IGNORED

BMW K1200LT vs 1st gen

Iowa Guy

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-BMW-K1200LTd-small.jpg

Looks almost like BMW stole the blueprints for the frame. Way too many simalarities. Have to give them credit though. It's a sharp looking bike.

Seen a few of them around. Kind of thought this is what the Venture would have looked like by now had Yamaha not discontinued the line.

You'll never catch up to a Venture....Ask Squidley and Myself passing a few on I-75:rotfl: The BMW is a Lazy Boy Scooter I have ridden a BMW1200Lt for 800km The handle bars are ridiculous.....You are paying for the Name Its not UP to standard of a Venture

Okay You got a BMW ....whippy.... all prestige.... its a BMW.... to Impress your Friends....... Sorry..... but thats how I feel..... I get Snubbed when I had my venture:stirthepot:

Saw one at a dealership, and asked my buddy who rides a BMW R 1200GS. He told me the LT in the name stands for Light Truck... it is very top heavy and unwieldy (he said). Maybe that is by standards of a BMW stepping up to a touring bike.

I thought it looked nice.

I get Snubbed when I had my venture:stirthepot:

LOL... When I was riding home from the Port Huron M&E, the wife and I had a fellow on a BMW (still had a paper tag) pulled up beside us ( he actually stuck his nose up...Physically!:crackup:) and he twisted his throttle:stickpoke:... So, I did like wise. He kept trying to get away from me, but I wasn't having any of that. We ended up pegging the speedO and he gave up after he figured out he couldn't out run a 20+ year old bike.

I later found out Tracy was sleeping the whole time :yikes:

They ride nice they have alot of nice features (heated grips and seats electric windshield,ABS, way better suspension,and reverse. My buddies gets like 45+mpg and it had fuel injection in 1999 imagine that. I gotta say I like his 99 better then my Venture tough for me to say that. I think the handle bars on the 1st Gen are crap thats why I changed them. I dont think you can adjust the bars on the BMW but they were comfortable for me. The newer versions have more HP then our Ventures if I remember right. They are working on a new one now I heard 1800-2000 CC. Biggest drawback lack of dealers but my buddy says they make parts for bikes going way back still. Parts arent cheap (but what motocycles parts arent I guess) The Goldwing is still trying to catch up in terms of technology and this is a 1999 bike. I'll give BMW credit if you like technology they probably lead the way of all the manufacturers just wish Yamaha would do the same. As for top heavy its about the same as the 1st Gen. Top heavy doesn't bother me so much once your used to it.

Edited by CrazyHorse

I enjoyed those handles bars ,,,,I have owned 4 1st Gens ..Set those bars in a downward position and 1000 miles with no fatique:dancefool::thumbsup2:

I had tried that I needed the bars more forward just couldnt get them to feel right I had terrible tendonitus in both elbows from it. I understand why they did what the did the windshield and mirrors are to close to get those bars to be more forward. I prefer the bars to be more of dirt bike feel to them with the angles for me more comfortable. I went with Kawasaki Voyager bars ( you can adjust them forward and back much more then the stock 1st Gen bars I'm not so crazy about the downward angle thing for the 1st Gen)with some modifications I could get more of an angle forward with them then the originals but less then I would like due to the fact that the bars will hit the mirrors quicker being more forward. Since using the Voyager bars no tendonitus and I can easily mount things on the bars like the GPS using normal handlebar mounts.

:missingtooth:

My Dad has a BMW (R1200GS) and it is a fine, fine machine. The LT is not made for someone who is 6'4" though. Looked at one sitting next to the RSV and was deciding between the two. Both were the same $$ at the time (they were both used).

If I could have fit on the LT, I would still be riding it today. Fortunately, my second choice was my best choice.

The 1200 engine is smooth and powerful. Maintenance is not that bad because they are designed to be wrenched on. Setting the valve clearance is easy since the heads stick out the sides. FI, ABS, long history of shaft drive.

If it is comfortable for you, and you have a decent dealer in the area, and can afford the relatively high price, they are hard to beat. 250,000+ mile machines.

You will never have a BMW dealer say "that bike is more than 10 years old, we don't work on them anymore". Their technicians are trained on BMWs only as the dealers are generally single line dealers.

If I were to change bikes, this is the only non-Yamaha I would go to (as of now). However, with the current economy, a change is not likely.

RR

I have to agree with Brake Pad. I like the wing better. More technology, faster, handels way better, and everything looks like it was designed to be there. Now before ya'll jump on me, I do like my RSV. I have had it over a month now and it is really comfortable. I just can't get past the little things. Like, the way the raido looks like an afterthought. And the included tape player? Come on, this is 2009!!! Yamaha can do better than that! Fuel injection would be nice too. I don't think Yamaha rerally cares about this bike or they would have put more thought into it. I know it sounds like i'm trashing my RSV, but i'm not. At $14,700, It's the bigest bang for my buck. I feel like I got a good bike at a good price. However, if I had another $8000 to spend............I'd be on a Gold Wing forum right now.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Dennis in Sunny Sofl

You keep comparing it to the wing, but the BMW was around 22k last time I checked. I believe it's in about the same price range as a Wing. I could be wrong.

