IGNORED

A newbie with questions

Let me start off by apologizing for these questions. I'm sure they've been asked before but having a hard time with searching for them.

1. I have read about changing the front tire to a narrower tire to improve handling. How does it do this? I was always under the impression that the closer the tire sizes the better the handling.

2. Is there a big firmness difference between the pillow top seat and the regular seat? I believe mine came with a pillow top and is way to soft for me. I was thinking of finding a regular RSV seat and use that if it is firmer.

3. Cupholders? I have read about a couple of them with pros and cons but was hoping to hear from someone that has had one a while and still likes it.

4. Why does my light come on and I go into reserve but when I fill it up it only takes 4.4 gallons? Isn't it a 5.9 gallon tank? Is there a trick to this?

5. If I remove the clear lowers on the bottom of the fairing will it direct more air to the midsection area? I love the bike but you don't get much airflow in the cockpit. I have also been toying with a lower windshield but at 6' I wasn't sure where the air would hit. Now with the tall stock screen it hits the top of my head.

6. Exhaust. I don't want something obnoxious but after riding a Vmax and then a Warrior I can barely tell the RSV is running. What kind of upgrades has been done to add some sound? Not loud, just louder or throatier than stock.

OK that's it for now. I will continue to keep reading away trying to get some answers, I'm just kind of cheating doing it this way. Thanks everyone.

Let me start off by apologizing for these questions. I'm sure they've been asked before but having a hard time with searching for them.

Never apologize for asking questions.......it's the only way to learn.

1. I have read about changing the front tire to a narrower tire to improve handling. How does it do this? I was always under the impression that the closer the tire sizes the better the handling.

Don't really know how the tire does it, it just does make handling way better. The alternative to the tire thing is leveling links. If you're vertically challenged you'd be better going with the tire. If you can spare about an inch the leveling links accomplish the same effect because they raise the rear-end and change the rake.

2. Is there a big firmness difference between the pillow top seat and the regular seat? I believe mine came with a pillow top and is way to soft for me. I was thinking of finding a regular RSV seat and use that if it is firmer.

There is a difference. I believe, near as I can figure, they've put a softer layer of foam over the firmer layer on the pillow top. I'm not sure if it's the same seat with softer foam or if they've changed the thickness of the firmer foam and added the softer to the top. I've recently changed to the pillow top and may be trying the original again. I've been feeling it in my back more with this seat and I want to see if it's the angle of the seat.

3. Cupholders? I have read about a couple of them with pros and cons but was hoping to hear from someone that has had one a while and still likes it.

4. Why does my light come on and I go into reserve but when I fill it up it only takes 4.4 gallons? Isn't it a 5.9 gallon tank? Is there a trick to this?

One of the mysteries and wonders of the RSV. Some guys don't even get their lights to come on. Some don't even go to the fuel countdown odometer. Do you let the engine sputter before you turn it to reserve? I don't mind because I figure, better safe than sorry. If you really want to know how far you can get, some guys, fill a 1 gallon can with gas and purposely run the tank dry just to see how far they can go on a tank.

5. If I remove the clear lowers on the bottom of the fairing will it direct more air to the midsection area? I love the bike but you don't get much airflow in the cockpit. I have also been toying with a lower windshield but at 6' I wasn't sure where the air would hit. Now with the tall stock screen it hits the top of my head.

Mad dog, on this site, just did this and said that it lets lots more air in. He also said it lets the bugs and rain in as well.

6. Exhaust. I don't want something obnoxious but after riding a Vmax and then a Warrior I can barely tell the RSV is running. What kind of upgrades has been done to add some sound? Not loud, just louder or throatier than stock.

Lots of guys here go with HD Road King exhausts. Squidly makes brackets for them. Most drill out the baffles in front to give it a little more low end. Not obnoxious but they bark when you get on it. And they can be had cheap as well. Make sure you get older ones though as the 06 (I believe that's the year) and later have a catalytic converter built in.

OK that's it for now. I will continue to keep reading away trying to get some answers, I'm just kind of cheating doing it this way. Thanks everyone.

:thumbsup2:

welcome, thats want we are here for. if you can swing it aug 15-19 in north Ga we are having the tail of the dragon rally, you are quite welcome to come on up there and see a wide varity of ventures and other bikes. you can see all the differant modes of add-ons and acessories you can add to your bike. there will also be garage time where members will work on their bike and are willing to pass on their knowledge to others. some acessories and people to install them will also be there. ther was a post of some coming out of fla to the rally and asking if others was wanting to join them. click on search in toolbar and enter what you are looking for, set a time back for 3 months and click on search at bottom, and it should bring them up as a list. look in the rally section on left of page and then click on tail of the dragon for imfo. i think there are still rooms available, don

Hope this will help you:

1. Changed tires after 8500 miles to Dunlop Elite III's. MT90B-16 Front and MV85B-15 Rear. The MT90B-16 is a 130, while the rear MV85B-16 is still a 150. The stock front tire is a 150. The front tire is narrower than stock which improves slow speed handling. Makes the front end feel a lot lighter

2. I switched to the pillow seat. My Midnight Venture had a regular studded seat which I thought was to firm. Take your pick.

3. Have a Butler Cup Holder, they come in 20oz or 34oz.

4. No trick, just an early warning.

5. Installed Tinted Lower Wind Vents that direct air into lower cockpit area(See Yamaha Accessories). Also purchased a 17 1/2 inch wide windshield (See Yamaha Accessories) and cut to proper height.

6. Installed Harley Davidson Road Knight pipes. Yes they fit, need to make a new mounting bracket, but they work and sound better than stock. Also you can get more rumble from these pipes with some minor adjustments.

This lets in quit a bit of air, but I do not get wet, except for the knees.

Others added a air louvers in teh windshield.

Brad

Cupholder... I can answer that one. :)

I got a simple bottle holder form K-Mart. The kinda that goes on a bicycle. It has a rubber adjustable strap since I never know what size bottle I'm gonna be available. :) Only bad thing is that the rubber strap can make it difficult to put some of the bigger bottles back in. I stopped buying bigger bottles.

Amazingly enough the spread between the two bolt holes was exactly the same as the spread between the two bolts that hold the master cylinder on. Two longer bolts from ACE hardware (.70) and I had a cupholder. :)

One thing though...if you carry a mug of hot tea make sure you close the lid when you take off. :o The mug/bottle will sit a bit crooked when you're cruisin' down the road and can spill on your knee. :eek:

~~~~~~~~

Bike do not handle better if the tires are close to the same size. If that were true then race bikes wouldn't have a 3.5 front and a 6" rear. :) By having a narrower tire the distance from the center to the side of the tire is less & the shape is also more triangular than stock. When you turn the bars it takes less effort and the tire doesn't have to lean as much to get the proper angle for the turn.

Now, this was a very simplistic explanation but is still correct enough to give you the idea...I hope. :D

Does antbodt have a pic with the tinted lowers? Are we talking about the lowers on the forks or the lower deflector on the Fairing?

Sorry, I don't have a pic but there in the site somewhere or look at Yamaha Accessories for the Venture or Tour Deluxe. They attach to the lower guards that are behind your lower fairing. Same place you would attach rider pegs. There is room for both the deflectors and rider pegs.

1. I have read about changing the front tire to a narrower tire to improve handling. How does it do this? I was always under the impression that the closer the tire sizes the better the handling. I don't know how but I will have one on Wednesday for testing.

3. Cupholders? I have read about a couple of them with pros and cons but was hoping to hear from someone that has had one a while and still likes it. Someone suggested using a coozie and that's what I do. Pull the bottom out of a drink coozie and it sits on top of the fuel cap. With a 20 oz water in it the drink stays put. In fact it takes some effort to remove it for drinking but I don't have to worry about it falling off.

6. Exhaust. I don't want something obnoxious but after riding a Vmax and then a Warrior I can barely tell the RSV is running. What kind of upgrades has been done to add some sound? Not loud, just louder or throatier than stock. I have RK cans and did the full mod on them, drilling out both ends and the extra holes. Cost me $20 and some time since I had someone make me some brackets. My original cans were gutted and IMNSHO it sounded like farting in a tin can as someone so eloquently described it. The RK cans are cheap and you can play with them to get it where you want it. You'll need someone to ride it for you so you can really hear the new sound.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful information. I ended up ordering the leveling links since I have very little mileage on the tires. I was given a set of RK cans from an 06. not sure if there is a converter in them but I'll be checking them soon. I did use the coozie idea yesterday and it worked well but was a pain to put the bottle back in the coozie, I'm thinking a barefoot Willies may be better, plus I want to get one for the wife too.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful information. I ended up ordering the leveling links since I have very little mileage on the tires. I was given a set of RK cans from an 06. not sure if there is a converter in them but I'll be checking them soon. I did use the coozie idea yesterday and it worked well but was a pain to put the bottle back in the coozie, I'm thinking a barefoot Willies may be better, plus I want to get one for the wife too.

Don't take it out of the coozie. I pop the coozie off the cap with the bottle still in it. It slips back on the cap easily with the bottle still attached.

But yes, she'll still need her own. :080402gudl_prv: