!

Dan

Guest kozman01

In a few years I'll be retiring from the police force. My wife will be retiring as well from the State of Ohio. THe kids will be grown and we love to travel, especially to the Northeast part of the nation. Is there opportunities for truck driving "teams" of husband and wife. We've been bantering the idea around and really haven't done any research like what type of training or certifications we should strive for. The info. on this thread is very helpful....

Any question that you may have can and will be answered here by a lot of us it seems. I have been driving for 16 years and am also a LTL driver and get paid by the hour and I am home every night. My route is local as well and I also work the dock. Are you looking into driving your own truck or working as a company driver??? I have done the OTR and would say that this was not the life for me since I had small kids. I have been local for almost 10 year now and I wouldnt go back over the road for anything unless the wife comes with me. But if you do go OTR just think of this way where else can you see the country and get paid for it too...and remeber when you are in a traffic jam and people are stressed about running late lean back and smile because you are already at work!!!

I just plan on being a company driver....Would like to find something regional....But it looks like you almost have to go OTR to get some experience. Something with 7 on / 7 off... would be great....I have always put 50+ hours in a week for years...Dont mind putting in long hours...as long as I can have long hours off....(got to have time to ride the bike, atv, hunt , fish ).....and oh yea...:whistling:....Time for my wife....Whew! bought screwed up there....:confused24:

Have already applied for UPS/ Fedex routes...but so far ...no bites

If you ever wind up behind the wheel of a loaded cement truck. DO NOT drive it onto a construction site that will tilt the truck to the left or right. :shock3:

Don't ask how I know this....:hurts:

because the only cement trucks I drive are the empty ones, lol. "BUT", the only problem with that is that theres nothing to hold the truck on the ground, and you get tossed through the roof with every bump you hit.:bang head: When I get the 5-axle semi's though, they ride pretty good. :whistling:

Any question that you may have can and will be answered here by a lot of us it seems. I have been driving for 16 years and am also a LTL driver and get paid by the hour and I am home every night. My route is local as well and I also work the dock. Are you looking into driving your own truck or working as a company driver??? I have done the OTR and would say that this was not the life for me since I had small kids. I have been local for almost 10 year now and I wouldnt go back over the road for anything unless the wife comes with me. But if you do go OTR just think of this way where else can you see the country and get paid for it too...and remeber when you are in a traffic jam and people are stressed about running late lean back and smile because you are already at work!!!
unless you get paid by the mile, then sitting in traffic sucks.:confused24:

BigJohn,

trucking isn't for most. Being 48 you should have an established life and hopefully a good woman with you. She will need to be to put up with the things you won't have control over out here. Don't forget her when these instances happen. Between shippers, consignees, traffic, construction and constant...changing of minds of your dispatchers. When you are so close to home you can smell it and they turn you around and send you out because of some lame reason (like you are the only one avalable). Then she gets mad at you...sometimes it gets tough. But if you both understand things beyond your control, then it is easier. On the positive side, take time when you are some place you've never been and take a picture. Late at night, no traffic, good music you and the Good Lord riding down the highway, he sure has made an incredible place.

Remember, in a truck, it's not just a fender bender. It's a life. Think of others, and please don't adapt the attitude "everybody else does it".

I make a good living. I own mine from the Company to the trucks and trailers. Wouldn't want it any other way. I don't work well with others. LOL:rotf::080402gudl_prv: