IGNORED

Close encounters of the bird kind...

GG54172

Well, I think I have had enough of the birds here in Iowa. Maybe the water is different in Michigan. A couple of summers ago, I had an owl try to take my helmet off. It actually hit my helmet with its feet. With my first gen I have dodged countless sparrows and blackbirds and actually hit two with the windscreen.

Last summer I pegged a bird of some sort (I still don't know what it was) with the mirror stem of my nighthawk at 75mph. Gave a new defininition to the term: poof! I walked into the house, covered in blood, guts, and everything "else" that comes out of a bird. My wife looked at me, a confused look on her face, "What happened to you?"

Well, today, they called in the heavy armor... I was following a car to work this morning at a nice pace. About two miles left on my 18mile commute I saw a turkey standing on the side of the road, facing away from the street. The car spooked it, and it started walking into the ditch. I was already slowing down, keeping an eye on the bird, sure enough, the fat bastard looked at me, turned around and started running back onto the street. I am braking as hard as I can now, and the bird lifts its wings and starts to fly. I am actually relieved, thinking I can put a shoulder into the bird easier than trying to run one over. By now I may be down to about 30mph, and the last flap of the wings lifted the bird over my head.

I think the Gen threes should come with anti-aircraft missles.

Glad to hear your ok.

3 yrs ago I was driving our car.....all of the sudden a Canadian goose landed on my windshield. Sounded like a boulder fell into it. I've never seen so much shattered glass. Scared the daylights out of me.

Birds are nothing to mess with and you've had your fair share. Someone was watching out for you!!

Wow thought my husband was the only one to get hit by birds. He's had an owl try to hit his helmet as well. So far no turkeys I think I'll warn him.

Glad you came out of that one ok. Turkeys are much larger then the rest of the birds you've encountered. Did you ever think they may have something against you?

Margaret

Last bird that I hit (that hit me) was in the mid '70's. I was in my '58 Biscayne driving to tech school a bit above the 55 speed limit (remember that?) when I see this bluebird diving straight for me. He hit the top of the windshield dead center right behind the rearview mirror and bounced off. Had to have been a combined speed of 80-90 mph. I guess even birds commit suicide. And it didn't even crack the glass.

Did you ever think they may have something against you?

Margaret

When I was 14, I worked on a turkey farm. The farmer had 10,000 turkeys in each barn. My job was to walk through each of the three barns and find the dead ones. Anywhere from 5-30 turkeys would die per day. (The big toms would attack the little birds) Wild turkey are considered to be pretty smart, but those barn birds were incredibly stupid. Maybe they think I am some kind of bird grim reaper or something?

I had a turkey sandwich for lunch today. Damn thing tasted good. :sign I win:

Guest tx2sturgis
Glad to hear your ok.

3 yrs ago I was driving our car.....all of the sudden a Canadian goose landed on my windshield. Sounded like a boulder fell into it. I've never seen so much shattered glass. Scared the daylights out of me.

Birds are nothing to mess with and you've had your fair share. Someone was watching out for you!!

Did you try landing that thing in the Hudson? I hear that works pretty well. You become rich and famous and they put you on TV!

:stickpoke:

I have had several encounters with birds, mostly very big ones, when I lived in Texas I was driving to work one morning and a flock of albatross were in the road and they started to take off, but one was not doing a very good job of getting airborne and I ended up hitting him with the front of an 79 Plymout Volare, that bird went straigth up in the air and I saw him fall back to earth in a pile of feathers in my rear view mirror..........left a gigantic dent in the hood of the car when he impacted it.

Another time I was traveling through Alabama late at night in my van when I saw this dark object come hurtling at my windshield from the right, it hit my windshield right where it meets the hood and the impact took off both of the windshield wiper arms off the van............To this day I dont know what it was, but it scared the living crap outta me............Hope I never encounter one while Im on my bike.......had a couple come close. The largest thing I almost his is a black bear, but thats another story..

I was cruising up thru Indian River bay on my sea-doo xp doin about 60 when I t-boned a big ole sea gull, knocked my rite off the seadoo I was break dancing across the bay for a few seconds and then it got ugly:yikes: Never hit one on the bike tho. Craig

Birds are a pain. Hit several on the bike & the truck. Latest was a vulture about a week ago in the truck. He was on the road and took off but was flying in the direction we were going. Hit the brakes just as the radio antenna slapped him in the butt. And I wondered where the bird ka ka came from on that side...:rotf:

A friend and I were coming back from Daytona Bike week back in the early 80's. A turkey flying across took my buddy off his bike like he had been clothes lined. Damm near killed him, was about a hour before we even had a Highway patrolman and ambulance show up.

How bouts a 4 X 8 Sheet of damn 1/2 inch plywood.

Now that is scary.. The wife and I were riding a good

distance from a truck that was cover last Summer.

After a 10 miles or so. the darn tarp came off (blew off to the side)

Next comes that plywood (OVER BOTH US AND THE BIKE)

All we had time for was HOLY CRAP.. Pulled over and

took a couple breaths and went our way..

The truck never did stop.

Jeff

Guest Swifty

I body checked a mallard duck in Saskatchewan years ago, just after some rain, still had on the rain suit, guts everywhere, would have thrown me off the bike except for the back rest, sore shoulder for weeks.