I was seriously considering getting a K1200LT a while back. I had heard several times that they were having final drive problems, so I decided to hold off.

Had 24 bikes, hated LT. Top heavy BAD, felt like driving a big bubble in front of me, totally unreliable, everything broke including their infamous rear final drive went out, hard to work on, very time consuming, expensive parts, no dealers within 275 miles, fell over due to poor kick stand design, poor headlights, rear seat uncomfortable for wife (way cramped), knees hit fairing, legs too far apart causing many cramps. Could not mount forward pegs. Electrical and air cleaner was 3 layers down under fairing, gas tank & 100 screws and 25 parts. 3-5 hour job. Throttle cable broke, BMW wants $150!!!! BS.

OK good points.... got same gas mileage as my 84, hummmm.

Next owner wanted me to buy it back! Ya right!!!

DON"T BUY BMW

My Yamaha 84 Std. is totally the opposite... :clap2:

Edited by 5bikes
Correction

Best bet is to go take one for a ride, I still like the G2 as far as long distance comfort. BMW's are very technology oriented, and are a maintenance nightmare from what I have heard...but thats just hearsay....it's all good

:happy34:

Yea thats the best advice try a bike out if you can.

Had 24 bikes, hated LT. Top heavy BAD, felt like driving a big bubble in front of me, totally unreliable, everything broke including their infamous rear final drive went out, hard to work on, very time consuming, expensive parts, no dealers within 275 miles, fell over due to poor kick stand design, poor headlights, rear seat uncomfortable for wife (way cramped), knees hit fairing, legs too far apart causing many cramps. Could not mount forward pegs. Electrical and air cleaner was 3 layers down under fairing, gas tank & 100 screws and 25 parts. 3-5 hour job. Throttle cable broke, BMW wants $150!!!! BS.

OK good points.... got same gas mileage as my 84, hummmm.

Next owner wanted me to buy it back! Ya right!!!

DON"T BUY BMW

My Yamaha 84 Std. is totally the opposite... :clap2:

Wow never heard of one that had some many problems. My buddies was steller. He sold it and bought a new Triumph Rocket 3 touring bike which he says is the worst bike he's ever owned been in the shop more then he rode it and waits weeks for parts. Got it back and promptly crashed it at the Dragon (trying to ride it like his K1200lt) destroying it which he was glad good ridance he said. He wishes he had his Beemer back.

Wow, very mixed reviews. Makes me wonder even more what one would be like.

Iowa Guy

They have high resale value also.

• 1 year later...

I rode 1st gen Ventures for 22 years, and bought an LT 9 months ago. After 10k miles on the BMW I absolutly love it. It's not as outright "fast" as the Venture, but close. It is just soooooo smooth and the handling is down right incredible. It has CD plus my Droid phone plugs into it, and it's a 2003. BMW does not do have a WOW factor, but they are great to live with. The braking is beyond belief incredible, grip heaters are now a must. You never have to wear the big bulky winter gloves. The electric adjustable windshield was a huge selling point for me. The wife loves the seat heater, but I never use it myself. They are top heavy and if your not 6' tall it could be a problem. You will always be aware of it's size at low,parking lot speeds. On the road it's light and nimble. Wrenching is easy but parts are expensive. These are a riders bike. If your not going two up and at least 10k a year, theres no point. BTW, the failure rate on the rearends is only 4%. It was caused by improper pre-load on the crown bearing. I just got rid of all my Venture stuff,:( but I still love them. I may pick up a nice one someday as a daytrip bike or something. I think the LT is what the Venture could have been if Yamaha would have stayed on the right path.

Right now only BMW and Honda are competing in the luxury touring class. I hear the new K1600GTL is awesome. It's also priced a little less than the Honda.

You will not get a straight answer to a question like this. Folk are too wrapped up in personal taste, national pride, a bunch of other things so, FWIW:

All full dress tourers are top heavy. If the equipment doesn't get them, the wind on the fairing can :)

In the US, the Gold Wing, well the modern ones, are the Gold Standard, in Europe they can't sell them because BMW rules that class, and has since the sixties.

So figure it out ..... In the USA the BMWs find most favour with the guys who rack up prodigious mileages, and there has to be a reason for that. The Yamaha FJR1300 is pretty popular too. Some ride Wings but for most they are not the first choice.

The seating position on the BMW is alien to folk coming from a cruiser market, and a second home for those from the sports/tourer background.

BMW have prodigious reliability with the exception of a few known faults on some models. They all command a price premium, part of which is due to the scarcity of good second hand examples.

BMW

Gold Wing

Yamaha

They are all good machines but buying a bike is a personal decision. Only you can decide which features matter.

The only thing that has been mentioned that doesn't matter a damn is speed. Any and all these choices can cruise all day at speeds so illegal you would be hauled off to jail.