IGNORED

Ignition coil wiring diagram & firing order

Can anyone tell me which wire coming rom the TCI module goes to which coil? I have determined that number one cylinder is the left rear, number two is left front, number three is right rear and four is right front. Now, there are four wires coming out of the TCI- Orange, Grey, Yellow and White that go to the coils. I need to know which wire goes to which cylinders perspective coil.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Tim

Tim, from the 83 manual, they show:

#1 Orange, #2 Gray, #3 Yellow, #4 White

I hope that's correct, I seem to remember that there are numerous errors in the manual,

hopefully someone else will jump in if this is not correct.

• 14 years later...

I have changed the pulse and checked coils I don't have spark on front two cylinders, I'm think TCI, any other test I can make before ordering the $350 part.i have ohm all components they are ok, should I have 12v to the plug to coil or does that give another sign of bad computer.

Brook, have you download the service manual for your 83 Venture yet or do you have a paper one? There is a link to a downloadable copy in the 1st Gen tech reference library section.  I believe there is a troubleshooting procedure in there that might help you in determining if you have a bad TCI or not before spending the money on one.  I would strongly recommend changing the spark plug wires and caps as they do go bad with corrosion. Just be careful when removing the wires from the coils as they use a small rubber o-ring to retain the wires behind the screw on retainer. You might also get some electrical contact cleaner and use that on the pugs and pins on the TCI and coils to make sure you have a clean connection. You are looking at 40 year old wiring and connection on that bike.

Good luck,

Rick F.

I have no wish to hijack this thread from new member Brook.  I do have some observations and some questions which closely parallel his inquiry.  Replacing the old caps, plugs and wires is clearly necessary for any older bike.  The second step is to accept the fact that all the connections in the ignition system should be checked and cleaned, at the TCI, coils, and the grounds for the system.  My question is to the persistence of the "week spark" condition.  My observation is that the original spark plug, the NGK DPR8EA-9, has a built in 4800 ohm resistance, the original plug caps had a 9500 ohm resistance, total 14500.    This is the OEM design.  New NGK caps are 4800 ohms.  So now the ohm total is only 9600 ohms.  My spark has improved greatly now this maintenance has been done, from almost non existent to pathetically weak, wispy, and thin.  My coils look intact, have a 3.3 ohm primary and the secondary windings are in spec.  All contacts and connectors are squeaky clean, grounds are 100%.  I do have a 2.5 to 3.3 ohm gremlin in the kill switch which is my next target but what about the ohms in the cap and plug. Cow Puc says he's run 5000 ohm caps for years so this is probably;y not an issue, but it might be.  Just fishing on my part to unwind this weak spark condition.  My suspicion is a low voltage condition, or a failure to completely ground the primary when the spark is triggered, resulting in an only partial collapse of the primary field.  Input appreciated....

It's very typical for the plug wires to corrode where they screw into the plug caps.  Usually snipping off a bit of wire until you see clean copper wire will fix this issue for a while.  My Kawasaki has o-rings inside the end of the cap which seals the connection against water intrusion and this doesn't happen on that bike.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar  issue  4 years ago. I found the connectors on the TCI coated with greenish powder. Thoroughly cleaned all the terminals and with a tiny brush electronic contact  cleaner a second cleaning with ACF50 and finally just a good flush and saturation with ACF 50. The bike has run like  dream ever since.