IGNORED

83 wow

KarlS

RE: the speeding ticket... heh... it was just the opposite for me ... haven't had a sppeding ticket in 30 yrs... drove my '85 and my '87 to the max most of the time ... hadn't had the '06 for more than 2 months and I get a ticket!

Speeding ticket?

Touch wood - never had one in my life!

Had a car and bike licence for 42 years.

I don't suppose 28 years up to 2005 as a LEO helps?

Getting too old to speed. My cruise controls in the Subie and on the RSV take care of that - not to mention my Tom Tom keeping me in check.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeding ticket?

Touch wood - never had one in my life!

Had a car and bike licence for 42 years.

I don't suppose 28 years up to 2005 as a LEO helps?

Getting too old to speed. My cruise controls in the Subie and on the RSV take care of that - not to mention my Tom Tom keeping me in check.

Had my bike license for 40 yrs and car lic for 5 yrs before that ... only had 3 speeding tickets all that time...I think I'm doing pretty good.

"touch wood"

Had my bike license for 40 yrs and car lic for 5 yrs before that ... only had 3 speeding tickets all that time...I think I'm doing pretty good.

"touch wood"

What about the one you got a few weeks ago, on one of your first runs on your g2?

brian

RE: the speeding ticket... heh... it was just the opposite for me ... haven't had a sppeding ticket in 30 yrs... drove my '85 and my '87 to the max most of the time ... hadn't had the '06 for more than 2 months and I get a ticket!
That's cause with a 2nd gen you are slow enough to get caught...:stirthepot:

Yes, that is the way they run!

Just as my signature says "800 lb Crotch Rocket" :sign20:

(try a 90 mph punch sometime just for fun....)

Did the 1st gens have a rev limiter? I don't think many bikes had them back then, but am probably wrong on the Venture. Being able to "Spin 'em up" is the plus.

I know my V-Max has no limiter. That above 6 grand punch (thanks V-Boost) is the real party. RPMs shoot up so fast, I gotta be cautious up there. And V-Maxes have that stupid faux tank mounted tach. I'm glad Yamaha/Star gave the new VMax a real in your face tach.

That's pretty much the only dislike about my RSV, the limiter. At least it could limit revs a little higher up (goodbye 5 year warranty offering).

I rode an 1800 Wing. Man it was quick, but the limiter, in my opinion, comes on too quickly on it too.

2ndGen riders will always think their bike is as fast as a 1stGen MkI. That's because they have nothing to compare it to. Even a snail thinks he's traveling at warp speed... Once if they're lucky enough to own and ride a 1stGen, do they actually understand what 'quick' is all about..... :stirthepot:

nahhhhhhhhh... it's because on a 2nd gen the ride is so smooth and you feel you're on a REAL BIKE that you don't notice how fast you're going!

:rasberry: :witch_brew:

Geez here it goes already, his G1 was just sold moments ago, and he has already jumped ship......LOL :stickpoke:

Brian

That's because the 1st gen IS the original stealth bike! Been shot at by radar, laser etc. to no avail. Had one wave at me (60 in 40) to slow down cause he couldn't get a reading on me! Also had a bike cop stare at his gun for same reason!

Dan

That's because the 1st gen IS the original stealth bike! Been shot at by radar, laser etc. to no avail. Had one wave at me (60 in 40) to slow down cause he couldn't get a reading on me! Also had a bike cop stare at his gun for same reason!

Dan

What he said :guitarist 2::rotfl::rotfl:

I had an '89 and now I have an '07. I have to admit I love both bikes but they are very different. It seemed natural to run the 1st Gen at a higher RPM than the 2nd Gen. The performance was awesome for a bike that size. Although the '89 did seem faster, I will say that if you keep the RPMs up on the 2nd Gen it's not exactly slow but it just seems natural to take it a little slower on the 2nd Gen. If I am looking for a little more I just drop a gear. It's enough to keep this old man happy. I've actually enjoyed realizing there are things to look at other than the road. :12101:

