IGNORED

rain gear opinion.............

painterman67

just kicking the idea around for wet weather gear and was looking for opinions. I know how varied the opinions on this site are, but still willing to risk it. AS I dont have any gear with body armor yet I am thinking of getting a 3 season jacket and pants set with body armor. Either that or use Frogg toggs over my leather gear that I presently own. Chaps and jacket no armor.

All opinions are welcome as my mind isn't made up yet. Thanks for any input in advance.

David

I have the Motoport (Cycleport) Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket with 2-part Aero-Tex Liner that includes a zip-out Thermoloft Insulated Liner. I also have the Air Mesh Kevlar Pants with the Aero-Tex Liner, as well. These things both have built-in armor that covers more of your body than any other. It's removable (so you can wash the garments) & conforms to your body contours. They custom-size them for you. Not cheap, but great stuff. I've had mine for about 2 years now & they look almost new. Oh, they're also guaranteed for 7 years. You can read more at motoport.com.

We've had good luch with Frogg Toggs as well. Last fall my wife and I bought the motorcycle specific version of Frogg Toggs that has the reflective piping. I think they are called Road Toads or something like that. We haven't put them to the test yet but I am certain they will work fine.

DT

Ok thanks folks . been watching a set of fogg toggs go on and off of sale at Gander Mountain. I was always told to listen when expirience speeks so as soon as I can the ft"s will be purchased. Only reson I was considering the three season set up is the ones I was looking at were water proof and also offerd the body armor. It's been 20 years since I laid one down at 65 mph and the armor saved me from injury. Of that i feel positive. I slid 100 ft and didn't get a scratch. This is my first bike since then and I'm still a little aprehensive. With each ride the fear for lack of a better word lessons to just a small nag.

Hope I'm not being paranoid , as it took a long time to get back on.

Thanks for the input.

David

Guest rande

Hi I bought a few pair last year from the following, and have just received sale info as below, just thought for comparison purposes. The service was good and they had no problem shipping to Canada.

We are pleased to announce 20% off everything

Shirtznthingz.com "STIMULUS SALE"

GET READY FOR SPRING RIDING

FROGG TOGGS RAIN GEAR

NOW 20% OFF

In fact all items on the web site are 20% off!

http://www.venturerider.org/DSN/wwwshirtznthingzcom/Content/Images/RoadToad1.gif

http://www.venturerider.org/DSN/wwwshirtznthingzcom/Content/Images/FroggToggs1.jpg

AS OUR STIMULUS GIFT TO YOU WHEN YOU VISIT

Shirtznthingz.com

Just enter "Spring09" as the special discount code on your order to receive the 20% discount.

Custom Items - No Problem

Embroidered Items

Screen Printing

and much more!

Let us know if you want us to add any products to our store - If you do not see what you want - just send us an e-mail and will address your request.

Thanks for shopping at Shirtznthingz.com

Frogg Toggs

I use them 3 years now they are fine They also pack real good

Watch when you Buy they have changed the design

This is good thing I only had 2 complaints that's what was changed

They added an extra cover over the zipper and change the pant leg

The only reason I mention this is

One store near me in Ohio has the both old and new style on the rack for the same price

............Ride Safe............

:rain2:

One large bottle of baby oil. Soak yourself down real good before a rain ride and the rain runs right off.:rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Seriously though, we bought a set of reflective rain suits made for motorcycle riding can't tell you what brand but seem to work good. We have used them occasionally and had good results. Plus the are colored purple a good color if you grow concord grapes for a living.:rotfl::rotfl: The frogg toggs are well built and would be my choice if I was buying again.:D

Can someone please explain to me why Frogg Toggs would come in black, blue or gray? In rainy weather, wouldn't yellow or orange or even neon green be smarter? At least the women's comes in cherry. That one might be a little more "see-able". Maybe it's just me, but I want to be seen in gray weather & those colors just don't do it for me.

I don't know if this is an issue with all raingear, but Frogg Toggs melt when they come in contact with pipes. Not sustained touching, but just a brush will create a hole.

That said, I wear Frogg Toggs and plan to never touch the pipes. :)

If you have deep pockets, and want to be comfortable, look for GoreTex or other Durrable Waterproofing treated fabrics.

My pockets are not that deep.

I bought Nelson-Rigg rain suits and am qutie happy, but not as comfortable as if I had bought Goretex.

BTW, FroggToggs are made out of Tyvek.

If anyone's interested I have a very nice Brand New set of First Gear rain gear that I hate to admit.. is too small at 3X. I picked the set up from a local auction last year and just yesterday tried on the jacket. No go... I guess it's gotta be 5x for me before I head to Cody this year. I could get the 3x on, but it woulda been nice to breathe.... :) Anyway if you're in the 1x to 2x size range, and have $60 bucks. I'll send them on. Includes shipping. PM me....

Yet another vote for Frogg Toggs. They are temp sensitive. I melted holes in the front legs of my first set leaning up against my pipes. Didn't realize that it had happened as my riding jeans had stopped the heat from going any further. But that set had protected me thru 2 days on nearly non stop rain while I was on a cross country trip. I stayed dry from the rain and myself as I didn't get sweated up wearing them which is what normally happens to me from regular rain gear.

I'm not crazy about the dark color of the Road Toads which are my current set. But the reflective strips really light up on them even inside my house where I keep the jacket hanging on a door hook.

These are more comfortable to ride in than any other gear I've used. If you watch for sales, they can be a really good buy and are definitely worth the money.

Guest tx2sturgis

Nice to see you posting Brenda....Havent I seen you on the Yamaha Star Riders Yahoo group?

I have a set of frogg toggs, but have yet to use them in a soaking rain. I have used my other set, which are the 2 piece HD rain gear, that I've had for about 12 years, and they work great. I think a 2 piece set is the way to go.