IGNORED

wolo horn

rod

Or save a couple of bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97099

I just wish the horn makers would give info as to how they are measuring db.

A place that I used to work for made real train horns for trains.

They are rated at 125db so you would think that these little horns we buy are louder.

The difference is that the train horn is rated 125db at 100 yards. I think that lot of these little horns are rated right at the horn.

Hmmm...

Might be time to get out my db meter and do some testing.

Or save a couple of bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97099

I just wish the horn makers would give info as to how they are measuring db.

A place that I used to work for made real train horns for trains.

They are rated at 125db so you would think that these little horns we buy are louder.

The difference is that the train horn is rated 125db at 100 yards. I think that lot of these little horns are rated right at the horn.

Hmmm...

Might be time to get out my db meter and do some testing.

Most of them I have seen distance information. For example, Stebel says their's is:

115 db(A) @ 2 meters

139 db(A) @ 4"

Most I have seen put that it is 4" in the fine print.

Dave

Most of them I have seen distance information. For example, Stebel says their's is:

115 db(A) @ 2 meters

139 db(A) @ 4"

Dave

And Wolo says theirs is 118db... but no distance is mentioned.

115 db(A) @ 2 meters

139 db(A) @ 4"

Dave

As you can see from that Stebel info, the db drop off very fast with distance.

Every 3db doubles the volume.

Whether you are blowing your horn at a cage from 4 inches or 2 meters, it is already to late for you.

I want to know how different horns spec out at a more reasonable distance of say 20 yards.

As I posted above, a train horn is 125db at 100 yards. So that train is louder at 100 yards than a BadBoy is at 2 meters. (the Stebel sure looks like the BadBoy)

Now...... How to get my grubby mitts on a bunch of different horns to test.........

BTW.. I use a pair of Howard's Hog Horns on my Roadie They don't have a rating on them on their site, but I've put them up against all the other airhorns I've seen out there.. other than train horns, they are the loudest I've seen on a bike..

They are all metal, and you can completely disassemble them to clean the diaphragm and air chamber. Great quality chrome on them too. They aren't cheap though, but what's your life worth? I know for a fact they have kept cagers from taking me out. Damn near put a lady into the wall when she started to come into my lane and I laid on the horn and she jerked the wheel back over...

I would buy another pair for the venture, but I can't quite figure out where I would mount them... SO.. I'm going with Steible this times around.. thinking a pair should wake a few people up.

oh.. here's a sample sound of the Dynamic Duo I have on my Roadie..

http://www.howardshorns.com/dual.wav

I have the stebel and mounted it in the stock location with a bracket from Carbon One here on this site. This horn willl blast and scare the cagers. Since I have had it I have had to use it 6 times and every time, you could see the jerk-back reaction of the cagers. Don't sit next to this horn when you honk it. No there is nothing going to help you if you are going 70 mph and someone pulls into you from 100 ft away except attention to your outs. However, if someone is trying to change into your lane or, you see someone ahead about to pull out you can let her rip and I guarantee you will get a response. I see their heads turn looking to see where the sound came from after I let er rip. Dump the orig horns and add these and it will be Money well spent regardless of which one you buy. I am thinking about adding a second on the other side of the bike I like the response I get so much.

:beersign::2cents:

I just wish they made them in a right hand and left hand version. It would be nice to ride with two proudly mounted to both sides of the bike ready to make all the cagers around you soil themselves.

They mount to either side. I run a pair of them on my 89. I made brackets that angled them out about 20deg from forward that mounted to the stock location. Looked really good.

When I put the fog/driving combo lights on I went to straight brackets and mounted the horns with the lights.

The Stebel Compact air horn is the Wolo BadBoy, just different packaging..........

BTW Stebel makes LOTS of other models of horns. you should check out their website.

If you go to the Stebel site, to access the information you are forced to sit through a page for 30 seconds that specifically states that Stebel products are marketed exclusively with Stebel branding (excepting some globally recognized brands that are not disclosed). Given this aggravating screen, it seems more likely that Wolo is a Stebel horn, relabeled, not the reverse. I haven't looked at the Bad Boy packaging recently, but if it says it is made in Italy (the only place Stebels are made, sayeth the annoying screen), then Wolo is a Stebel. Otherwise, Wolo is a rip-off. *shrugs*

Dave