IGNORED

Getting Ready to ride north, to the Arctic Circle

Good afternoon! I don't post a ton, but when I get ready for a big trip I always like to come here 'cause I know you folks talk the talk AND walk the walk! :thumbsup2:

I have a 2006 RSTD w/15,000 miles. I've done the oil changes, plug changes, carbtuning etc. I'm leaving sometime around June 19th for a trip from Wichita, Kansas to Fairbanks Alaska and up the haul road to the Arctic Circle and I have a couple of questions for you all.

I'm running two 12V outlets on the front of the bike for accessories and a TomTom Rider2 for GPS. Currently, all of these are wired straight to the batter through a 5amp fuse. I've been considering a relay, but it's not broke right now so I'm tempted to leave it be. Good idea or bad?

I'm concerned about tires. This looks like a 12,000 mile trip and most of my tires in the past have lasted for less than 7K. I absolutely hate the Avon tires in the rain and I didn't like the stock Bridgestones. Suggestions on a good high mileage tire? To the Darkside perhaps?

I'm going to need to purchase some heated gear. What is the amp draw that these bikes can handle. I'm not expecting it to be too cold up there and have thought about killing the carb heaters. Good idea or not?

I'm planning on pulling and lubing the back tire when I put on new rubber. I'm going to go over all the bolts with loctite blue for the saddle bags and accessories. I'm going to take of my bubs and put my stock pipes back on. What else should I do?

I know that's a lot of questions and I haven't even asked the ones about my route yet! Thanks in advance for your help!

Heated gear - Gerbings or Warm and Safe. WnS is less expensive and works great. Get the Heat-Troller so you can adjust the temp of the heated gear - you can also turn it down to save on current draw. www.warmnsafe.com They currently have a sale on 2nds (just checked to confirm the website address).

Don't disconnect the carb heaters. If you need the extra current for the heated gear, it is cold enough to need the carb heaters. Change out your lights to LEDs to save a few watts. Also, install a voltmeter to monitor the current draw.

The new Dunlop Elite3 tires are being tested by a few on here. They sound interesting as it appears they have a thicker tread for longer life. Have never run them, but they will probably be my next set to try.

You can also ship a set of tires to a dealer in Fairbanks to install when you get back from the Haul Road. Don't count on them having the correct sizes in stock - they won't.

You may want to run one of the outlets through a relay, with properly sized wires, and a larger fuse to run a small air compressor. They draw 8 to 10 amps and will pop the fuse of the standard outlet. Good idea to have one of these along. Also, get a tire plug kit and know how to use it.

Puruse the advrider.com website for tips in info about running Alaska. There is a lot of information on there specific to Alaska (and elsewhere). Here is the link to the Alaska forum http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68.

Have a great time.

RR

Michelin Commanders have been good tires for me. I go through the bridgstones in about 6000 miles and the commanders have been lasting 12-14 on the back and 18-21 on the front. The handle MUCH better than the Bridgstones too.

Going to try the E3 next time if I can find one and afford it but haven't got there yet.

I can only say what I would do... but for tire life, yes, a Car Tire on the rear. I run a Kumho on the rear but the BFG may be a better choice for this run. The BFG is a 2-ply sidewall and (I think) 4 ply tread.

On the front I would run a good brand rear tire but in reverse rotation.

This combo SHOULD give you close to twice the miles before needing to change them. And better resistance to road hazards.

As far as the 2 outlets wired direct... I would put them on a relay activated by the switch just as insurance that I didn't leave something on and kill the battery in the middle of nowhere.

And that brings up the battery. Just from reading when I was looking for a battery last week... the advertising says an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery will hold up better to vibration and rough riding. Might be a good time to get a new battery.

Good luck and I'd love to make the trip myself one day!

I recently put a Dunlop E3 pon the back of my Venture. The front still has the 404. I rode it through two rain storms and the bike did very well. I also have First Gear heated gloves with a controller. They worked fine with the stock 12v outlet.

Jim

I recently put a Dunlop E3 pon the back of my Venture. The front still has the 404. I rode it through two rain storms and the bike did very well. I also have First Gear heated gloves with a controller. They worked fine with the stock 12v outlet.

Jim

Jim,

I believe the First Gear gloves and controller are private labelled Warm and Safe. Good stuff.

RR

Thanks for all the info so far. What maintenenace items should I be doing? Anything special? I've never changed the air filters. I suppose I should do that.

I've been leaning car tire for a while, but I need to get it done ASAP so I can change it if I hate it.

Switched realy? Anybody have a part number for something like that?

Thanks for all the info so far. What maintenenace items should I be doing? Anything special? I've never changed the air filters. I suppose I should do that.

I've been leaning car tire for a while, but I need to get it done ASAP so I can change it if I hate it.

Switched realy? Anybody have a part number for something like that?

Here is a link to the wiring for the relay.

The relay is commonly called a "30 amp Bosch relay". They used to be the most common relay around. Used for wiring almost any kind of accessory. Chevy even used it on some vehicles. Just wish I had a part# for you. If you can find an older guy at a parts store he should know what to give you.

You may want to think of a higher output stator so you don't run the battery down. There are some available on the web. I plan the same trip in 2010 and will have the larger stator when I make the trip.

The tire plug kit is a must. I spent two years in Fairbanks, and the summer roads will cut a tire. Carrying spare tires were common in the late 60's when I was there.

Enjoy your ride. That sounds like pretty good ride. Do you have any maps after Fairbanks, just curious about the Haul rode.

Not sure what the haul rode is like but they could be some pretty big rocks. The car tire may be nice to have going over some those sharp stones.

Brad

I have the Milepost book and my nephew is stationed at Fairbanks. So, I figure if I mess it up too bad, he'll come get me. :o

I like the idea of a car tire for that exact reason. A new stator? I'll have to look into that. Thanks again!

Thanks Leland, I'll take a look at the manual.

Everyone being different, I ride in the mid-30s with flannel lined pants, chaps, t-shirt, hoodie, leather jacket and gloves. Myself, heated gloves would be the only heated equip I would use.

My in-laws rode their Harley Ultras up there several years ago. They had side cars and took spare rear tires and had/needed them changed when they got to either Anchorage or Fairbanks. Don't rely on being able to find the tire you need up there.

12,000 miles is a bit to far, we did that trip in 2001, rode every paved road in Alaska, did a side trip to the Northwest Territory and did 9525 miles in 35 days. We were pulling a 750 pound trailer, camped out every night but 2. We carried a spare front and back tire, but never needed them. I know several people that have made that trip several times and never had any tire trouble. Even if you were to wear out a tire, you're probably coming back through Edmonton and Calgary.

Ozlander

If you end up in Anchorage and need anything you can call me 907-440-7159. I hosted a Ride-In in Alaska in 2007 and have lived here for 26 years. Two European bikers just came down from Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) last week. It was -32 when they left the North Slope. They travel the world and stopped by the local motorcycle show to share their stories. I think they were on BMWs. The rode north from Fairbanks is paved for a while. Drive slow, there are frost heaves that will throw you for a loop. After the pavement it only gets worse. People have gone north on big bikes like Goldwings and such but the rode was built for truckers, not motorcycles. Wear a full face helmets because the rocks from passing vehicles hurt. I wish you luck. Dan

Yea, 12K is a bit too far. My buddy is navigating and that's what he told me. A quick look show it to be less than 8K. I can probably do that on regular tires.

Thanks Dan. I always wear a full helmet and armor, but thanks for the info.