IGNORED

Anyone familiar with Buells?

Cerviperus

My girlfriend is finally looking for a bike of her own... and she's not making it easy. Not only is she on a pretty limited budget at this point (around the $3K mark), she's also more vertically challenged than I am. At only 5" tall, there aren't a slew of options to choose from. However, on a trip to the local dealer, she sat on a used Buell Blast. Not only did she look pretty good on it, she could flat foot it. I'm not sure if it was the low-profile seat or the standard.

Now this morning, there is a 2001 Blast for sale locally on Craigslist for $2,000. We're going to get in touch with the guy and find out when we can come take a look at it. If the bike is in good shape, the price is below Blue Book. I just don't know anything about them. I think a 500cc is a good place to start, as I hate to see her start on a 250 Rebel or the like. She's already taken the beginner's course and has her license, so she's not starting from scratch.

Does anyone know if they're reliable bikes or not, for the most part? I do a Google serach, and of course, you always find a ton of negatives, but not so many positives. That's the only problem I have with most internet forums. Most people don't use them unless they want to complain, or need help with a problem. Seldom do they get on to brag about how great their bike is. Know what I mean?

So any pro's or con's out there from anyone? Even if you know a guy who knows a guy that owns one, that's more than I've got.

Thanks for any thoughts. :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

I'm assuming you know that a Buell Blast is intended as a beginners bike, nothing more. It was originally designed to provide a platform for the Harley Dealers to have a bike for training new riders in the Riders Edge class. What they did, is remove a jug from a Sportster motor and hang on some inexpensive hardware, such as plastic fenders, and call it good.

It was never designed to be a long term solution. Having said that, for $2000, it seems like a good value. Yes, she will outgrow it. Yes, it will vibrate. Yes, its underpowered. So what?

For that kinda coin you cant even buy a new 150cc scooter!

I'd try to talk the guy down a bit, allowing for minor repairs and maybe new tires, and see what shakes out.

Another good option is a used Suzuki Savage 650.

Heres a list of bikes for the vertically challenged riders:

http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html#bikes

Also, dont forget the 'other' beginners bikes...the ones you order on the internet. Here's a sample:

http://www.worldwidedistributing.com/fanatic-6.html

Edited by tx2sturgis

Buell is a part of the Harley Davidson family (take from that what you will). I can tell you that we have had good luck with the '08 Sportster that my wife bought this year. They also have a "low" version of the Sportster in the current model year but that won't be in the budget she's got.

Like all things, with proper care it will probably be a great ride!

Dave

My wife decided that she wanted a bike of her own and bigger than a 250. But at 5' nothing we were having a hard time finding a decent bike. Finally found her a 2003 VStar Classic for around $3k with 3000 miles on it. Stock she can hold it up tip-toeing. I did what is called the "Julio Slam" on it that dropped the rear 4" and she can flat foot it with boots on. I could still shave some foam in the seat to get it lower. By the way... the "Julio Slam" cost $0 to do. Just drill one hole. I've ridden it some and I'm surprised at the power it has even with my 300lb almost 6' self on it.

They also make a 'Custom' model if she doesn't like the baby Road Star look.

Heres a pic of her bike after I lowered it.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/BigBoyinMS/DeBadgedVStar.jpg

My wife decided that she wanted a bike of her own and bigger than a 250. But at 5' nothing we were having a hard time finding a decent bike. Finally found her a 2003 VStar Classic for around $3k with 3000 miles on it. Stock she can hold it up tip-toeing. I did what is called the "Julio Slam" on it that dropped the rear 4" and she can flat foot it with boots on. I could still shave some foam in the seat to get it lower. By the way... the "Julio Slam" cost $0 to do. Just drill one hole. I've ridden it some and I'm surprised at the power it has even with my 300lb almost 6' self on it.

They also make a 'Custom' model if she doesn't like the baby Road Star look.

I had an '02 VStar Silverado 650, and I hate myself every day for selling that bike. She could actually flat-foot it stock. She'd have no problem with one of those, or one of the late 90's+ Honda Shadows (the older ones were too tall), we just can't seem to find one around here in her price range.

I never met a bike that I did not like for one thing or another. The Buell has a very short clutch stroke and does vibrate quite a bit. A Vstar 650, sportster, old Virago can be lowered easy and be a better long term bike. A 250 or 535 Virago will run circles around the Buell and last longer. You can also look for a GZ 250 or Rebel we use them for training bikes and do everything well under 75 mph. The older Kawasaki small cruisers are good bikes with a low seat hight and can be lowered easy. I have a 83 500 Virago for sale for $900 right now that I have been running all over for 2 weeks and it hauls my 170 lbs around just fine at 70+ freeway speeds and can be lowered more, you can look for something similar. Good luck Rod

I used to have a Suzuki Intruder 800,which I think would make a great women's bike.

Low seat height,water cooled,shaft drive,V-twin,plenty of power,low center of gravity,

and easy to ride.It will keep up with most other bikes that you ride with.They are basically maintenance free,just add gas and change the oil.

I'm also vertically challenged but....my Virago is perfect for me. It never shakes, smooth ride, I can keep up easily with the pack, reeeeeeaaaaaaally comfortable pillow top seat, light enough for me to handle (turning around, backing up, etc)very reliable, I wouldn't trade it!! It's also got a slim gas tank so my shorter legs don't have to wrap around it.

On the other hand, my sister in law has a 650 VStar that she loves. It just doesn't have enough power for me, but for short distances it's great and it's a great looking bike!