I had an '89 and now I have an '07. I have to admit I love both bikes but they are very different. It seemed natural to run the 1st Gen at a higher RPM than the 2nd Gen. The performance was awesome for a bike that size. Although the '89 did seem faster, I will say that if you keep the RPMs up on the 2nd Gen it's not exactly slow but it just seems natural to take it a little slower on the 2nd Gen. If I am looking for a little more I just drop a gear. It's enough to keep this old man happy. I've actually enjoyed realizing there are things to look at other than the road.

very interesting observation... that's exactly what I am noticing (even though I did get a speeding ticket :rotf:)

Dan

I wondered what was going on as ive gone thru radar twice quite a bit faster than allowed and have been waved at to slow down as the officer was looking at and shaking the radar gun.

Also, there is a radar speed mesaurement area on the south end of town that is set up to slow down traffic, and verify your speedo. my bike will never, ever show a speed measurement on it, even when I am the only vehicle around for miles.

Brian

I wondered what was going on as ive gone thru radar twice quite a bit faster than allowed and have been waved at to slow down as the officer was looking at and shaking the radar gun.

Also, there is a radar speed mesaurement area on the south end of town that is set up to slow down traffic, and verify your speedo. my bike will never, ever show a speed measurement on it, even when I am the only vehicle around for miles.

Brian

I don't think sitting in a trailer counts Brian ...

:rasberry: :rasberry: :witch_brew:

I don't think sitting in a trailer counts Brian ...

:rasberry: :rasberry: :witch_brew:

Well, it wont get tickets in the trailer, like some g2's get on their first trip out....and like Condor says, my G1 was probably still moving quicker than most G2's

woohoo,Thanks to Rocket,,,, it looks like mine will be on the road next weekend!! no more trailering!!!!

Brian

Got up to 55 degrees today so took a 237 mile ride. Rode her hard and fast and still got 37.5 mpg. Took some peoples advice and did the 6500 rpm through the first 3 gears.:big-grin-emoticon: 70 mph punch.:big-grin-emoticon: And had her up to 125 mph before I backed off.:big-grin-emoticon: Found some great curves 15 to 35 mph POSTED,:big-grin-emoticon: came up to one that said 20 but should of said 10, a real eye opener that one was. Still just amazes me how at 4500 rpm you crank on the throttle and it's almost instant 6500 rpm and climbing. I swear it has an automatic passing gear. LOL. Tomorrow supposed to get to 63 degrees so I'll have to renew the grin in case it's gone by morning.:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:.

I have a hard time keeping mine at the speed limit. I got pulled over today by a Trooper for doing 65 in a 45...I didn't even realize it until he hit his lights. Luckily, I knew him from when I was a Deputy, and we had worked MANY calls together. He let me go, and told me to slow it down...whew!

I have to constantly watch the speedo to keep it at the limit...it just wants to go!

Got up to 55 degrees today so took a 237 mile ride. Rode her hard and fast and still got 37.5 mpg. Took some peoples advice and did the 6500 rpm through the first 3 gears.:big-grin-emoticon: 70 mph punch.:big-grin-emoticon: And had her up to 125 mph before I backed off.:big-grin-emoticon: Found some great curves 15 to 35 mph POSTED,:big-grin-emoticon: came up to one that said 20 but should of said 10, a real eye opener that one was. Still just amazes me how at 4500 rpm you crank on the throttle and it's almost instant 6500 rpm and climbing. I swear it has an automatic passing gear. LOL. Tomorrow supposed to get to 63 degrees so I'll have to renew the grin in case it's gone by morning.:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:.

For you I hope you don't find our dreaded wobble going that fast. Do a search and find out what can happen. We do want to keep you around for a little while yet, and more important,,,,,,,maybe,,,,,,,we don't want to loose another '83.

Oh yes I found the wobble at about 105 mph. But riding that fast is not a everyday thing. Was on back roads in central Michigan and just had to see what it could do. Stayed around 80 or under most of the day. Need to get a super brace for the front forks, felt the fork flex on hard cornering also.