IGNORED

Need help with kick stand

Just had my bike on the lift. When I started letting it down I head a pop. When I removed the lift adapted and pulled the lift from under my bike I say a big spring on the ground. It is the spring that holds the kick stand. I have tried and tried to put the spring on but I can't get it to stretch enough. Anyone know how I can get this spring back on.

I've always been told to slide coins in between each coil to stretch the spring a little at

the time until you get the length that you need.I've never tried it myself,but the person

that told me swears it will work.

Hey KiteSquid,

The kick stand is down now but I got my wife to sit on the bike and hold it up while I moved the kick stand up and down. I thought there might be a point where the spring would fit. I tried putting a coin between the springs but this spring is so strong I can't even pull it enought to get a coin in it. I don't know what to do. The kick stand won't stay up without the spring.

You got 5 days to get it fixed..............:bang head::bang head: Or you can hold it up with a bungee cord and get it fixed when we get to Dons..............:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Just had my bike on the lift. When I started letting it down I head a pop. When I removed the lift adapted and pulled the lift from under my bike I say a big spring on the ground. It is the spring that holds the kick stand. I have tried and tried to put the spring on but I can't get it to stretch enough. Anyone know how I can get this spring back on.

I got it, I got it. I found an old tire tool in my shop. With the kickstand down on a piece of 2 x 4 I drove the tire tool in the ground next to the kick stand. I took a piece of electrical wire and tied it in a loop and hung the loop over the hooked end of the spring and around the tire tool. The ground is soft so with the wire around the tire tool I pulled the tire down toward the ground stretching the spring. Once it was stretched enough I hooked the spring to the kick stand. I then cut the electrical wire and removed it. I'm now back in business. Thanks for the suggestions. If I had been living during the civil war the south would have won.

I knocked mine off when I decided to hop at ditch at 60mph. I ordered 1 from the dealer. I used a bungee cord to hold it up while I waited and waited and waited and waited for the dealer to get the part. I then used a pair of vise grips and just stretched the spring to install it.

I know this is kinda late but a brake spring installation tool would have worked just fine. You old timers remember those old drum brakes, right??

Without admitting that I am an "old timer" I do own one of those brake tools made by Snap On. :farmer: