IGNORED

Car tire on a bike?

royalstarjac

Opinions?

IMHO - it's is idiotic unless you have tree wheels on the ground. I won't go into too many of the reasons I feel that way, as you probably know them as well as I do. But here's one:

On my RSV, when the rear tire gets a flat profile from wear (instead of the rounded shape it starts with), the handling is VERY MUCH WORSE. Some tires, such as the stock Brickstones, are even worse than worse when they loose the rounded shape. So much worse, that I found the RSV quite dangerous when encountering ridges or ruts in the pavement during the last few thousand miles of that tire.

The author of the article to which you linked actually notices the same thing with his car tire, but he just downplays it and says it does not bother him:

"The other difference is in what I'll call "bump steer" Varying terrain, such as a ridge on the road, a track in a dirt road, or an angle or crown to the road will give much more feedback than they do on a motorcycle tire. The bike will have the tendency to turn downhill. At highway speeds this is not an issue (not felt), at lower speeds, again, it requires a firm hand on the handlebars and the bike remains well behaved. It is just telling you what it feels on the road. You feel the steering inputs, you do not have to accept them. I prefer the feel, as it puts me much more in touch with what's going on with the road conditions."

So, each person must make his or her own decision on these things, but mine is clear: never on my bike without a hack. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well, it is like this Guy stated. Works for him, might work for you.

2 Problems on a Venture. The Rim-Width is very small so, you can't get a real fat one on the Rim. I think a 155 mm wide Tire would be teh biggest i would choose. 2nd Problem is the Rims, technically the Humps of a MC Rim and a Car Rim are different and this may cause Problems.

I know several Guys, with, here so called Streetfighter Conversion. They moved single sided Rear Swingarm from the early Fireblade to their GSX-R or similiar Bikes. They used wider Rims from Cars for the Wheel. Biggest Rim i know this Way is 8.5 Inches Car Rim with a 260 M/C Tire. There tis he same 'Problem' with unmatching Humps. I did not hear anything bad from one of them.

If you think over trying this, go to a Tire Dealer and look out for a fitting Tire with very flexible Sidewalls. Should be found found mostly on more sportyer Tires. This will help in cornering the Bike. You need to feel the Sidewals moving, because there is no other Way telling which one would be better.

Two of my riding friends on Valkyries use car tires on the rear and love them, :cool10: they have more rubber on the road when in a turn than a M/C tire does because of the soft sidewalls. The bump stearing they mentioned is not the same as a M/C tire worn flat and riding on a ridge while in a turn, :no-no-no: they mean you feel more of the imperfections in the road whether in a turn or not. :detective: Rain groves and bridge grating is like riding on smooth pavment! Me, I still ride on M/C tires! :confused24:

I was just outside and looked at the tires on both of my cars and determined that I would want neither of them on the bike. The tread just doesn't wrap around the sidewalls far enough. I guess there are tires out there with a different tread design that do wrap around. The other issue is clearance. You would have to be VERY careful that the tire is no wider than the motorcycle tire. I know on the second gen, you have less than a 1/4" clearance on the sides between the tire and the fender struts and etc.

It may be a good idea if you can find the perfect tire but I think I'll just stick with the motorcycle tires. I do have a spare rim so could play around I suppose but I doubt that I will.

I lean way too much for me to put my life on the line with a square cut tire with a soft sidewall:no-no-no:. Just the thought of falling into the turn and expecting the floorboards to drag with a car tire on the bike makes cold chills run up my back.

I was just outside and looked at the tires on both of my cars and determined that I would want neither of them on the bike. The tread just doesn't wrap around the sidewalls far enough.

It's a bad assumption to think that tires are rigid. They deform under load. most of the flat contact patch of the tire will remain on the ground in a turn.

That being said, I love round tires. The chickenstrips on my 84 Venture are about 1/4" wide. The bike loves the curves of highway 52. Why would I change that?

It's a bad assumption to think that tires are rigid. They deform under load. most of the flat contact patch of the tire will remain on the ground in a turn.

It is true that any tire will deform under a load. But a M/C tire is made with a very stiff side wall when compared to a car tire. When we do lean this prevents the tire from rubbing the frame and prevents the bike from having a "wollowing" feeling. For myself, I am like Freebird, I will stick with a tire that is designed to be run on a motorcycle.

Looking last night at stratoliner forum run into same tread " Dark Side" Installing car tires on stratoliners...??? Same think as here forum is split one side say it's safe , and some of strat owwners say they made 25,000 mils out of rear car tire, others are on safe side and want'tinstall anything but motorcycle tire.

Avon MC tires are highly rated on Roadliner / Stratoliner Web Forum....

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

P215/60R-17 95H VSB (31672)

$150.00each

i remember using a 15 in car tire on my hard tail , a tire for a VW , 15lbs air , they were great for a hard tail 2 1/4 rake 19 in ex. springer front end , had the rear end slide out from under me many times and to make a turn on a wet road , both feet were down , i still dream about it -- nitemares

25000 miles of worrying on a car tire or 8000 miles of fun on a m/c tire you pick

me it is fun

thom

I am looking for a car tire for my Venture.None of the tire dealers here cannot come up with a tire that will fit.Anyone know what size will work?I have a sidecar on mine and after 1000 miles on the tire it has completely worn out.The front one still looks like new.I have a total of 4000 miles on the rear tire.A car tire would work for me.:cool10:

I am looking for a car tire for my Venture.None of the tire dealers here cannot come up with a tire that will fit.Anyone know what size will work?I have a sidecar on mine and after 1000 miles on the tire it has completely worn out.The front one still looks like new.I have a total of 4000 miles on the rear tire.A car tire would work for me.:cool10:

since the Stock Rim is only 3.5 Inches Wide, thats 87 and change in Millimeter. There is no small Car Tire in the near Range. Probably a 135mm wide would fit. It Should be with a lower Widt/Height-Ratio to get it mounted on the Rim. So the Tire Size might be a 135/70 R 15H or 145 R 15 H. But sincerly, i would suggest a wider Rim.

Check out tirerack.com. You will be looking for something racing specific. I know a few formula vees that run tires about that size.