IGNORED

Selling a bike - Test Rides?

rdhc

I am selling my Yamaha FZ 1000. I don't ride it much since I got my RSTD. I am a little worried about letting potential buyers take the bike for a test ride. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I put my 850 Yamaha up for sell many years ago, I guy came to look at it and seemed interested. I let him take it for a ride and before it was over with, I was ready to go hunting him. I heard him screaming thru the neighbor hood on the way back and when he did return, it was evident that he liked the bike but was not interested in buying any bike. Since then, my feelings have changed. Whether they come with cash in hand or not, I would be leary of letting anyone take off on my bike before they handed me the cash.

And this is especially so on any type of performance bike. If nothing else, follow him on your bike or in your car. Some people look at this as an opportunity for a joy ride.

RandyA

Until I picked up my 01 RSV I never owned nor sold any bike worth more than $2000. I let people test ride those if they had their own helmet and a MC operators endorsment.

If I was selling my RSV I would probably let someone ride it. If I had a liter class sportbike I probably would not.

It helps when the potential buyer shows up on a motorcycle.

Sooo many things that you don't know about people wanting to test ride a bike. Have they EVER ridden before? Has it been YEARS since they have? How long and far will they go and will they be back with it?

Not sure what I would do... but I would like to tell them to go to the local dealer and ride one if they would let them. Then come back, put the money in MY hand and then I might let them.

My last H-D that I sold the guy never asked to try it out till he was there with money in hand. I almost said no but I REALLY wanted to sell it. :D So I let him ride it and he bought it.

Here's a thought... will the insurance company let you get full coverage to cover ANY licensed rider?

asking price in cash, in your hand before a test ride. :canada::canada::canada:

I'm agree totally. Further, if they decided to take a two or three hour joyride and then decide not to buy the bike, just pick a dollar amount and deduct it for rental charges. Telling them ahead of time will probably remove most of the phonies.

I would have him follow you, either on his bike, or car, just to prove to him that it runs OK.

A bike like that !!! NO WAY !!!!

Also, to start, I would want to see his drivers licence, with M/C endorsment.

Also, what does he drive up to your house in, A bike, a new car, or a Junker ???

OR, take him for a ride on the back seat, to show him it runs OK.

Also, how old he is, would be another big factor.

But haveing said all the above, I still say NO !!

If he is qualified, to ride a bike like that , HE WILL UNDERSTAND, why you don't want to let him ride it.

I have a similiar bike, would I let sombody test ride it ??? NO WAY!!!! Only the guy I bought it from, cause I know he is qualified on a Race Track . ( And I worked with him for 20 years, tool box's in hand )

Anyway, thats my 2-Cents worth. :thumbdown:

OK, let's ask this question.....if you were the potential buyer, would you hand over your $10,000 without riding the bike?

BINGO!!! I would NEVER buy a bike without test driving it. If asked I would show my MC endorsement and Proof of Insurance. I have also given them my drivers license to hold until I get back. (If I got pulled over for doing something stupid having the license on my person wouldn't matter much anyway) If they refused to allow me to test ride it, then I figure they didn't really want to sell the bike in the first place.

I almost didn't buy my first RSV because the dealership didn't allow test rides, well I walked only to be caught in the parking lot and allowed to test ride it. Imagine that, a dealership that doesn't allow test rides of their vehicles.

The guy I bought my 2nd RSV from didn't know me from Adam. We met online and had several email conversations. I went and looked at the bike one night, a week later he told me to come take it for the weekend, I took it, and ended up keeping it and paying him about a month later when my check came in.

Granted you can't expect anything like that to happen. The guy was a super great person and very trusting. Then again, us Marines have a special bond and 99.9% of us are true to each other and our motto. Still, without test riding the bike, I wouldn't have bought it. Period!!

OK, let's ask this question.....if you were the potential buyer, would you hand over your $10,000 without riding the bike?

I bought my '06 before I actually saw it (other than pics and a friend's "thumbs up" and several discussions with the owner)

Having said that tho, if it was an older bike with a few thousand miles, I'd be wanting to test ride it.

As for me letting someone test ride a bike I'm selling.... that becomes a judgement call after having some discussions with the potential buyer. Each situation is different.

I agree that I would not buy anything over $1k without a test ride. Possibly a 300-500 deposit as a hedge to make someone think twice about abusing your bike and risk losing that amount. But a MC license is no guarentee that someone who's used to a 400lb bike can handle a large CC bike or one that weighs in a 600-800 lb range.

Other options are to have the seller take the bike out and follow them in your car to verify they would put their life on the line to put it thorugh it's paces(vice versa if you're the seller). Also, this may clue you in on if they know how to ride or not. Using the centerstand, starting the bike and shifting through the gears will give some comfort level of tranny function, rear wheel problems, or chain and shaft issues. But obviously this would be without any load on the engine.

