IGNORED

Rear lube grease type

Midnight

I have read a few posts on this but still have a few questions.

I plan on lubing the rear end in 3 places when I change my rear tire on my 07 RSV.

1. Rear hub drive pins
  2. Rear hub splines
  3. Rear drive shaft splines (front and back)

This is the first time I have done this. The shop manual says to use Lithium soap for rear hub area and Moly for driveshaft.

I have read posts about the Honda Moly 60 paste on this site. I mentioned the Moly 60 paste to my dealer who was hesitant to use something with such a high Moly content. I didnt get into a big discussion with him as I want him to stand behind me if there are problems in the future. He has no problem with me doing my own service but seemed to be more comfortable with the lithium soap on rear and normal moly on the driveshaft.

Is there a real compelling reason to use Moly 60 or is it more important that you simply grease things to spec? Are the three areas above all that need greasing in the rear end? Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks Jim

I have read a few posts on this but still have a few questions.

I plan on lubing the rear end in 3 places when I change my rear tire on my 07 RSV.

1. Rear hub drive pins
  2. Rear hub splines
  3. Rear drive shaft splines (front and back)

Thanks Jim

Honda Moly lube is fine for all of those points. I used black moly (non-honda) when I serviced my rear suspension and shock links as well as wheel bearings and the above 3 items you listed. Sounds like the dealer is just going on what Yamaha recommends in their service manual.

I've had more problems with rear ends than anyone on this site. I'm on number 5. The last time the rear end started clicking I demanded a new bike and yamaha sent a factory rep to look at my bike. He sent the service manager to the honda dealer to buy honda moly 60 grease because he uses it for his personal use and said its the best. I haven't had any problems since, so if your dealer doesn't want to use moly 60 tell him to call yamaha and talk to them.

If you use Honda Moly60 on the splines you probably will NEVER have to buy a replacement drive shaft due to wear AND your bike will be much more quiet!!!!!!!!!!!

If you use Lithium soap grease you probably will have to buy a drive shaft and the two parts that it hooks into due to wear.

There are a few other greases that are 60% Moly or more, but they will cost you a lot more per Oz than the Honda stuff.

Wear disposable gloves and do NOT get it on your paint or chrome!!!!!!!!!! It will attach to it!!!!!!

Apply with an old tooth brush, a little goes a LONG way!!!!!!!!

BTW do NOT put Moly in your engine. It will ruin your clutch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also put a little moly60 in my motorcycle's rear gear, with the Gear Lube. about the size of a pea.

Honda Moly60 is 3 Oz in a 6 Oz tube, so dont be shocked when you find the tube half full.

Thanks for all the replies. I will talk with my Yamaha dealer about the Moly 60 thing as I think it makes good sense to use it. I plan on pulling a trailer so proper lube is very important in my opinion.

It sounds like a little bit of Moly60 goes a long way and will prevent where and tear.

I found the link attached below on an Yamaha FJR website that gives good info. I am not sure the RSV rear end is exactly the same but it looks close.

http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/spline/spline.html

After looking at this website it raises a few more questions.

Do I need to lube the driveshaft splines where they plug into the pumpkin or does the rear gear oil lubricate that part of the shaft splines?

Do you have to clean and lube the actual universal joint where the front of the driveshaft plugs in? If so how do you get to it?

Once again thanks for the comments. I'm learning. Jim

I second what ediddy said. My bike had a bad final drive and I took it to the dealer with a tube of Honda moly 60 that I purchased myself. I instructed him to take a look at the final drive and lub everything with the moly 60. Couple of days later, the dealer called and said Yamaha wan't going to do anything about the whine in th efinal drive and he couldn't use the moly 60 to lube anything with. I called Yamaha and got a local rep to ride my bike and he instructed the dealer to replace the final drive and lube everything with moly 60. The moly causes the grease to stick to the parts much better without wearing off better than regular grease

There are four places you need to use Moly60 when you pull the driveshaft.

The splines at the front of the drive shaft.

The splines at the rear of the drive shaft.

The splines that connect the pumpkin to the clutch hub.

The "Fingers" that connect the clutch hub to the rear wheel.

IIRC the Universal joint at the front of the drive shaft is quite difficult to get at. I did not lubricate it.

I just purchased a 2007 RSTD with 2800 miles, drove it a few miles (20) and noticed a distinct whine in 4th and 5th gears. Still have 4 years of warranty, but what gives? There shouldnt be a whine on a new machine...should there? Ive read your tips on lubing the rear hub with molybdenum and possible synthetic oil change. Thanks..alf

hi midnight

read your post & the link for the fjr1300 spline lube. now what i thought was interesting is the fact they can pull the u-joint off the bike by just slideing it off by hand.

everyting else in the pitchures looks a lot like the rsv rear end. now our u-joint is held on by a big nut. does anyone know why our u-joint has to have the nut on it? sure would be nice to be able to just slide it off by hand also to lube it. looks like i'll be pulling my rear end & shaft to do the lube been almost a year since i've done it.

thanks

don c.

