My name is Roger and I live in Michigan and I own a 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic. I love the bike but I'm having a serious problem with it that no one can seem to figure out.

My Royal Star shuts down out of the blue on me. When I say shuts down the engine will die and I will have to coast to the side of the highway to restart it. Dangerous I know. Sometimes when it shuts down my hand will still have the throttle wide open and it will kick back on. I took it to a repair shop that replaced the intake rubber cleaned the carbs changed the plugs and fuel filter but the problem persist. My step dad says I have a ghost bike. One thing I noticed is that it will not shut down on me if it sits for a day then i ride the following day. If I ride two consecutive days it will shutdown down the second day. What in the world is going on? Please help!:95:

It sounds more like an electrical issue to me. If it will not restart, check for spark at spark plugs. If there is not spark, check main and ignition fuses connections, check wiring connections at the ignition switch, engine stop switch, neutral switch, and starting circuit cutoff relay.

With the engine running, you may try moving the wires (wiggle test) of all the connections.

Earl

86 VR

00 RSV

Agree it is an electrical issue. Tracing something that is not acting up all the time is almost impossible.

I was thinking an ignition switch. Seems similar to some of the other posts. The Royal star Tour has a different switch than the Venture and I do not believe it is a common problem for the TD but possible.

Good Luck

Brad

98 Tour Classics have a history of ignition switches going bad. The placement of the ignition switch just behind the radiator coupled with the heat generated by the current passing thru the ignition switch caused many to fail or become intermitent when hot.

There is supposed to be an upgraded switch available from Yamaha, but no guaranty that there are any left in stock.

I agree with the ignition switch as the probably cause. I would also check the side stand switch. One other thing but I don't know if that bike had them or not. The '99 and newer RSV has a "lean angle" switch. A good friend had a brand new 2000 RSV with a bad lean angle switch and his bike was asking just like that.

It doesn't always work but I've seen several instances where it was just a matter of very slightly moving the wires. Under the left side of the gas tank, the wires from the audio run very close to the front coil. I've just slightly pulled them to the side and completely done away with the static/clicking sound.

I would look at the ingition switch, that is the only Royal Star that has the ignition switch right down by the radiator and engine. On the '96 - 01' standard Royal Star the igntion switch is on the right side just under the back of the seat away from the heat. When I had my '96 Royal Star a riding buddy had the Tour Deluxe he had to replace his ingition switch and it acted a lot like you describe yours.

The early Royal Stars don't have the tip over switch that the later Ventures have. Some of the other switches mentioned are possibilities. My vote is for the ignition switch going bad. Mine has had a similar problem. Flaky ignition switches seem to be a chronic problem on Yamahas, and it doesn't matter what the model.