IGNORED

State Laws

PITBULL

As some of you know, next summer Im planning on a long trip BUT as im researching some state laws about handlebar height, pipes ect...it turns out that my bars are illegal in AL,AK,DE,GA,IN,LA,MD,MI,MO,NE,OH, RI,TX,UT,VT & WV...THATS 16 STATES. What sux is that Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Indiana,Missouri and Texas were on my path.

My pipes are illegal in AZ,CA,CT,DE,FL,ID,IL,KY,MD,MA,MI,MN,MS,MT,MS,NV,NH.NY,ND,OH,OK,OR,PA,RI AND WA...THATS 24 STATES! My trip will take me into Florida,Illinois, Kentuky,Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

I REALLY dont wanna change my bike all around and have to buy new bars and risers and exhaust...my question is- how vigorously do these states enforce these laws.

Having ridden many "modified" bikes across different states in the west I would say out of state plates give you a pass. I have never gotten a ticket but have been warned by officer friendly a few times. Here in So. Cal. enforcement is almost nill except some high end residential areas where you are not likely to be any way. The only stories I have heard of are local cops, never the county or state, and even then it was more of a "get out of town before sundown" type of stop. I am sure there are exceptions but I would not worry about it if it was me. Have a great trip and enjoy. Rod

My trip will take me into Florida,Illinois, Kentuky,Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

I REALLY dont wanna change my bike all around and have to buy new bars and risers and exhaust...my question is- how vigorously do these states enforce these laws.

I've ridden my HD with 18" Apes and straight drag pipes through each of the states you mentioned above (w/ the exception of Louisiana and Mississippi)and have never been given a second glance. I'm sure as long as you obey traffic laws and don't make a nuisance of yourself you will make it through with no problems.

The only time I have seen these laws actively enforced is during the major rally weeks. During sturgis, the Wyoming troopers have a field day with ape hangers and at Laconia they jam a stick up your pipe, and if there's no baffle you get a coupon. I think they seize the moment to drum up funds off the visitors.

Here in Illinois they don't enforce the pipes for sure, a lot of guys run straight pipes with no problem. I've seen them really get on the throttle right in front of the cops with no problem.

I've heard they enforce the ape hangers but I really don't see that either or have I heard of anyone being stopped for that then again I don't ride with anyone that has them.

Like some have said, just don't draw attention and you should be fine.

Jerry

Guest kozman01

As an LEO in OH I can almost assure you that you will not be bothered with any of your issues that you've presented. With that being said, just don't rev the bike like alot of HD riders do, I know, I shouldn't profile but the truth is the truth, at stop lights, etc. That WILL draw attention, but outside of that, no one is going to bother you. As a serious rider myself, I actaully enforce MC laws pretty heavily BUT I usually never have to focus on the HD, Cruiser, Touring crowd because virtually everyone with this type of bike has the necessary license, insurance, and registration. Now, again, I don't mean to profile, but facts are facts, I would say over 50% of sport bike riders do not have a MC license and/or any insurance. I used to be one of those sportbike dorks when I was a kid so I know since the vast majority of my friends rode without ANY of he necessary paperwork/license. I will and do hammer these guys. Unlicensed and uninsured MC riders give the rest of us a bad name. Ohio will treat you fine as long as your remotely quiet:322:I'm jealous of your ride! Be careful and come back in one piece.

With my luck, I'd probably be stopped as soon as I crossed the border of one of these states. But with all the positive thinking from the members, go for it PITBULL, what are they going to do, send you up for life:rotf::rotf::rotf:. I don't think my pipes are loud enough to be bothered with, but after reading the new laws some states are coming up with, it's anybodys guess, and I think the only ones that would bother you is some cop having a bad day, so all you have to do is stay away from those ones:whistling:.

Since we rode together I know you remember that I am a cop also. You may be profiled as a biker (badguy) and stopped to be looked at, but as long as you have paperwork and no illegal substances you should be fine in most places. Just like in all professions there are good and bad but most of would treat you the same as we would anybody else passing through as long as you don't give us a reason to stop you. Follow most of the speed laws within a few miles and if you do get stopped respect goes a long way for most of us. I don't mean kissing up I just mean treat me as a man doing my job and not a jerk for doing it, when you are wrong and I am just enforcing it. The majority of us are no different than anyone else, and besides that I only have10 anda half months left. Be sure and call when coming through louisiana and we will get something good to eat. If I am at home we can put you up for the night in my fifth wheel in the driveway. Be safe. Lyle

I have an old school HOnda santee softride chopper with a California Springer, Z bars and open pipes that I have ridden all over the country.. I literally have never been stopped on the old girl BUT I do try to obey traffic laws with her..

Actually the NUMBER 1 thing that WILL get you a ticket though is not wearing a helmet in these god forsaken helmet states!! Michigan is TERRIBLE (legislation has been on our fine Governors desk 3 times now but the insurance industry has put enough money in her pockets that she wont sign off..) but Nebraska is even worst - last I heard theirs was like $1000 instantly.. Kinda like them winning the instant lotto or something...

Cowboy up and LET ER BUCK!! Have fun and be safe out there!!

'Puc

Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I figured too. AS long as Im not riding like Squid and Im being cool and not acting like an ass plus the fact that I will be sporting out of state plates...I should be cool. Im am fully insured and all legal and stuff so thats all good. I never hotrod with the Mrs. on the back...kinda,...well usually..sometimes,......ummmmmm hell who am I kidding, she is usually the one instagating me to haul ass! LOL.

And Lyle...you KNOW we got some serious eating to do when I show up, right!