IGNORED

Tire Cracks-Anyone Else?

Red Ryder

Hey All, TIRE CRACKS-ANYONE ELSE? I am just starting the riding season for 09. Checked the Avon Tires, and like last year, Weather Cracks all around the Rear Tire. Last year, it was weather cracks on both tires. I am Really Concerned considering that these New Tires were just made (not sitting in the warehouse) and shipped to the Bubbas for installation at this time last year. I just wrote Avon and waiting for a response.

Bubbas in Linwood Michigan took Great Care of me last year with this problem, and after Avon verified the tire tread depth was way within the ratio, Avon admitted it was their fault, and paid for New Tires and Installation, but Blamed the Cracks on Tires sitting around to long in the Warehouse. The front and rear tires on my RSV now have a tremendous amount of tread left, almost like brand new. These Avons ware great. But, as much as I like these Avons, I am unsure if I should put another set back on. Everyone Please Check your Tires. Later-

Will do. My tires are roll starved therefore might be suffering from the effects of crack. If I could I would put my tires on a daily regimes of rolling therefore not giving them the time to sit around and crack. But this is to no avail for I and my bike are a product of a dreaded thing called winter. To which we have no control. Hell, I'm starting to crack!:rotfl::rotfl::D

If they are like mine were....it is cracked all the way around, both sides, right near the rim. Many cracks appear and they are hard to tell just how deep they go or if the tire is truly damaged. My dealer told me he would not ride that way....particularly on the highway.

NEVER, EVER put any type of tire dressing on motorcycle tires!!!!!! EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!!!!!!

KiteSquid,

By any chance, do you have constructive evidence as to why you believe this to be true?

I would like to know and understand why you say this? :think: :confused24:

A couple of us have had that problem in the past. I don't think it's a warehouse storage problem, but more of a bad compound problem. I can't locate the old thread, but when I experienced the cracking on the front tire it happened with the first 1000 miles, and by the DOT date it was only 4 months old when installed. Avon took care of mine...twice.. As the replacement tire started doing the same thing... although not nearly as bad.., and was built within two weeks of the first one. The second was also waranteed. This third tire has about 7,000 miles on it and doesn't have a problem, but it was from a different date batch about 6 months later. Another thing that could be a cause is tire pressure. I was told by Avon to run them at max sidewall PSI. In my case 50psi on the '83. I think the 2ndGens are lower at somewhere around 40psi.

Here's a pic of tire one. Not pretty. And the scary part about it while riding with Hdhtr up in Nevada we were up in the triple digits...

Edited by Condor

This is what I found when I went out to do my pre-first-ride-of-the-season-inspection. There are more, but these are the most dramatic. If I'm remembering the prior converstations properly the middle pic has the manufacture date. I put this one on in July of last year. Plenty of tread left. As if...

KiteSquid,

By any chance, do you have constructive evidence as to why you believe this to be true?

I would like to know and understand why you say this? :think: :confused24:

Every motorcycle shop I have been to says to never put any kind of tire dressing on them, for the same reason they say you should scuff the tire in good right after mounting.

I use Lexol Vinylex on the sidewalls only, careful to keep away from anything like tread.

Wiped on this way, it should be zero problem, even in the rain.

Spray on dressings and things that look "wet" WILL run in the rain, and should not be used.

Those small cracks near the rim, or even small ones in between the tread should be no problem, just keep an eye on them.

I have been told that in the rain it can wash onto the tread and get slick?

Well, I guess it could, but never ever heard of this..??

Every motorcycle shop I have been to says to never put any kind of tire dressing on them, for the same reason they say you should scuff the tire in good right after mounting.

I have heard of riding slow and very safe the first 50 miles or so to scuff in the tire, but I have never ever heard anything about putting dressing on a bike tire.. never have I heard this before..wonder what is available to back up this therory other than hearsay, for I would really like to read more about this to what effects, if any, it has on the rubber tire itself, or if it is a possible safety hazard like yamahamer mentioned above.

Guess I have been lucky the last 30 years:doh: Craig

You an me both Craig........:think:

Here is what Armor All has to say

Can I use Armor All® Protectant Products on my tires; including whitewall, motorcycle and bicycle?

Armor All® Protectant Products are ideal for protecting, shining and cleaning your car tires. Just spray onto surface, let penetrate and wipe off for a great shine and long-lasting protection. However, these products should not be used on cycle tires due to slipperiness.

Straight from their website:

http://www.armorall.com/faq/interior.php#answer12

Check with the manufacture of any tire dressing BEFORE using on any two wheeled vehicle!!!!!!!!

I always keep my tires on the cage scrubbed and with a coat of wet black, or amourall and would love to have my scoot tires looking that good too. BUt, ive looked at every product on the shelf at Canadian tire looking for something to treat my bike tires, (and I think there must be a hundred of them),,,and every one says not for use on motorcycle tires, so I figure they must know what theyre talking about and I just deal with the clean, but dull tires. If it was only one company i would think its someone just being overcautious, but when every company says it, I will listen.

Brian

I always keep my tires on the cage scrubbed and with a coat of wet black, or amourall and would love to have my scoot tires looking that good too. BUt, ive looked at every product on the shelf at Canadian tire looking for something to treat my bike tires, (and I think there must be a hundred of them),,,and every one says not for use on motorcycle tires, so I figure they must know what theyre talking about and I just deal with the clean, but dull tires. If it was only one company i would think its someone just being overcautious, but when every company says it, I will listen.

Brian

It would be my opinion that these cos would put that disclaimer on to cover their a?>s in the event someone sprayed the whole tire tread and all and then had a hard time stopping on a steel plate. I carefully wipe a tire shine product on my tires every time I clean up my bike, careful not to get any on the rim or the tread. I have been doing this forever. Actually when I first started doing this they didnt even have products specifically for tires we used floor polish. I can say I have never had a problem doing this and see no reason to stop. If you dont want to do it, by all means Dont! but done carefully its no big deal.:2cents: Craig