IGNORED

Mobil 1 didn't help

Well, I changed the oil yesterday - put "Mobil 1 Racing 4T - 10W40" in my '07' Venture. It didn't seem to quiet the whine at all.

Please tell me I used the right oil :think: Hate to spend another $50 and doit again tomorrow. BUT I will if I screwed up and put the wrong oil in.

Should I have changed the gasket on the drain plug also ??

Dick,

You put the right oil in, every 10W40 oil I have ever seen isn't energy conserving, and that is what I ran in my '08, same exact stuff. You may need to pursue a different clutch basket for the whine.

The oil drain plug shouldn't have a "Gasket" if I am understanding you correctly. It should be a crush washer and no you dont have to change that out everytime :)

That's the oil I use in my Venture. It did reduce the infamous "whine" quite a bit.....and the 4-2-4-'s takes care of the rest.

I have come to the conclusion that you either learn to live with the "whine" or climb on another make/model scoot. My decision to keep the Venture was an easy one as I truly enjoy this bike.

I don't change the oil plug gasket....but check it carefully for any leakage!

Boomer.........who's Venture runs like a scalded ape with a road flare stuck up its a$$.:happy34:

If you have the whine changing the oil will have little if any effect at all. You'll need the I basket or change your riding style. You'll notice that the whine is much greater at certain speeds in certain gears. I generally stay at higher rpm and never hear anything but the engine.

It should be a crush washer

My terminology lacks somewhat when it come to motorcycles. In thinking about it, I guess it was more a washer than a "gasket". I didn't see any leaks there or at the filter so hopefully I'm OK till I change out again. :thumbsup:

Was not too long ago a guy in had a Bad Whin just popped up from nowhere and NO OIL fixed it... He ended up Pulling Tire and Lubing Splines and that is when he discovered he needed a SHIM of 0.30" because something shifted or moved.

READ THIS LINK... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36609

PS: Do not confuse the Chirp with Whine....

Good Luck

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

That's the oil I use in my Venture. It did reduce the infamous "whine" quite a bit.....and the 4-2-4-'s takes care of the rest.

I have come to the conclusion that you either learn to live with the "whine" or climb on another make/model scoot. My decision to keep the Venture was an easy one as I truly enjoy this bike.

Boomer.........who's Venture runs like a scalded ape with a road flare stuck up its a$$.:happy34:

If the whine persists, I'll live with it - I like the bike too much to change brands. I've had 7 GoldWings and this Venture is more to my liking. :happy65:

If a machine is making noise, that noise is usually an indication that parts aren't aligned properly and that wear or vibration or some other mechanical disturbance is happening that can shorten the life of the machine. So its more than a nuisance.

Well, I changed the oil yesterday - put "Mobil 1 Racing 4T - 10W40" in my '07' Venture. It didn't seem to quiet the whine at all.

Please tell me I used the right oil :think: Hate to spend another $50 and doit again tomorrow. BUT I will if I screwed up and put the wrong oil in. Should I have changed the gasket on the drain plug also ??

What noise? I barely notice it anymore.. mind you I'm riding with a 3" windshield with ear protection in all the time but the whining noise, you'll get used to it.. The bike is too awesome a ride to worry about that whine.

I always get a new crush washer (gasket) for the oil change.. it doesn't cost much at all and will provide that little extra happy feeling knowing the job got done right.

Yamaha, changed mine out 5 times.... ( ALL THE LETTERS )

Nothing helped..still love the bike though.

The (I) moved the sound to a higher range... I just keep the rev's above 3K on

the tach and the whine will go away. I have also tried Every brand of OIL in this bike , that is all I have to say about that! :whistling:

Enjoy,

Jeff

Also, Yamaha regional service rep here says use Yamaha semi synthetic oil in the bike...

On my bike the whine is worse with the Yamaha semi-synthetic than it was with the Yamaha regular grade oil (dino). Either that or its getting worse, or I'm becoming less tolerant of it.

I'm following the thread about shimming the pumpkin to see if there's anything to that. If that solves the problem, or makes it better, then its an easy fix and its probably easy to get someone to make up a batch of pre-cut shims for us. Maybe Yamaha should be forced to offer them installed under warranty?

I don't change the oil plug gasket....but check it carefully for any leakage!

Thare go those 2nd Gen riders looking for more Mods to try and keep up!!!:rasberry: