Well folks, I had hoped to give you a good report on the VMAX rear after my trip to Vogel but I can't give you a complete report yet. My gas mileage is TERRIBLE. BUT...it was TERRIBLE before installing the VMAX rear. I don't know what has happened but something has really changed over the past few months.

I actually noticed it almost a year ago but just haven't really gotten around to trying to track down the problem. I was sure reminded on the trip to Ft. Collins and that was before I installed the new rear end. About the best mileage I got on the way to Colorado was 30 MPG and usually it was in the 20s. Same thing on this trip to Vogel. I was getting a max of about 25 MPG, very similar to the Colorado trip with the stock rear.

So...I'm trying to find the problem and will report back on this when I can. I installed new Iridium plugs about 2 years ago but have only ridden maybe 12,000 miles since doing so. I'm pretty sure that they were still OK but I went ahead and installed new plugs today. Not Iridiums this time, just standard NGK Platinum plugs to see if it helps any. I also pulled the K&N Filters to check them. They did not look dirty at all. For now, I put the stock filters back in. About the last thing I did before my mileage went down was to install the K&N filters. I honestly don't think that had anything to do with it either but I'm just trying to go backwards with anything that I have done. I also feel that it's just not running as well as it should. Just a bit of roughness at most speeds. I ran a can of Seafoam through it before going to Colorado and another can on the way to Colorado, didn't seem to help. I checked all the coils with my new Motion Pro coil tester and they all seem to be firing properly.

Raining like crazy here now but hopefully I'll get an evening to test it again before I have to leave for Minnesota on Sunday. I'll let you know just as soon as I know.

As for the rear end, I love it. The bike truly does perform better, even with the engine not quiet running right. Power band is now right where it should be. Very nice.

Don

I always got much better than that. Now PART of the problem is that I never got as good as I thought due to the speedometer error. I've now corrected that error with the Speedohealer. Nobody here that isn't taking into consideration the speedo error is getting the mileage that they think they are. Even with that though, it is not nearly as good as it was.

Gas mileage that bad almost sounds like the part throttle spark advance in the ignition module is not working. Is yours stock or do you have the D3K? I don't know of any way to check the stock one other than to hook up a timing light. The D3K has LEDs on it where you can check its operation.

I have the Dyna. If what I've done so far doesn't work, I'm actually thinking about trying the stock one again. I had the Dyna on for about a year before this problem showed up though so unless the Dyna has gone bad, it shouldn't be the problem. I don't have the manual for it. I'll check their website and see if it tells me how to read the LEDs. I hate to go back to the stock module.

Don,

As another data point, I was getting in the mid 30's MPG (corrected with a speedohealer) on the trip to and from Vogel. While there, running much slower speeds I was getting around 40 mpg. Everything on my bike is stock.

Dennis

What about Plug wires or Fuel Filter. Maybe the carbs need a manual overhaul. (these are my winter projects). To me Sounds more electrical than anything. I think it was Joe Mac that did some testing on the TCI's, although they worked and measured well they were not giving enough current to burn properly.

What do the plugs look like ?

Mine does not get bad gas mileage (180 miles/4.2 us gal) running at 55 mph. However I sure had no power out west pulling the trailor. Even when I dropped to fourth and in some cases had to go to third.

Brad

I also pulled the K&N Filters to check them. They did not look dirty at all. For now, I put the stock filters back in. About the last thing I did before my mileage went down was to install the K&N filters. I honestly don't think that had anything to do with it either but I'm just trying to go backwards with anything that I have done. I also feel that it's just not running as well as it should. Just a bit of roughness at most speeds. I ran a can of Seafoam through it before going to Colorado and another can on the way to Colorado, didn't seem to help. I checked all the coils with my new Motion Pro coil tester and they all seem to be firing properly.

Don

Don, I mentioned a while back that my mileage had been way down for a while and I thought the same thing, I noticed it after I changed to the K&N filters. I haven't tried the stock to see if it made a differnece thou. I do know from the plugs that two carbs are burning rich.

On The way Back From Vogel I was Following Eddie and he was in speed limits all the time... I Was start thinking my gas gauge is go bad... keep on three bars after 190 miles :confused24::sick: and signal Eddie to pull over for Gas.... As Never Before 4.1 Gal out of 195 Mil :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Of Corse Thats not hapend after I'm split from Eddie. I was in 10 Miles Over Speed Limit and my gas milage is go back to normal ... upper 30mil's / Gal

Hey Guys,

to those who run the K&N Filters. Common Problem of these is, most Guys nearly soak the Filters in Oil, or give them a really good spray.

That's false.

You need only a little spray, more than dusted. If you use too much Oil, the Filter is clogged badly and there goes the Mileage.

Try to go back to the Stock Filter, will helps to determine this Issue.

Other Thing, the Plugs, Iridium Plugs fail often. I don't know why, but i've expierenced this on my CX500turbo with brand new Plugs and heard about some 10 Guys surrounding me in several Bikes. My Turbo won't start at all. I didn't blame the Plugs, because they where new and i had done a Lot of other Work on her, but after Hours of tearing everything apart, i brought up the old Plugs and the Bike started right up as nothing has happened before. Mounted the Sparklers again, and like before, nothing.....

The Caldera those Plugs have left on Impact in the Wall still reminds every Day on that Situation. Don't assume anything. Check it. Period.

Platinum Plugs don't fail that often, but they are not worth the extra Money. I use Standard Plugs since and change them regularly. This prevents also from keeping a foul Plug on the Bike for a too long Time.

Hey Guys,

to those who run the K&N Filters. Common Problem of these is, most Guys nearly soak the Filters in Oil, or give them a really good spray.

That's false.

You need only a little spray, more than dusted. If you use too much Oil, the Filter is clogged badly and there goes the Mileage.

Try to go back to the Stock Filter, will helps to determine this Issue.

Other Thing, the Plugs, Iridium Plugs fail often. I don't know why, but i've expierenced this on my CX500turbo with brand new Plugs and heard about some 10 Guys surrounding me in several Bikes. My Turbo won't start at all. I didn't blame the Plugs, because they where new and i had done a Lot of other Work on her, but after Hours of tearing everything apart, i brought up the old Plugs and the Bike started right up as nothing has happened before. Mounted the Sparklers again, and like before, nothing.....

The Caldera those Plugs have left on Impact in the Wall still reminds every Day on that Situation. Don't assume anything. Check it. Period.

Platinum Plugs don't fail that often, but they are not worth the extra Money. I use Standard Plugs since and change them regularly. This prevents also from keeping a foul Plug on the Bike for a too long Time.

You know I wondered about that. I havent had the fuel mileage issue others have had and i have Dyna, K&Ns and Iridium plugs. Im usually pretty liberal oiling the filters but that makes alot of sense. It will restrict air and make you mad rich and that will cause really bad fuel mileage. Im due to clean and re-oil mine so I think that I will be more sparing and see if my mileage gets better. I cant see K&Ns being the problem as even newer cars are using stuff like this from the dealer but too much oil.........

• 7 months later...