IGNORED

Maintenance on a RSV

Can anyone give me just a short run down on what to expect for maintenance on a RSV?

For example, we are looking for a RSV, and found a 2002 for $6,000.00 with 27K miles on it.

Then we found a 2005 with 40K miles on it for $7,000.00

We are also looking for 2006 and newer, but we may consider something with Little more miles and a year or two older then a 2006, to offset the price of $10K for a 2006

What I don;t want to happen is, I buy a 2002 or a 2005 with 30k-40K, and find out I need to spend several thousand on the bike for routine maintenance because of the miles.

Then we would be better off just bitting the bullet now, and spending $10K on a newer bike, and enjoy it and ride it.

Thanks for your help, as we are eager to buy a RSV after owning several other cruiser and touring bikes.

Hi Marco,

Hey, I attached a link (below) for you to read. It will give you some ideas on what to look for as far as " known problems " with RSV's

However, please understand that not all bikes are the same, which means that the one your looking at may not show any signs of the known problems listed in this link, and then again that bike could have a few or a bunch of them.

I am attaching the link to "improve your knowledge" about the RSV in general, and not to pursuade you or influence you on your buying decision on any RSV you look at.

Before you click on the link, please note that I had an 05 RSV up until last week (wrecked it), but I really really liked that bike. Yes, it had a couple of the known problems listed, but I fixed them with the help of others on this forum, and my bike was as dependable as any out there. I would get on it today and ride to California if I could.

So with that being said, I ask that you read the info on this link with an open mind and it will improve your knowledge on what to look for or even ask the previous owner about, prior to you buying one.

Hope it helps answer some of your questions.

One other thing.

Whether it is an 03,04,05,06,07, 08 or 09 RSV..they are all build the same, they all have the same exact parts and the only difference is thier color...!!!

Known problems with RS- Ventures

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067

The Engines, and Tranny's are almost bullet proof.

Any other maintenance you can mostly do yourself. Easy, and help is here, whatever you need. Somebody here has allready done, and will be glad to help.

About all they need is normal maintenance, if you have been working on bikes in the past, you will have no trouble with any Venture.

Tires, brakes, Serviceing, about same as any bike.

Hi Marco,

Hey, I attached a link (below) for you to read. It will give you some ideas on what to look for as far as " known problems " with RSV's

However, please understand that not all bikes are the same, which means that the one your looking at may not show any signs of the known problems listed in this link, and then again that bike could have a few or a bunch of them.

I am attaching the link to "improve your knowledge" about the RSV in general, and not to pursuade you or influence you on your buying decision on any RSV you look at.

Before you click on the link, please note that I had an 05 RSV up until last week (wrecked it), but I really really liked that bike. Yes, it had a couple of the known problems listed, but I fixed them with the help of others on this forum, and my bike was as dependable as any out there. I would get on it today and ride to California if I could.

So with that being said, I ask that you read the info on this link with an open mind and it will improve your knowledge on what to look for or even ask the previous owner about, prior to you buying one.

Hope it helps answer some of your questions.

One other thing.

Whether it is an 03,04,05,06,07, 08 or 09 RSV..they are all build the same, they all have the same exact parts and the only difference is thier color...!!!

Known problems with RS- Ventures

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067

Can't thank you enough

These bikes are fun to ride. I would recommend purchasing a bike that has some factory warranty left to it. You will definitely have fun working on the bike for maintenance and adding blings.

+1 This bike has a 5 year transferrable warranty. The 2005 will still have a year warranty on it (maybe - depends when it was originally purchased).

At 40k miles, you might be needing a clutch - or at least an updated clutch spring. If you are handy at all, with a little coaching, it should take you about 1/2 hour to do. A set of clutch friction plates are about $80, $10 gasket, $40 springs. You should be good to go.

Other than that, some grease, oil change, gas, and go. Very reliable bike.

RR

Can anyone give me just a short run down on what to expect for maintenance on a RSV?

For example, we are looking for a RSV, and found a 2002 for $6,000.00 with 27K miles on it.

Then we found a 2005 with 40K miles on it for $7,000.00

We are also looking for 2006 and newer, but we may consider something with Little more miles and a year or two older then a 2006, to offset the price of $10K for a 2006

What I don;t want to happen is, I buy a 2002 or a 2005 with 30k-40K, and find out I need to spend several thousand on the bike for routine maintenance because of the miles.

Then we would be better off just bitting the bullet now, and spending $10K on a newer bike, and enjoy it and ride it.

Thanks for your help, as we are eager to buy a RSV after owning several other cruiser and touring bikes.

When I sold my RSV it had 103,214 miles on it :happy34: and never had a maintenance issue--just normal p.m. --> change oil and tires and keep on rollin'. I would not have hesitated to take it on a long trip.

Marco

If I recall correctly from your other post you are in the Melborune area?

I am in Edgewater, just south of Daytona, if you find a venture you like and need any help or information I am glad to help.

One thing you will probably want to get is a handheld tach and a Morgan Carbtune for synching the carbs, I have both and can show you how easy it is to do if you like.

Other than that just keep the oil changed, fluids in good shape and ask the shop to lube the rear splines any time time they have rear wheel off and you are good to go for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Marco

If I recall correctly from your other post you are in the Melborune area?

I am in Edgewater, just south of Daytona, if you find a venture you like and need any help or information I am glad to help.

One thing you will probably want to get is a handheld tach and a Morgan Carbtune for synching the carbs, I have both and can show you how easy it is to do if you like.

Other than that just keep the oil changed, fluids in good shape and ask the shop to lube the rear splines any time time they have rear wheel off and you are good to go for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Wow, thank you, I'll definatley take you up on that offer, and lunch is on me :thumbsup2: