IGNORED

Camping

dave_wells

With The Warm Weather on it way

I was wondering who is into Motorcycle Camping

Were have you camped and what have you seen..

No Hotels

A camp and cook would be fun

- Whats is you favorite Motorcycle Campground ?

- What is the best town you have Visited while on the Road ?

- The oddest thing you have seen while out ?

- Are you planning a camp out and want share it

a camp out -- a cookout -- a new ride and making new friends

that is what it is about for me

I live just south east of Columbus Ohio

I relocated from Hicksville Long Island NY In 2006

Purchased a 06 Tour Deluxe just after the move took a couple of trips and camped out had fun

So I got myself a trailer from Harbor Freight for 140.00 Then a car top carrier for 100.00

Gear ---

Coleman 4 man dome tent -- air mattress -- Sleeping bag -- 11 x 11 tarp and poles --

Thin 2 burner camp stove -- Small Lantern -- Cheap Led Flash lights --- Folding Chair --

Folding Table -- Rain poncho -- Bug Candles - - Cooking Gear -- String Patio lights --

Cooler on trailer -- Charcoal (Light the Bag) – assorted rope and pegs and Hammer --

I'm hooked

Last year was very enjoyable we camped out in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Arkansas

Best camp out : Mountain View Arkansas -- Sylamore Creek Campground www.sylamorecreek.com

If you like live music every night downtown free music

Some really nice rides to

Best Experience :

2007 My friend Chuck and I camped out at the Iron Horse m \ c lodge in North Carolina

I started talking to a couple at the camp site turns out they live 25 miles

We have Been good friends ever since

Motorcycle Camping has been a very positive experience for me

Ride Safe

Dave W

Cathy and I are pretty much out camping somewhere every weekend from early May into October. I keep saying I'm going to charge admission to show people at the campgrounds our Bunkhouse camper :happy65:.

Edited by FJR Rider

You didn't ask too many questions. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

We've done some camping in a tent a few times. Mostly here in NC. We enjoyed it. Did the same thing with the harbor freight trailer and a car top carrier. We've done the cooking out and camping thing as well. Did it last year at Asheville KOA had a blast with the folks that came with us. Planning on heading back out there this year in July for a weekend.

Margaret

I LOVE camping. I don't get to do it nearly enough anymore. I spent a good share of my childhood in the woods. When I moved away from home I spent two entire summers living in my tent just outside Turtle Lake, WI. That area is now a boyscout camp. Last fall we went up to Madeline Island for the weekend. This year we plan on going back over this 4th of July weekend.

I'm looking at trying to build a trailer for the venture and we have done a lot of camping over the years mostly using a car or truck to get there and camp gear I have like 4 tents, 4 camp stoves, 4 lanterns, 7 sleeping bags the list go's on & on. Like you I lived in eastern Long Island around Riverhead most of my life until 89 moved to West Virginia. I can't say we have a favorite camp ground but have returned to the same one more than once because we not done exploring the area.

Edited by ToRide1

Rainsuits and cold weather ridning gear in left saddlebag all summer.

Suitcase with clothes for 2 in the trunk

Air mattress and pump and a few other things in the right side

8x8 dome tent and sleeping bags on the trunk

We've done many 4 and 5 day trips like this. We often find a bar in the country just before dark and camp out back. Food and drinks that night, and hit the road in the morning.

FJR Rider, twice we've stayed at Rays Boneyard, good company. We'll give you a buzz next time we're up that way.

Later, Scooter Bob and Karen

When I returned to riding in 2002 I also re-discovered camping. Now I can't get enough. I make two long trips a year with a cousin from Texas. We started riding together at 12 years old. We pack everything on the bikes and tent camp at state and national parks and KOA's for 6 or 7 days. Colorado's our favorite place to ride. Made a run to the Grand Canyon last year. Got sore butts and bragging rights. I pull a 2003 Aspen Classic throughout the southern states and camp at least once a month year round. I plans to retire next year and really get in some miles. Jerry

Guest tx2sturgis

I had previously posted this message in the BOATS thread, but it was just not getting much interest. So now I'm cross-posting it ( with a bit of editing) in this thread, with the hope of possibly not gathering as much dust:

:fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin:

I want to stir the stick on this thread...I'm thinking about ( emphasis on the THINKING ABOUT) possibly buying a small inflatable boat, and a small motor, that I can pack up in my bike trailer and along with a small tent and sleeping bag and haul to the lake.

These small inflatable boats will weigh around 40 pounds, and the motor and gas can would weigh around 30 pounds, so this is easily hauled. Add the tent, bag, mattress and a small cooler, along with some fishing tackle, and I may have about 100 pounds more to pack. SO were talking about 200 pounds or so, making this a do-able project. I already own a 14CF trailer to pull behind the scoot.

Heres a couple of products I'm looking at:

http://www.seaeagle.com/MotormountBoats.aspx ( sea eagle 8)

http://www.smalloutboardengines.com

Its about a 50 to 150 mile ride to any lakes from where I live. Thats doable also. I want to combine riding with boating if possible. I dont want or need any kind of permanent boat that has to be hauled by a car or truck, just a small little toy for getting out on a lake that I might want to camp nearby, with the bike.

These are the small inflatable boats.....holds 2 people and gear, and it has a transom for a small 2 hp motor...its just for putting around the lake shore and catching a few fish...its not a large trailerable fiberglass boat. This is something that would deflate, fold up, and pack in a small 14CF trailer that I pull behind my bike.

Im mainly interested in hearing from those who have some experience with these little weed-wacker size boat motors...but any input is appreciated.

I have a few questions from the campers/boaters out there:

Have you tried this? How did it work out? And if I decide I hate it, I havent spent more than about $1000 to $1500 all total for the boat, motor, and supplies. I'd be looking at a little boat that would haul me and a female around the shore for a just a few hours a day. I dont plan on anything more involved like skiing or parties, so this would probably 'fit' with my desire to ride and then play on the water.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially concerning these little island hopper outboards. I have no experience with them at all.

We started m/c camping in 2006 at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana. Had all of our gear on the bike. Didn't like that and bought a used Bushtec trailer for the gear, camped at the big rally in Colorado in 2007 for a week. That was better. Last summer we bought a 1994 Bunkhouse camper on a steal, sold the Bushtec, that paid for the Bunkhouse. We used that in Canada last year for the rally. Much better. You can see pics in my gallery.

I had previously posted this message in the BOATS thread, but it was just not getting much interest. So now I'm cross-posting it ( with a bit of editing) in this thread, with the hope of possibly not gathering as much dust:

:fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin::fishin:

I want to stir the stick on this thread...I'm thinking about ( emphasis on the THINKING ABOUT) possibly buying a small inflatable boat, and a small motor, that I can pack up in my bike trailer and along with a small tent and sleeping bag and haul to the lake.

These small inflatable boats will weigh around 40 pounds, and the motor and gas can would weigh around 30 pounds, so this is easily hauled. Add the tent, bag, mattress and a small cooler, along with some fishing tackle, and I may have about 100 pounds more to pack. SO were talking about 200 pounds or so, making this a do-able project. I already own a 14CF trailer to pull behind the scoot.

Its about a 50 to 150 mile ride to any lakes from where I live. Thats doable also. I want to combine riding with boating if possible. I dont want or need any kind of permanent boat that has to be hauled by a car or truck, just a small little toy for getting out on a lake that I might want to camp nearby, with the bike.

These are the small inflatable boats.....holds 2 people and gear, and it has a transom for a small 2 hp motor...its just for putting around the lake shore and catching a few fish...its not a large trailerable fiberglass boat. This is something that would deflate, fold up, and pack in a small 14CF trailer that I pull behind my bike.

Im mainly interested in hearing from those who have some experience with these little weed-wacker size boat motors...but any input is appreciated.

Have you tried this? How did it work out? And if I decide I hate it, I havent spent more than about $1000 to $1500 all total for the boat, motor, and supplies. I'd be looking at a little boat that would haul me and a female around the shore for a just a few hours a day. I dont plan on anything more involved like skiing or parties, so this would probably 'fit' with my desire to ride and then play on the water.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially concerning these little island hopper outboards. I have no experience with them at all.

I have never seen or know of anyone that pulls a boat with their motorcycle, but I have seen a few trailers for Conoes and conoes can be had as small as 12Ft and are light weight.

The Inflatable market there is pile of stuff out there but you still need a trailer to move it.

As Outboards go I'm not up to date on what's out there but have seen my share of them and worked on them as well stay with the major brand names and some lakes you are not allowed to use gas powered so careful or you will get a hefty fine.

I currently pull a 4 1/2 X 5 X 1 1/2 tralor loaded and piled with camping gear behind my 86 VR,and am out for months/all summer (hopeing to do Alk. this year).

My problem is--no room for fishing gear--my feverish little mind has been considering,parking the tralor and pulling a 10ft. jon boat with camping/fishing gear.

What could possible og wronp?

PS-who ever took care of my misspelled name correction--THANK YOU

orphan wolf:lightbulb:

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey Lobo...thats what im thinking...outside the box...and IN the boat...I think it would be cool to combine riding, camping, and boating...I'm not sure about pulling a rigid boat...might be ok for short trips, but what about overnites at an inroute motel or grocery store, with that thing sitting out there with your gear in it? or maybe even if you took the gear inside overnite...still...I guess you could put an alarm or a chain on it..hmmm....a boat cover maybe? maybe a trailer arranged so the boat is inverted...covering and protecting your camping and fishing supplies...again...hmmm...

Were going to do a bit this summer. I'm building a Harbor Freight trailer, just did a mock up assembly today and tomorrow I plan to disassemble and start painting. I have taken many pic's and will post them when she's done.

Gary

I am having a hitch made and a trailer made for my bike but this summer My wife and I and another couple are going to do summer camping all summer with only what we can carry on our bikes. no trailer, no camper, and no hotels. I am a very experienced backpacker so I know how to pack a lot in very little space. BUT a good book to buy is "Lightweight camping for motorcycle travel". Amazon.com has it used for a really low price, it's an OK book and gives some insight for those that have never done the bike only camping.

If you stick to KOA campgrounds you can pack less. Being able to wash your laundry every day makes it easier. Hit the small town diners for meals and you can skip packing cooking items and food.

State parks also have good facilities. Watch some of the private campgrounds, Many have a "no motorcycles" rule due to many of the rude no muffler crowd that party all night ruining it for the rest of us.

I just wish I could find a used motorcycle camper though, for some of the longer trips :)

Hay back at ya Bryan

Thinking about a flat cover of reinforced formica also folding support rods (like used in small dome tents-in the event of no campground but secluded parking,a torp covers the support rods and bed roll goes on the formica cover. Warm,dry,privicy-quick set up/take down-easy,early get away. lobo:lightbulb:

We have had about 15 or so people and gone to Willville Campground just off the Blue Ridge Parkway several times. http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/ Nothing fancy there, just a nice quiet place to enjoy the roads and friends. It costs $20 a night for two people. He has showers and a camp fire every night. He has coffee every morning for the bikers that do not have everything and for a couple dollars he'll have a biscuit with chicken or sausage the next morning. Great place to stop over if you are riding the Parkway.

BTW, we take a truck with us to carry all our supplies. Makes for a great weekend trip.

Spotsy

IWatch some of the private campgrounds, Many have a "no motorcycles" rule due to many of the rude no muffler crowd that party all night ruining it for the rest of us.

I just wish I could find a used motorcycle camper though, for some of the longer trips :)

At least one "no motorcycle" campground here in Wisconsin, Wilderness Campground in Montello WI. They will allow motorcyclists to camp there, but in a separate area well away from the main campground, and you have to carry your stuff in. A couple of years ago we were reserving two campsites for ourselves and our daugther's family at Wilderness for a holiday weekend. They would be using their large popup and us our Bunkhouse. As the campground owner was completing the reservation she asked what type of campers we had...I told her what our daughter's camper was and then told them what our camper was and 'that we towed it with a motorcycle.' The campground owner then said we couldn't camp in that part of the campground. I was nice and said we just wanted to enjoy the weekend with a grandkids, we'd park our bike in the outside parking lot and have our son-in-law tow our camper in to our spot next to theirs. I was then rudely told, "sorry, but you and your wife will have to camp in the motorcyclist only area! No exceptions". I told her that once we parked the bike outside and had our son-in-law tow our camper in we were just like anyone else in the campground...her answer back was "sorry, no exceptions, motorcyclists (she didn't say motorcycles, she said motorcyclists) are not allowed in the main campground."

If you're looking for used campers, try the Motorcycle Trailer forum on Delphi Forum, or the Gold Wing forums.

Ever think Electric??? We run a 45lb thrust Minkota on the back of our 14ft fiberglass fishing boat. It goes 3.5 mph, almost what that little gas job does that you're looking at. Might weigh a little more with the battery, but you won't be spilling gas in your trailer. Probably get motor and good battery for less than $300.

Just a thought, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

Guest tx2sturgis
Ever think Electric??? We run a 45lb thrust Minkota on the back of our 14ft fiberglass fishing boat. It goes 3.5 mph, almost what that little gas job does that you're looking at. Might weigh a little more with the battery, but you won't be spilling gas in your trailer. Probably get motor and good battery for less than $300.

Just a thought, Scooter Bob

Yeah...thought about em...but with the weight penalty of 40 pounds or so, thats a large weight penalty...plus charging it becomes a hassle..no 120 volt outlets in my tent!

As far as 'electric only' regs...I dont know of any lakes around here like that, and if there are, I will just use the oars and stay within 100 feet or so of the shore...or simply not camp at those lakes PERIOD. I have a steering system on my bike, and I know how to use it!

:cool10: