IGNORED

Need your opinion

1rooster

Pics are a bit small Gerry, little tough to see, but I would want to comment on a few things.

The trunk seems a bit high up, and it looks like it would be too far back and take away all your tounge weight when it was loaded, I would definitely not put it there as your handling would be drastically affected. I think that I would stick with just the saddlebags and put some sort of cooler rack in front of them to give you more tounge weight.

I have had an idea to do just what your doing with 2nd gen saddlebags for a few years now. I just haven't had the extra monies to get all the parts and just do it. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get to it anytime soon either :( Mine would be a 2 wheel trailer as the G2 bags open from the top and not the sides.

With one wheel I would want to keep the bags as close to the ground as feasable to keep a low center balance point. Your onto a good idea and I do hope that some others will chime in and spread somne fabricating knowledge :happy34:

Pics are a bit small Gerry, little tough to see, but I would want to comment on a few things.

The trunk seems a bit high up, and it looks like it would be too far back and take away all your tounge weight when it was loaded, I would definitely not put it there as your handling would be drastically affected. I think that I would stick with just the saddlebags and put some sort of cooler rack in front of them to give you more tounge weight.

I have had an idea to do just what your doing with 2nd gen saddlebags for a few years now. I just haven't had the extra monies to get all the parts and just do it. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get to it anytime soon either

:( Mine would be a 2 wheel trailer as the G2 bags open from the top and not the sides.

With one wheel I would want to keep the bags as close to the ground as feasable to keep a low center balance point. Your onto a good idea and I do hope that some others will chime in and spread somne fabricating knowledge

:happy34:

It would be better with a set of 86 or newer bags but,at the moment I have only the 84 bags.

I have had an idea to do just what your doing with 2nd gen saddlebags for a few years now. I just haven't had the extra monies to get all the parts and just do it. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get to it anytime soon either

:( Mine would be a 2 wheel trailer as the G2 bags open from the top and not the sides.

With one wheel I would want to keep the bags as close to the ground as feasable to keep a low center balance point. Your onto a good idea and I do hope that some others will chime in and spread somne fabricating knowledge

:happy34:

I think it would be better with 86 and newer bags but at the moment I have only the 84 bags.

Decided to can the trunk.It does have a chrome fender on it but I will replace it with a Venture fender and lights and maybe even a bumper.It still has the original shocks but I relocated them to lower the fender closer to the tire.Thanks for all your suggestions and keep them coming.

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/44906/2363760830037297848S600x600Q85.jpg

Considering there is a brake on that wheel, are you going to use a sliding tongue with the brake actuation rod attached to it so the trailer has brakes?

Also, I'm not sure if light tongue weight has the same adverse effects on a one wheel trailer as on a two wheel trailer, as long as the tongue is not lifting up on the bike.

Cool stuff.

Now you can take this a little further, put in a hydraulic pump, some lines and a hydraulic motor and you got yourself a two wheel drive.

i like your idea's of doing it yourself wish i had the talent to make things likethat.. the single whel teailers i have seen were low and long i think it has to do with the balance like this one http://www.goodguyspowersports.com/proddetail.php?prod=Uni-GoTouring

just my thoughts though

• 1 month later...

You could always mount something cosmetic (useless) where the trunk was to give it some shape, may even help with airflow. Like the idea of the cooler rack on the tongue.

A single wheel trailer just needs to be fixed so that it leans when the bike leans.

Brad

so Gerald, how is the trailer coming along?

cheers, Scott

Kinda like on hold right now.The bags off the 84 just dont have the right shape.The 86 and newer,being bigger and flat on the backside would be perfect.Looking for a set.