The Nut is Part of the angled Gear Lash Setting and shouldn't be touched unless needed to. The FJR is constructed different in that Area and that's why you could just pullit off the Output Shaft on the I-4 Engine. But to be honest, i don't like both Designs too much.

How many greases are there out there with a Moly content. Is there something cheaper for those that get in there a little more often and regrease things?

I've been known to put too much grease in there. They say just a little with the Moly and I don't think I would feel comfrontable with that.As I said I tend to overgrease.

How many greases are there out there with a Moly content. Is there something cheaper for those that get in there a little more often and regrease things?

I've been known to put too much grease in there. They say just a little with the Moly and I don't think I would feel comfrontable with that.As I said I tend to overgrease.

I posted on another thread here today a little abut the moly grease and you could look for a big tub & or tube of grease to your liking and then you can order Molybdenum Disulfide from http://WWW.midwayusa.com And mix it with your grease, say 1/4 cup grease and 1/4 cup of moly powder and end up with a 50/50 mix! 50% moly and you can work it out you can have a 60% moly just like Honda sells. You end-up with a life time supply rear end lube and it also be used for wheel bearings and other stuff.

I have shopped and shopped, and the Honda Moly60 is the best value for a 50% or higher molybdenum disulfide content grease in less quantity than a 55 gallon drum.....

Get some and share it with a friend. spoon some into an old medicine bottle or other container, but make SURE to mark it properly for MSDS purposes!!!!!!

If you think Moly60 is high priced at aobut $10 for 3 Oz, look at DuPont Krytox grease, but I cant get past the price..... 2 Oz for $85.66

(snip) you can order Molybdenum Disulphide from http://WWW.midwayusa.com(/snip)

Regretablly I could not find Molybdenum Disulphide Peder at that website.

Also, for our use, Molybdenum Disulphide should already be in an oil carrier as it MIGHT fall out of suspension.

I have heard of this when people have tired adding Molybdenum Disulphide to the crank case of their automobiles (NEVER DO THIS IN A WET CLUTCH APPLICAIONT LIKE THE ROYAL STAR MOTORCYLES) and ended up with it only coating the bottom of the oil pan.

I think Honda likes it in a paste grease form is so it will stick in place a little.

Regretablly I could not find Molybdenum Disulphide Peder at that website.

Also, for our use, Molybdenum Disulphide should already be in an oil carrier as it MIGHT fall out of suspension.

I have heard of this when people have tired adding Molybdenum Disulphide to the crank case of their automobiles (NEVER DO THIS IN A WET CLUTCH APPLICAIONT LIKE THE ROYAL STAR MOTORCYLES) and ended up with it only coating the bottom of the oil pan.

I think Honda likes it in a paste grease form is so it will stick in place a little.

Sorry about that! Midway does have it and its in the Reloading Equipment listing, Moly 6 Oz. Product# 183-655 $17.79. Now this is a very finely ground powder and 6 Oz. does not sound like much but it a pint or more of the stuff and mixed with heavy wheel bering grease it should do the trick.

I posted this earlier on another thread...

Just have your local Honda CAR dealer order it if they don't stock it. Part# is 08734-0001 and retail is $9.58. Moly 60 in the 3 oz mini grease gun tube.

You did, and that looks like a great deal!!!!!!!!!!! I know that is were I will buy it in the future!!!!

I was looking at the dry Molybdenum disulphide for a non motorcycle application.

Removed both wheels today and will send them out Monday to get the New Avon Venoms on. Plan on putting Moly 60 on all splines and pins after thourough cleaning. There was very little grease there. They sure skimp at the factory.

While the rear tire is off I thought I would lube up the rear shock pivot points as I have a squeak occasionally especially when it is cold. Is Moly 60 the stuff for this too?

JR

Removed both wheels today and will send them out Monday to get the New Avon Venoms on. Plan on putting Moly 60 on all splines and pins after thourough cleaning. There was very little grease there. They sure skimp at the factory.

While the rear tire is off I thought I would lube up the rear shock pivot points as I have a squeak occasionally especially when it is cold. Is Moly 60 the stuff for this too?

JR

Yes you can use it for all the pivot points for the sock and swing arm. Note there is bushing's inside where the Links are bolted to the swing arm and to the sock and they should slide out and put a little grease on the outside of them too & the bolts but not the threads! use lock-tight on that part.