Good luck on your search!

Guest seuadr

I suggest you don't go under 500cc. Anything smaller will be outgrown within a few months if she's serious about riding.

Many starter bikes mentioned here. Some of the ones I'm familiar with are:

Suzuki Katana 600

Suzuki Savage 650

Yamaha Virago

Suzuki SV650 S

Honda Shadow

I had an '02 VStar Silverado 650, and I hate myself every day for selling that bike. She could actually flat-foot it stock. She'd have no problem with one of those, or one of the late 90's+ Honda Shadows (the older ones were too tall), we just can't seem to find one around here in her price range.

The Blast is a good beginner bike. Okay plenty of people here have told you that. but for your girl friend there are alot of other great old bikes out there.Like the Honda Shadows. Over on the Honda Shadow tour riders there are plenty of people finding shadows for sale. A good bike with a low seat. The Virago 750 is another fine machine as pointed out. Also the V Star 650. Good luck to her in her search.

Guest seuadr

you know, my buddy is only 5'5 or so, he had a 600 honda shadow for a while. man it was a breeze to ride. nosed in nice, not the fastest bike, but very smooth, no vibrations.

Well the Buell fell through... at least I guess that's what you'd call it when the guy responds to e-mails once a week. It actually worked out though. I just happened to jump on eBay yesterday evening, and found a bike I'd somehow overlooked.

She will now be the proud owner of a 1986 Honda Rebel 450. It was sold by a girl who's getting ready to graduate from one of the local colleges, and she's only had it a year. She's selling it to buy a newer car for commuting to and from work after school. Here's what she had to say about it:

1986 Honda Rebel 450 Silver Excellent Condition

Vehicle Description

This is a very special bike, the Honda Rebel 450 was only made from '86-'87 and you won't find another one in such great condition

* 12,168 miles

* Silver in color

* Windsheild

* Passenger backrest

* Chrome License plate frame

* I am also Including a nelson-rigg cover, and T-Bag that fits over the backrest, all related paperwork,

Clymer manual, some cleaning/waxing supplies, ladies small honda riding gloves, and medium HJC carbon fiber 3/4 helmet (if you want/if it fits)

There was only one previous owner before myself. The bike has always been very well cared for, regularly serviced, always garage kept, minimal road wear for its age, clean and runs great.

My records:

Aug 2008

* I purchased the bike on ebay, the previous owner reported that he had new tires recently installed, performed regular maintenance and always kept it in a garage.

Oct. 2008

* First and only time I dropped it as a new rider, thanks to the engine guards the only damage was a broken mirror and a scratched taillight (since replaced, see March 2009 below)

Nov 2008.-March 2009

* Kept in my garage for the winter

March 2009

* New paint and decals for fuel tank by Goodwin's Autobody (Urbana, IL) because the 23 year old paint around the fuel cap was beginning to rust

* Sportland Motorsports (Urbana, IL) installed new replica mirrors and rear right tail light that I purchased from Jack's Rebel Warehouse

* Sportland Motorsports also performed a full tune up including: oil and filter change, checking tires and wheels, air in tires, battery, chain & lube, cables and lube, idle speed, plugs, fluids, chassis nuts, bolts, and fasteners

We ended up winning the auction for $2,225, so I think we got a pretty good deal. We won't be able to pick it up until the first part of next week, but my girlfriend is ready to go!

Looks very well cared for. I bet she'll love it!! Ride safe :2133:

Dave

We figured she's had it for a year with no problems, the tires are probably still decent if they were new when she got it, and anything she has done was done by a dealer or bodyshop. I don't foresee any problems with it. We weren't able to go up and take a look in person, so we took a leap of faith, but I feel good about it. I'll let you all know how it turns out when we pick it up.

Guest seuadr

not to sound sexist here but lets face it, if it was owned by a female, it was probably taken better care of than a college guy :D

i mean, i know we all change our oil and keep up with mantinence and polishing ( some more than others, eh? ;) ) but i know ,i'm rougher on my bike than my wife would be. she is alot more careful than i am, and i'm guessing it's true for alot of women :D

plus, nelson rigg makes some damn nice bags.

Guest tx2sturgis

Dang...hot little college age biker chick selling out...wonder if you got her phone number???

Wonder if shes willing to ride passenger?

Wonder if I should behave?

:innocent-emoticon:

I took a riders course with my 17 year old son put on by the local Harley shop.

They supplied the buell blast for us to ride.

It reminded me of lawm mower engine. sounded just like one while idleing. Vibrate and shook like a Harley.

I knew after a day of riding it...I surely did not ever want to own one,

June of 2008 I purshased a VSTAR Custom Midnight brand new from the dealer down in Brookhaven Ms for $4800 plus tax.

I rode it for about 4000 miles just to see if the wife and myself were gonna like the street rides. Not real comfortable but we added Mustange Seats and that helped a lot.

Now my 17 year old boy rides it. REally a nice little bike. Easy to ride and would recommed to anyone.

Check around on the prices...I bet you can get a 09 pretty cheap if you look.

Heck Call Bardwell Yamaha...he ships all over the country.

1-800-952-4270. If he aint got it...he will get it. Talk to Bubba.:thumbsup:

I think that you have purchased one of the best beginner and/or commuter bikes that has ever been made. If you take care of it, you will likely get all your money back when you sell it. I'll never fully understand why Honda stopped making the 450 Rebel.