If you want roadworthy, then I would look at only registered and inspected vehicles that the owner is presently using for commuting or has done recent 100 mile weekend trips.

If you want to know about the sitting and riding feel for you, then a test ride of at least 10 miles including highway is necessary....but I rarely let anyone test ride a bike I'm selling. I usually give them comfort level by offering to ride the bike up to 50 miles for delivery after they pay for it. Again, this means roadworthyness and does nothing for whether they like the feel of the bike.

All of the motorcycles I have ever purchased, I did not test ride beforehand.

only one was new.

That said, If you want to test ride the 1950 H-D FL I have for sale, it will cost you rental fee of $19,500.

Then if you want to buy it, I will sell you the bike for $500.

What a deal!!!!!!

BUT if you want to buy it without a test ride, the cost is $17,500 in cash.

only one was new.

That said, If you want to test ride the 1950 H-D FL I have for sale, it will cost you rental fee of $19,500.

What a deal!!!!!!

So, a guy could save themselves $2500 if no test ride and cash is paid.... do you offer a 30 day money back guarantee?? How about a warrantee?

:sign just kidding:

Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as I can tell that the potential buyer has a reasonable amount of experience and seems responsible.

You can learn a lot about someone with a few minutes of conversation and watching how they check out the bike as they come up. Everything from what they look at, how they sit on it, how they raise it up off the side stand, what kinds of questions they ask, etc. You can tell a lot about a person by just paying attention to some of those details.

I always check for M/C Endorsement, ask previous experience, etc. This may seem a little stingy, but, I usually have a short waiver form typed up giving an agreed mileage limit, time limit, and essentially a 'you break it you bought it' clause in it that both the potential buyer and I sign. In some cases, I'll record either their full name and date of birth, or name and D/L number. Obviously by this point there will have been some clear indication if they are at least partially capable of covering any losses encountered by them test driving.

I always have the bike insured if it is going to be on the road, and I know for sure that my insurance only covers a rider that is licensed to operate a m/c. If something happens while someone is riding YOUR bike without an endorsement, YOU - the owner - are 100% liable. Essentially, you are allowing someone to operate a vehicle without a license. This would be the same thing if you let someone borrow your car and knew they did not posses a valid driver's license.

I have found that if someone is serious enough, and/or interested enough, they totally understand and it isn't a big deal - I simply explain that the document is to protect both parties involved, just in case something happens.

I go through all of this because my thoughts are pretty simple on this; I would not want to purchase a vehicle without completely checking it out and if someone had said that I couldn't check it out before I bought it, it would seem that there may be something that they are hiding about the bike.

I never thought about the idea of just giving the prospective purchaser a ride on it to let them see that it runs, drives, and shifts fine etc. That is a fine alternative. Or have the prospective buyer pay a mechanic to check out the bike before hand (and be prepared for the standard "the carbs need cleaned & synced" etc...)

Anyways, those are my thoughts - and again, what happens is greatly influenced by my impression of the prospective purchacer.

Maybe I'm just a paranoid cop, hard nose, or whatever; but, my bike is my investemnt and I sure as heck am not going to be out a bike because some dinugs wanted to come bye and joyride or lie to me about 'knowing how to ride' and then try to run off with something that isn't rightfully their's yet.

-Rick :cop:

only one was new.

What a deal!!!!!!

Are you like one of these "rent to own" places I hear advertized? :think:

RandyA

i have sold alot of bikes. no test rides allowed unless i know them. i start it up, ride it up and down the street for them, if they want, and am totally honest with them if it has anything wrong. they can take it or leave it. never had anyone leave without a bike. don't let anyone you don't know ride your bike, unless they ride up on one worth more than yours and leave it. they may have never been on a bike before. if they want it they will accept your terms. bill :2133:

I purchased my 05 Venture in New York last fall. Had a friend with me. I had already sent $500 deposit in mail to the man. I had my cashiers check that I let him see and then gave to my friend to hold and gave the owner my drivers license. I took the bike for a 2 mile ride and came back and purchased it.

I have bought 9 bikes to date and that was the first "out of state" deal I have ever done. I have took a bike home for the weekend before and then purchased it. Not sure I would buy it if I couldn't ride it. I always take a cage for a drive?

Bryan

I would do what the dealer just did on my new RSTD. After all papers were signed and money in hand, he let me have a 5 mile test ride. If I didn't like the bike, the papers would be torn up and cash returned. If I liked the bike, then the 5 turned into 150 and the bike was mine.

PS: I had insured it before the ride.

I brought mine from a consignment place about 40 miles away from home. Called Power Brokers in Sioux Falls,SD. they sell bikes,snowmobles,atvs,and watercrafts. I took my 01 vstar there and about 10 days it sold. They don't allow test drive at all. If you want to drive one before you buy go to a dealer or a friend. My 04 Venture came from a Harley Dealer in Watertown,SD. They just can't stand having a great bike on the showroom floor there. Oh well there loss my gain.

Randy