IGNORED

LEDs for taillight?

Has anyone installed LEDs in the 1st gen in place of the 1157 bulbs and if so, what did you use and how do you like it.

I found that I have a burnt out running light in my taillight and was thinking about using an LED bulb for them.

Thanks,

Rick F.

Well, don't know if there's anything other than 1157 replacements for something like the 1st gen. I tried some in my 89 and found them to be disappointing at best. They weren't as bright as the incandescent bulbs and, if you use more than one the warning light, on the dash, for the brake light comes on.

Can't find the cluster that I got, right off hand.

I have put the Radiantz 1.85 " 1157 direct base leds for the brake lights from Custom Dynamics http://customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm they are very bright and look like the brakes are on and they get really bright when the brake lights are acitivated. They are so bright you can see thier outlines through the lens. Gives a different look instead of the whole lenses lighting up now you see the circular bulbs. I can post pictures if you want. Now the computer moniter says my brake light is out but I dont know if it's from the LED bulbs or Back off brake modulator causing this. I'm pretty happy with them except the computer monitor thing which I wonder if a resistor in line would help get rid of the computer monitor light. GeorgeS might know hes good with the electrical stuff.

Thanks all, I was looking at the Custom Dynamics Radiantz 1.85 " 1157 direct base leds but was wondering on the clearance issues but it sounds like they will work. I am wondering if installing a load resistor wouldn't solve the warning light issue as I am sure the computer is looking at the load to see if all of the bulbs are working or not. I think I have seen some listed for this purpose.

Thanks again..

Rick F.

I have put the Radiantz 1.85 " 1157 direct base leds for the brake lights from Custom Dynamics http://customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm they are very bright and look like the brakes are on and they get really bright when the brake lights are acitivated. They are so bright you can see thier outlines through the lens. Gives a different look instead of the whole lenses lighting up now you see the circular bulbs. I can post pictures if you want. Now the computer moniter says my brake light is out but I dont know if it's from the LED bulbs or Back off brake modulator causing this. I'm pretty happy with them except the computer monitor thing which I wonder if a resistor in line would help get rid of the computer monitor light. GeorgeS might know hes good with the electrical stuff.

I wonder if the light control computer on the new rsv. can be reprogrammed to handle led's lower electrical load. On big rigs when we switch over to led's we can go into the computer to change the parameter to reflect the change maybe ask your dealer. on the truck the omputer looks for 500mw we change it to look for 300mw

Changing the computer would be a good thing if possible. As for using LEDs without the change and putting in a resistor, what benefit are you looking for. If you're looking to save power the resistor negates that, if you're looking for more intense light you need to get the LEDs on the outside or the lense. I have extra LEDs on the back and front of my scoot and have now added 1157s in the taillight, brake light fixture. If I didn't have extras on the outside of the fixture I would not run with just LEDs in the fixture. The brake light just doesn't stand out that well.

MHO

Carl

Thanks all, I was looking at the Custom Dynamics Radiantz 1.85 " 1157 direct base leds but was wondering on the clearance issues but it sounds like they will work. I am wondering if installing a load resistor wouldn't solve the warning light issue as I am sure the computer is looking at the load to see if all of the bulbs are working or not. I think I have seen some listed for this purpose.

Thanks again..

Rick F.

Clearance is fine no problem at all. The only thing is the license plate will be a little dimmer since the 1157 bulb did double duty as the brake light and the license plate laight, but I dont care about that. Heres the pictures the left is normal the right is with brake activated.