IGNORED

Neutral light inop

Switch located behind the aft case cover left side of engine.

Reomve aft cover for access. The Switch sends a ground for each gear, to the

instrument panel. The contacts get worn down.

You have to remove the switch, and replace, or what I did was build up the copper contacts with thin coating of solder.

But there could be a bad wire from the switch to the Indicator.

Open switch, and apply a ground, light should come on.

Also, remember, the bulb in the light Might be burnt out.

Edited by GeorgeS

My Neutral light doesn't come on and as such I cannot let my bike idle while on the kickstand. This is even IF it is in neutral.

Where do I look first?

I did a fairly complete description of this circuit for another thread just a few days ago. Since both your neutral light is out AND the bike will not run in neutral with the side stand down, your problem seems pretty obvious: most likely the neutral switch is bad or a wire broken between it and the Starter Cutoff Relay. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I would recommend the FREE factory service manual available at this website for download.
I have it and the paper one. What I didn't have at the time was the desire to look for it. Forums make me lazy. Look, I can just ask the question and more than one will tell me where to look first. :)

~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Goose. I'm off to find the culprit.

...bet it was that damn tree! :hihi: It's been mad at me every since I introduced my dog to it.

• 6 years later...

I am having a similar problem... I recently changed to LED bulbs in the dash... the neutral indicator would stay lit- though dimly... I put the regular bulb back into that slot bc of the led lighting all the time. Recently I went back into it and pulled out the socket with pliers... It sparked, I replaced the bulb with a new one.. I still have no indicator light. Anyone have any ideas?

I can still crank the bike in neutral without the clutch...

When shifting into gear on the sidestand the bike stays cranked.

Upon releasing the clutch with sidestand down bike will cut off.

Prior to all this happening I was hearing a buzz sound coming from the blue relay on the brake side of bike- in the side cover.. I believe it may control carb heaters..

Any thoughts?