IGNORED

2009 RSV Top Heavy Question

Hi Everyone:

I am really in a quandry. I feel like my 2009 RSV is top heavy and have read threads that say to lower the back end, to not lower the back end, to change tires on the front, etc. There seem to be cons and pros for all options. The dealer said that lowering the back end without lowering the front would make it worse. The dealer also said they don't recommend changing tire sizes. The dealer also told me that they had someone come in who had put on the lowering kit and took it back off within a week. Said it made it very unstable in parking lots, etc and made it more top heavy.

I found a kit that is a "leveling kit" at Diamond Accessories" which actually raises the back end. This is supposed to make it more stable and less top heavy. Here is the link

http://www.diamondraccessories.com/yamaha/proddisplay.php?name=Leveling Link Kit

Will raising the back instead of lowering make a good difference?

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any advice for me? I would like to do something to make it better but do not want to do it and the change not have any effect, or even make it worse.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Don Wood - New Venture owner

If you search the 2nd Gen. tech forums you will find pro's and con's on this issue. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1561044 Personally I have not changed anything except gone to the avon venom tires and picked up some good tips from the ride like a pro video.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24973 Also did the experienced riders course for an added measure. Practice,practice,practice.

Edited by BMW

Guest divey

I think most people on this forum who have installed levelling links are very happy with the mod. I installed them on mine this Spring and there is a significant difference in low speed handling, turning, etc. I've still got my stock tires so can't comment on different tire sizes. Having said that, it'll always be a top heavy beast but the more you ride it, the more comfortable you'll get with it. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Do a search of "levelling links" and read some of the comments that have been posted.

Doug

+1 for the Leveling Links from Diamond R. I bought my '06 RSV and it had the lowering kit on it. When I changed that out and installed the leveling links I found it to be much more stable at parking lot speeds. I have stock tires and my front end has not been changed.

Changed my tires to Avons,stock size and it made a big difference. There are some having some issues with Avons sidewall cracking but Ive run 2 sets and have had no problem.The current set is at 16000 miles and I have a new set of Dunlop Elite 3s in the garage but I wish I wouldve bought Avons again.( Nothing against the Elites I just have had such good luck with Avons) PRACTICE PRACTICE,I can cock the bars now and uturn any direction in a tight radius but it has taken alot of practice.

I just bought the leveling links from Diamond R. I have stock tire size on, but just switched to Dunlop Elite 3's. So far I really like the Dunlop, as compared to the stock Brickstones. I will be installing the leveling links sometime this week, and will try to give you an update on the bikes handling.

Don, from what I understand the leveling links will raise the bike about an inch. Be sure that doesn't effect you. I don't know how tall you are. I haven't changed a thing on my '07. I have Avon tires that are th stock size. This is a big, heavy bike but she handles just fine at slow speeds once you spend some time on her. As a RC for the Patriot Guard I spend quite a bit of time a low speeds and I can tell you honestly this bike handles as well as any other. It's the rider not the bike. You're just not comfortable yet and that's no big deal. Just remember she's a lady. Ignore her and she'll be very difficult but spend quality time with her and she'll teat you right.:thumbsup2:

Phil has gone to Avons on the bike and also has lowered the front end 1 inch. He had tried the lowering kit on the rear and ran with that about 6 months before he switched the rear back to stock. The changes he made works for him.

I have read about the leveling links that were posted on this site. I was not happy about the handling of my bike in car parks and on the roads in the hills, there was a post on how to make the leveling links so I bout some steel and made my own.

I made the hole centres’ 169mm apart and installed them. I am very happy with the way my bike handles I will not change them back.

I am thinking of making a new pear at 165mm centres’ (the shorter the centres’ the higher the rear) the feeling is of a sports cruiser, I recommend them.

Buy them or make your own to make them you need

1" and ¼" by ¼" stainless steel I could not convert this but the length is 202mm and the hole centers are 169mm with 10mm holes

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=492

hear is the link I followed

hope this helps you.

Edited by piper
add link

Hi Everyone:

I am really in a quandry. I feel like my 2009 RSV is top heavy and have read threads that say to lower the back end, to not lower the back end, to change tires on the front, etc. There seem to be cons and pros for all options. The dealer said that lowering the back end without lowering the front would make it worse. The dealer also said they don't recommend changing tire sizes. The dealer also told me that they had someone come in who had put on the lowering kit and took it back off within a week. Said it made it very unstable in parking lots, etc and made it more top heavy.

I found a kit that is a "leveling kit" at Diamond Accessories" which actually raises the back end. This is supposed to make it more stable and less top heavy. Here is the link

http://www.diamondraccessories.com/yamaha/proddisplay.php?name=Leveling Link Kit

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any advice for me? I would like to do something to make it better but do not want to do it and the change not have any effect, or even make it worse.

