IGNORED

Dropped my Helmet, need reccomendations on replacement

Sunman

Well it has happened. I dropped a helmet for the first time. I have bumped my helmet before, on a door frame or wall, but this time, totally my fault, my helmet bounced. It was sitting on my seat, which I have done many many times, my helmet sits nice and flat on the seat. But not when it gets knocked off by a stray elbow :confused: . Anyways, I have been wearing this HJC Symax for about 3 years, and I am considering 2 helmets. HJC Symax II and the Shark Evoline. Does anyone have reviews, or good places and prices for either of these? Having worn HJC all my biking life, I am comfortable with them, but that does not mean I am opposed to trying a new company that has good reviews. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This will be a quick purchase, as I am not sure exactly how much damage this helmet has.

have you looked at the HJC fs10 with the flip down sun visor inside the helment, I love mine. Its great not having to take a pair of sunglasses along , or if you make a corner into bright sunshine you just slide the lever on the top of the helmet to flip the inside sunvisor down.

How far did you drop it from? I think if its over 3 feet you should replace it, or if its over 5 years old you need to replace it anyway.

Brian

Why do you need to replace it? I can't believe a drop like you're explaining is need for concern.

Well, the helmet is not 100% anymore. When it dropped the chin bar was lifted. The right side mechanism seems to be slipping, and it is difficult to raise it up now. It does still lock down, which is good, but I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks for a good lid, my noggin is worth it!

Why do you need to replace it? I can't believe a drop like you're explaining is need for concern.

Helmets are not designed for multiple impacts. It now has one. It will not be 100% for the next one. If your life depends on it, it cheap insurance to replace it. I use Arai myself.

A Buddy i mine has a Shark Evoline, he very satisfyed with it. If I'd be in the Market for such a Style of helmet, I'd sure take a close Look at it and buy one if it would fit my Noggin. I like the Style and the Way the Chin Part is folding away.

I have a Shark Evoline. I picked up for during the winter, here. I really like it :happy34:. It doesn't have alot vents (a whole whopping 2), but it makes up for it by converting to a 3/4. And IMHO it's comfortable in the full face configuration, which says something being I have never cared for full face helmets. And most modular helmets caught my chin (and are dangerous to ride with the face up), which this one does not. Throw in the slide down sun visor and it was a win for me (Of course the 50% coupon for parts&acc at the local stealer helped). If you have access to check one out yourself, I would definitely take a peek...;):D

Helmets are rated for multiple impacts. Anyone going down will never have one impact but from 5 to 20 impacts. It's a old urban legend that if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. The impact from 3-4 feet is nothing compared to hitting the pavement at 25 mph with a head inside it. The foam inside is what saves your head, the outer shell keeps the foam from grinding away really fast. Even if you drop it and the foam is loose, replace it.

Now, if the helmet's mechanisms are damaged from the impact, then you need to replace it. but if you drop it 3 feet on it and all it has is scuffed paint that helmet is still 100% and perfectly fine to continue using.

Replace your helmet if you drop it from a couple of feet (ie the seat of your scoot)???? Dang... if I did that every time, I be "helmet poor" instead of "bike poor". Crap, I just bought a new helmet about a month ago and I've dropped it twice already! By that philosophy, I should be on the 3rd helmet!

Helmets are rated for multiple impacts. Anyone going down will never have one impact but from 5 to 20 impacts. It's a old urban legend that if you drop your helmet you have to replace it. The impact from 3-4 feet is nothing compared to hitting the pavement at 25 mph with a head inside it. The foam inside is what saves your head, the outer shell keeps the foam from grinding away really fast. Even if you drop it and the foam is loose, replace it.

Now, if the helmet's mechanisms are damaged from the impact, then you need to replace it. but if you drop it 3 feet on it and all it has is scuffed paint that helmet is still 100% and perfectly fine to continue using.

AMEN to that! I understand why replacement is necessary if you are involved in a crash that produces a head impact. In that scenario, the foam absorbs much of the energy produced by your head moving in the direction of the impact at a rate faster than the outer shell is moving (at the point of impact). If the helmet is empty (no head in it), then there is nothing for the foam to absorb. If the helmet is not damaged physically from a drop, then there is no reason to replace it......(unless you're just looking for a good excuse to buy a new one!)

I'd recommend that you check out the GMAX GM44 helmet. I just bought one a week ago....my first modular helmet. I've always resisted going with full face or modular because I could never find a helmet that had good enough venting for my tastes. Well, this one does! It is excellent in the venting department. The fit is superb, huge viewing area, comes with both a clear and a smoked visor too. There are built-in pockets for speakers if you have headsets. Plus, it's one of the more economical modulars that I have seen. Motorcycle Superstore has them for $126, after the VR discount you'll pay about $113 including shipping. Hard to beat that!

Joe

Having just purchased an HJC Symax II myself, and you say you have been wearing HJC helmets all of your motorcycling life, I suggest to you...why break from tradition? HJC makes very comfortable, affordable, well-built helmets. I too have always tended to lean towards HJC. I've tried others, such as KBC and Scorpion (mainly for my sportbikes), but I always seem to come back to HJC. For my head (and my checkbook) the HJC is best for me. Best of luck to ya.

my half helmet decided to make its escape when i forgot to fasten the strap after putting it on at the gas station. as soon as i got to about 80 kms/hr, the damn thing decided the time was ripe and took the plunge. looked back in the mirror and saw it bouncing on the road for about 50 ft or so. turned right around, picked it up, and right...i still use it...it's got some scratches on it, but hopefully other helmets will think twice about escaping after they see what happened to this one.

now if anyone is feeling concerned about me, my birthday is on the 1 st of august. :322:

too bad about the artwork, sunman. was a neat looking helmet, having seen it in person.

Edited by chabicheka
add pic

Thanks for the input everyone. I looked some more at my lid, and indeed, the plastic ratcheting gears on the right side of the flip portion, have cracked, that is what is causing the difficulty in opening. The chin bar was up when it dropped. I am going to buy a new helmet, but I might look into a repair kit for the hinge as well, and have a spare. Thanks for all the opinions, and suggestions for places to buy. I am really leaning towards the Shark Evoline, I really like that it is rated in both the closed, and full open position, which is a first for modulars I believe. My only concern with that helmet, is attaching my bluetooth module to the side. I want to make sure the arm does rotate too low when moving it to the back and knock it off. I did not see the Evoline on any of the websites that offer us a discount, so it might be an eBay purchase, or other online source, looks like about 2X the cost of the new HJC Sy-max II. If it functions as well as it says it does, then will be a nice addition.

Sonny

I live in fla and the symax II with the built in sunvisor is great ...ride to work 5 days a week and love the fact that if i forget my shades i dont have to worry...check out The Helmet Shop in daytona fl great web sight and good prices...:thumbsup:

Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. I can tell you that all the new helmet technology, and promoted features of new lids, makes this a very tough descision. What I am thinking of right now, Is the Shark Evoline, HJC Sy-Max II, the ZOX Genesis and if it every becomes a reality, the REEVU helmet which I think could be a huge improvement in helmet safety. www.reevu.com . I woke up early, and hit a few bike shops to try on helmets, and even found more helmets that interest me. But I think I have narrowed it down. Now I am just on a mission to find the best price with shipping, or locally. As I forsee that I may actually buy 2, just to have them. I have also tried to find a supplier for the parts I need for my current helmet to make it 100% again, which may be a challenge in it's own. I will let you know which one I decide to go with.

Those "full-face" flip up helmets are very interesting but I'm conerned about the weight of them. I have problems in my neck and it doesn't take much helmet weight to screw my neck up.

Anyone know of a weight comparison chart for various helmets?

It depends on who makes the helmet. I tried a flip up at a local motorcycle shop that weighed less than my beanie. It was all carbon fiber and weighed nearly nothing, had bluetooth, etc...

You also lost weight when you bought it as it took everything in your wallet to buy it. It was $998.00 on sale.

so you can get a flip up that weighs almost nothing, but you are gonna pay dearly for it.

I guess this is what I was alluding to but you said it better. I've read several articles where it talks about dropping helmets and when it should or should not be replaced. Didn't seem like the OP's was one but if you can afford it and you just want a new helmet then by all means enjoy. :cool10: