IGNORED

Avon tire mileage

Stoutman

I'm about to go on a 3000 mile trip, but my rear Avon Venom has 10,500 miles on it. The rear tread depth is currently 2.9mm, or .115 inches. When new the same spot on the tire had a tread depth of .350 inches, or 8.89 mm. To me this is right on the edge of being able to get me home, and I'm leaning toward a replacement before I leave.

Anybody have the mileage numbers on their Avon Venom rear tire they would like to share?

I'm about to go on a 3000 mile trip, but my rear Avon Venom has 10,500 miles on it. The rear tread depth is currently 2.9mm, or .115 inches. When new the same spot on the tire had a tread depth of .350 inches, or 8.89 mm. To me this is right on the edge of being able to get me home, and I'm leaning toward a replacement before I leave.

Anybody have the mileage numbers on their Avon Venom rear tire they would like to share?

I have 15k miles on mine, but everyones wear is so different. If you are concerend at all I say replace it. Its an easy peace of mind. I'm having my new tire installed Tuesday.

I have gotten 14,000 each out of two rear Avon Venom tires. That compares to only 8,000 out of the stock Brickstone rear. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the reply. That is what I estimated I would get by extrapolating my current tread wear against what is left on the tire. I think I'll put on a new tire, then run this one out the next time I'm due. Be nice to have a spare I can put on and not have to wait for one to be delivered.

I can't speak to the Avons, but anytime my tires are close to minimum tread depth, I replace them before a road trip. For me, it is not just a question of being able to make the trip before the tread is gone, but having new rubber might keep something from puncturing all the way through the tire. A few years back I removed a small screw from the rear tire that went in at an angle without puncturing the tire.

Anybody have an Avon they took off Rear ??

I would like to see a cross Section Cutout of one of them.

How thick is the tire after the tread is worn OFF.

The bottom line is, there AIN'T no rubber left!

I love my Avon tires in all aspects but one - once the tread is past the wear bars and approaching the bottom of the center grooves, there is NO excess rubber under that as an extra margin of safety. If you push these tires past the wear bars, one quick lock of the rear brake will give you a peek at the cords. I have sectioned these tires, as I do all of the tires I wear out, and there is no danger of a blow out from this, but I still wish there was more rubber there. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

In the past avon venom x have lasted for 22,000 to 26,000 miles on my 2000 venture. There are two different types of tires mt90HB are for touring or cruiser that has a stiffer side wall for the long haul and the mt90V that has a softer side wall and softer compound tread for sport bikes that will only last 10,000 or more. For my venyure I use the HB. LGR

Hey Jon. If you think your rear tire life is on the end, you can perform 86er mode, and have some fun :rotf::rotf:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12891

I saw that when you posted it the first time. That is Legendary! As fun as that looks, I think I'll keep the old tire and try to get another 3-4k out of it, or just keep it around in case I damage my good tire and need a quick replacement to keep me on the road.