My best advise would be to tell you to ride a 1500 or 1800 GoldWing, then be thankful you own a Venture !! Over the years I have owned 7 different wings starting with a new 1980 and the last one was a 1998. All of them (TO ME ) are more top heavy than my 2007 RSV. I am NOT bashing Wings, I'm merely saying how my wings felt to me compared to my Venture.

btw - I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam

JUST GET ON IT AND RIDE LIKE YOU ARE STEVE McQUEEN! You will get the feel of it like all of us have. I have owned thirty+ bikes over fifty years and every darn one of them rode diffferent. If you don't like the machine, post it here. It will sell quick!

Before you do anything you need to make sure you are really in tune with the bike.

1. How long have you had one?

2. Have you taken the beginning and experienced Motorcycle Safety courses?

3. If yes to #2 then have you practiced the techniques for more than a couple of months?

I am only 5'8" and ride a Tour Deluxe. I have taken several training courses and practice the riding techniques at every opportunity. I now find the RSTD very nimble and easy to manage in most all circumstances (backing in parking lots is the only place I feel the weight of the bike). I also ride friends Ventures and don't find much difference in my ablility to handle either bike. If I were you I would invest my time and dollars in training and practice before I would go modifying the suspension.

Just my two cents. :2133:

Bill

Safety Officer

Tulsa Star 141

Hi Everyone:

Thanks so much Bill. I am signed up for the beginner riders course - they earliest I could get in is the middle of July. I cannot signup for the advanced until I complete the beginners but I plan on doing so.

I got more practice in today as my wife and I went on the ride from Greencastle down to the Veterans Hospital in Martinsburg, WV. My daughter just called and there were 2,515 bikes involved and we raised a little over $61,000 for the hospital.

It was a great day and a great ride. We enjoyed it much, and it also put me to the test - I had to ride from a crawl to up to almost 80mph to keep up, plus lots of slow manuvering in the parking lots etc with my wife on the back.

I am sure with more practice it will get to the point that I don't notice it and I am sure the riders course will help a lot.

Again, my thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Keep safe everyone. God Bless you all!!

Don,

i have had my 99 venture for 10 yrs. My inseam is 30''. The only thing i did not like was the height since day one. I have put 31000 miles on it and still felt uneasy at stops. Very heavy bike. The 1st of may i had rick butler lower my seat and shave the sides. That helped. I rode 850 miles and still was not 100% satisfied.i bought a front and rear lowering kit from barron's on line. I took the bike and kit's to my yamaha dealer and had them installed. I picked it up saturday and rode today about 120 miles. I should of done this 10 yrs ago,what a great feeling to touch flat footed at stops.i will be leaving for california in july for a 8 to 10000 mile trip. I can't wait its like riding a new bike built just for me. This is my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

I am 6' 2'' tall & 250 LBS got o6 RSV & done nothing to it Yes its top Ha- But i don't ever think about it. Just ride

I'm pretty much the same size. I put the leveling links on my bike and really like the change. Yea, I could handle the bike just fine before but the links help make it a bit better.

I also lowered my bike, front and rear. I lowered the front using the directions on this site and lowered the rear using Barons lowering kit. I have scraped the mufflers a couple of times, but nothing bad. I have been pleased with the results and have no plans to raise the bike back up. I just like the feel of a lower bike. If you are a real agressive rider, this may not be the modification for you, but I have no complaints.

I been there where you are now.

This RSV is the first big bike I ever owned. Last September...I was very intimidated by its size and mass.

I am 5'7" 175lb. 30 inch inseam.

I thought very seriously about leveling links...raising the rear...changing front tire size...all kinds of stuff to help the parking lot speed handling.

From what I found here and other places...most of the time there is a down side to most all these mods.

I got the seats done by the Butt Butler and that helped me flat foot now.

I changed the tires from the stock 404's to the Dunlop E3, this made a surprizing difference. I am sure the Avons would do the same.

Mostly I believe the 6000 miles in the saddle was the best mod to help the handling.

Ride the bike...take it easy and do not be afraid. You may drop it at some point. I dropped mine early on...and got it out of my system.

The worst thing I worry about now is my passenger moving around as I stop at a red light or while I am swinging her around to park somewhere.

Even a MSF school beginner or experienced rider will do anybody some good with a lot of tips on handling. Do not be afraid to go to a beginner class even if you have been riding for years...You will learn something.

You will get it...it just takes seat time. :thumbsup:

Well hi again everyone. Here I was worried about being top heavy and now I don't have to worry about it for a while.

I was on my way back this afternoon from having the initial state inspection done on the bike and I was rear ended at a traffic light. Did quite a bit of damage to the bike but fortunately, I was not hurt. Little shook up, but not hurt.

So, looks like I am going to miss some of the nice early summer riding time.

Take care everyone.

Don