I've had my 09 RSV for about six months now and love it, but I'm not sure if I'm just not good at shifting or if there's some other problem. It seems like if I really rev up the engine right before shifting, and then quickly pull the clutch and twist down the throttle, it shifts pretty smoothly without any clanking noise.

Putting it into 1st gear always clanks and even 2nd gear clanks a bit if I pull in the clutch and slowly shift into gear. 3rd also clanks a little if I pull the clutch and slowly shift into gear. It's like I need to rev the engine a split-second before shifting, not to get a clank.

How much, if any "clank" or noise should I hear when shifting? I know some of you don't even use the clutch, but I'd rather use it. Can someone give me some pointers? Sorry to be such a newb. :think:

David

Clunking does not sound good. I know mine positively shifts into first gear, more with a firm CLICK. But a clunking, sounds like a loose part issue to me. If the bike is brand new, maybe it is just a settling issue? I have never had the experience you sound like you are having. I have an 06 RSTD, basically same bike, just faster :whistling:. I am sure that the more experienced members here will have some answers, questions, suggestions, tests, trials, tribulations, puzzlement, advice and such, in a very short time. And I will bet within 5 posts, someone suggests you change your oil!

I have an '05 RSTD with low mileage, and if I wind it up pretty good before shifting to the next gear it shifts really smooth, but I'm just cruising along at low RPMs and shift up a gear it's kind of clunky. I run Rotella 15-40 oil.

A clunking noise during shifting is pretty normal for these bikes. I have had 2 and they both do it. It's pretty common on the RSV as well as the bigger HD's.

Sitting with the engine running and in neutral if you pull the clutch in and shift into 1st gear you will get a clunk with possibly some slight movement of the bike. Shifting into 2nd will produce a clunk also, it's less pronounced through the rest of the gears but it is there.(I think it's because there is less strain on the drivetrain)

Again this has been a normal thing with pretty much every RSV I have been around. I hear it all the time when riding in groups.

You will also start to notice a clanking sound coming from the front area of the engine while it's running and in neutral and if you pull the clutch in it goes away. Again a normal occurrence on the RSV.

If it really concerns you then take it in and have it looked at or like mentioned above, get with another RSV rider and listen to theirs.

It's good to notice things that are out of the ordinary, something that just showed up and hasn't been there before. These are BIG bikes with lots of things on them. They make noises all the time.

Describing and diagnosing noises is a tricky thing - what sounds like a clang or clunk to you might be totally different to me. But I don't think mine makes any particular noise when shifting other than the first shift in the morning when the clutch plates haven't fully spun.

I, too, have had two RSVs, and ridden a bunch of others, and I do not find ANY of the noises described by SaltyDawg as normal for these bikes.

The only sensible thing to do is to meet up with at least one other 2nd gen rider and compare in person. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis
.... These are BIG bikes with lots of things on them. They make noises all the time.

Those things are called RIDERS and yes, we make noises ALL the time!!

:stickpoke:

What's "normal" to one, may not be to another... it depends on your view of "normal" and what you're accustomed to.

Mine "clunks" going into first just like SaltyDawg describes.. my '85 did it and so did my '87. I've found that if I shift too soon from 1st to 2nd and if I do it slowly, I will get a clunk...maybe even a "ker-clunk"...that's because the revs aren't high enuf yet for a smooth shift IMO.

I figgure this is all pretty "normal" ... heck, these bikes shift a whole lot smoother than some others I've ridden including HD Ultra.

Mine shifts a lot smoother with Amsoil in it. I also changed my clutch fluid not too long ago and did a proper bleeding. That being said, yeah, sometimes it's a bit "clunky" when engaging first, or when shifting to second, especially when the bike is warming up.

First of all, these transmissions do not have syncronizers like a car transmission. Therefore there will be a "meshing" of gears when engaged.

Whenever you are shifting from neutral to first, especially when cold, give the throttle a quick blip with the clutch pulled in before putting it in gear. What this does is break loose the clutches as they are stuck together.

Another thing is to move the shifter quickly and firmly. Do not move it slowly as it will just cause the "dogs" on the side of the gears to grind into the matching gear, rather than to just engage.

I am not sure what you consider "really rev it up", but it sounds like you are making this more difficult than it should be. Even when I am loafing around, I am still probably at 2,000 rpms, but usually closer to 2,500 with ocassionally shifts in the 8,000 rpm range. It is also common for me and many others on here to not even use the clutch when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and up. I usually do not shift from 1st to 2nd without the clutch. When not using the clutch it is usually a very smooth "click" and if you did not hear the rpm change, you would not know I shifted, but it does take a little practice.

Ocassionally I will get the thrashing of gears when shifting and it will always be when I was not paying attention and shifted too slow, rather than a firm shift, from gear to gear.

RandyA

Guest Nightrider1300

I agree completely on the Amsoil suggestion made mine a different bike. I have lso found a very slight amount of pressure on the shift lever before using clutch (just enough to take up any slack in the linkage) seems to help smooth out the shifts its worth a try on yours too.

You guys are great! :clap2:

I think the consensus of replies has explained this very well and it's actually a normal part of the RSV. It could be described as a clunk or a click but since I haven't come across any other RSVs around here yet I just wanted to make sure it was ok the way it is. Last time I had a motorcycle was over 20 years ago and I finally got a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter a couple years ago. It's a pretty cool machine (it will do 105mph!) and I still ride it occassionally, but the RSV is my baby now.

On another related note....I had that darn chirp from the very beginning on this 2009 RSV and had the "I" basket installed about two weeks ago. The chirp is mostly gone now, so that's a good thing. At 4,000 miles I also switched to Rotella T synthetic.

I love this bike!

Thanks again,

David

You need to remember that when you shift gears transmission the speeds between gears differ the ideal perfect shift is when you match the transmission input speed with its out put speed by proper use of clutch and throttle. Mismatch these speeds and you get a clunk match the speeds and you get a smooth shift.its all by feel and getting to know your bike . the faster you go before shifting the more throttle you need to give it to match transmission internal gear speeds

• 2 years later...

Shifts, especially 3rd, were VERY clunky when just putting around and shifting lazily (slow). Then I noticed that when getting on it, no clunk. With some experimentation I now have the "putting around" shift technique.

When about to shift pull in the clutch and firmly move the lever AT THE SAME TIME. Most times it's like an automatic trans shift. I know that some will say to shift without the clutch. I can't bring myself to do that regularly

Before I was pulling in the clutch and then shifting. This lets the gears get out of synch and crunch.

I use synthetic oil, and I do think it makes for smoother shifting.

I have noticesd a bit of a clunk sometimes on gear shifting. Other times... not so much. It seems to be much less likely when I shift up with the heel, rather than the toe. No idea why that might be.

I have concluded that the reason for the occasional clunk is somewhere between the seat and the handlebars.

Quote.

"I have concluded that the reason for the occasional clunk is somewhere between the seat and the handlebars."

I've traced "that" noise to a loose nut that connects the handler to the seat.:rotf:

Thanks for this extremely useful piece of information. I did some checking and found that I had TWO nuts loose..... :smile5:

Slightly off topic from the OP but does anyone have a problem with having the shifter not coming back to the middle position after a shift??? Sometimes I have to use my toe to pull the shifter back up after a downshift...