IGNORED

Garage door opener mounted

Repeating a mod from previous bikes (and as posted a couple of times here), I wired in and mounted my garage door opener today. I put it on the plastic flange/cover just above the gas cap. Just wanted to share this mounting location in case people are looking for options other than mounting the button on the dash. There was plenty of room to stick the opener under there, the push button is pretty unobtrusive and I can get to it easily with either hand.

Drilled a small hole in the opener case for wires which I soldered to the switch contacts of the opener. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the flange/cover to mount the push button switch from Radio Shack ($4). Popped everything back together, tightened up the two bolts and it's time to hit the road again. Pics below....

• 1 year later...
Repeating a mod from previous bikes (and as posted a couple of times here), I wired in and mounted my garage door opener today. I put it on the plastic flange/cover just above the gas cap. Just wanted to share this mounting location in case people are looking for options other than mounting the button on the dash. There was plenty of room to stick the opener under there, the push button is pretty unobtrusive and I can get to it easily with either hand.

Drilled a small hole in the opener case for wires which I soldered to the switch contacts of the opener. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the flange/cover to mount the push button switch from Radio Shack ($4). Popped everything back together, tightened up the two bolts and it's time to hit the road again. Pics below....

Good job.. I have mine mounted on the LEFT side so that I can reach it while still approaching the garage (so that the door will be open by the time I get there..). I took the guts out of the case so that it fits better under the cover (bulky remote)

I mounted mine on the back side of the headlight switch housing. I used the chrome piece off an ink pen. I had to drill the hole diameter a little bigger and installed a wired up switch, and filled the chrome piece with black RTV making it water proof.

Ran m wires to the garage door opener as shown in above posts but my opener was located between the left front fork and rear side of fairing held on by velcro.

• 6 years later...

I did this a few years ago on my 1st gen. Since I don't have the stock radio, I wired the remote to the momentary switch for the radio that was already on the handlebars. I believe it was used by the stock radio to change channels. I tucked the remote into the left side fairing. Works great.

I gutted a rolling codes homelink sunvisor for the controller and buttons. Going to be mounted in fairing of my 83.

It's programmable so it doesn't matter if I move to another house with a different opener.

Will also work with other homelink devices like automatic gates, lights, etc.

Wired to the bike's 12v electrical system so no batteries to change and it's always available.

:)

Great idea!!

I have been keeping mine in my pocket (without the silver clip) and it works fine for me.

Yeppers...me too! But I do like the idea of buying a couple of remotes and mounting them hidden on the bikes. Getting tired of trying to remember which jacket has the remote!!

Grins!