IGNORED

rate favorite bikes.

Snarley Bill

i was just thinking of what bikes i liked the best of the 70 something that i have had . and thought it might be interesting to here from others. my favorite motocross bike of all times was my yamaha 400 monoshock. favorite fast bike but not quite the fastest was my hotrodded 88 v-max. favorite touring bike of all times, 1800 gold wing. best looking touring bike my venturized 05 rstd. best looking custom cruiser, my prostreet yamaha roadstar warrior. fasted bike by far my zx-14. favorite of my first five bikes honda 305 scrambler. now for what i think is going to be my all time all around favorite, mainly cuz it is always a joy to ride, does everything exactly right, very fast, excellent handling and ride, and looks good, and i enjoy it more every time i ride it, my v-star 1300. ya ,it's hard to believe but i'm really getting more attached to it everytime i get on it. whats everyone else's choice by category? :2133:

Well...my favorite of all time is my current RSV. I've owned it for almost 10 years now. Before the RSV, the longest I have ever owned any single bike has been about 1 year. That says a lot.

My favorite enduro type bike was a an Yamaha XT500 Thumper. I THINK it was about an '86 or '87 model.

My favorite out of my first 5 bikes was probably my Harley 250 Sprint. In spite of me probably pushing it as much as I rode it, I loved that old bike when I was 15 years old.

Almost 100,000 miles between two RSVs, so you'd think the RSV would be the obvious answer. I've owned Kawasaki's...Spectre 750 and a Concours; I've owned one Honda...a 76 750 Supersport. A couple of different dirt/enduros, Suzuki and Kawasaki. And a couple of other Yamaha street bikes...my FZ1, my 99 RSV, and my current FJR and 06 RSV. The Spectre got me back into riding (and taught me how to rebuilt a bike), the Connie taught me how to tour and how to ride 9/10ths (sometimes 10/10s), the FZ1 was stinky fast, the FJR is a joy, and I can't come up with enough great words about the two RSVs. But my all time favorite bike? A 1972 Suzuki 550 Lemans...that bike taught me how to explore the world the year I graduated from high school!

Curt

1st bike, H2 750, fills all the catagories. Wicked fast, mean, basic looking death rocket. For the dirt, my old Yammi IT400. Like an old mule, takes a couple kicks to get it going but'll take you anywhere you wann go. I must say though, I like the Venture the most. It is capable of fulfilling many different roles and is always fun to ride.

Dan

I can't say which was my favorite. I loved them all for what they were, each different and intended to be used differently. I'll go in order of ownership. Honda trail 50 lots of fun, kawasaki KZ 400 couldn't kill it, Honda hawk 400 manual shift economical, Honda 750/four wow, hold on tight, Nighthawk 650 greased lightning, Yamaha YZ 125 sit on the tank and twist the throttle, Honda vtx 13r beutifal bike, Yamaha V-Star 1100 custom w/ gost flames so nice to ride on twisties, and finally 2007 RSV Blue on Black an easy chair w/ wheels and what a beauty. Carl

My fav bike was a '72 Honda CB500-4. I put a lot of "personalization" into that bike...extended forks, Hooker 4 into 1 headers, raised handlebars, lowered rear shocks, "dressed out" engine, king/queen seat (built by me) and custom black with blue flames paint job (also by me). It was very "unique" and with those Hooker headers it sounded way cool and could blow away a stock CB750.

Haven't had this '06 RSMV long enuf but I have a feeling it will become my fav bike :D

i was just thinking of what bikes i liked the best of the 70 something that i have had .

Ahhh Bill, I thought I was the only one that was jonesing if I didn't have at least a couple of bikes in the stable and always looking for the next deal, I'm at 49 at this time. You are a brother who understands, along with the wife now, very few people do you know. Now for the question. Two bikes that might be at the top of the list but really can't count them are: 83 Venture (just bought in Nov., haven't rode for more than a couple hundered miles before I put it up for the winter) 99 ZX9R (just bought last week).

Dual Purpose: The only one that comes close to this class of bike is a Honda SL125 that I had years ago while stationed in the UP of MI. Thinking back I had a lot of fun with the bike riding all the back road snowmobile trails.

Touring bike: Moto Guzzi California

Cruiser: Yamaha Stratoliner S

Sport bike: Yamaha FZR 1000

Sport touring: 2005 Kawasaki Concours

Standard: Buell XB12STT or Yamaha RD400, It's been too many years to really remember for the RD but it was fun and fast. Would love to ride one again.

Very Honorable Mentions: BMW R60, Yamaha GTS 1000AE, Like I said, I can't count them right now, but I hope the Venture and ZX9 are winners in their areas after I have time to put some miles on them.:fingers-crossed-emo

one other question. what was the one bike you wanted the most but never had? i had to really think on this one. i always wanted an old indian chief to restore. had a chance to buy a basket case when i first got married for $75.00 but did'nt have the money. i really wanted one of them yellow and silver bsa 441 victors back in my motocross days. could'nt afford that either. making up for it now. two other bikes i had that were really awesome back in the old days was my suzuki x6 hustler 250cc, and my kawasaki mach III 500cc. the suzuki would almost break 100 mph with the wind. both like to spend most of there time on one wheel. :)

At this point the Venture would be my favorite of all that I have owned. Number 2 spot would be between the Road Star that I have now and the '76 Sporty that I had in the late '70's. I like the Royal Star's so much I have an ad in the classifieds looking to trade my Road Star for a RSTD or another Venture.

As far as a bike I would like (to at least try one time) but never had... a V8 bike. Probably a Chevy powered Kannon.

My votes are as follows:

Most Fun: 3 different Triumph T120

Fastest: Norton 850 Commando

Coolest: Arial Square Four with left sidecar

Proudest: H-D Duo Glide Police (still own)

Most Expensive: 2000 H-D Ultra Classic

Missed Most: Honda 305 Scrambler

Best Touring: 2002 Royal Star Midnight Venture

Favorite: 1993 Yamaha Venture Royale ( I could not destroy this bike, it finally was "forced" into retirement)

Next (and a VERY close 2nd): 2007 RSMV

Next: 2002 Kawasaki ZZR-1200 ( what a rush to ride)

Next: H-D Ultra Classic

Next: 1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (altho I got my butt kicked by a female on a ZX-600, thus I traded up to the ZZR-1200)

Next: BMW RT1150

Next (and definitely last): Any year Kawasaki KZ-1000 (what a piece of crap bike).

In order of appearance...

1) 2002 Honda Rebel 250

This was my first bike. I bought it brand new, and my dad had to ride it home. I didn't yet have my license, nor had I ever ridden motorcycle before (not counting the passenger seat). Three days later I had my license. It was a good bike, but I outgrew it in no time.

2) 2002 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650

Man do I wish I still had that bike. It always ran like a champ, never had any problems, and was just a blast to ride. Not to mention I had it pretty chromed out. To this day I still think they're one of the finest looking cruisers in their class. The only reason I sold it was because I fell into the trap of wanting a bigger bike, and didn't think I needed two in the stable. Definitely the bike I wish I could have back.

3) 2003 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture 1300

While I did enjoy riding the RSV, it was simply bigger than what I wanted, or was comfortable with. I also think I still had a little bit of the "sportbike-envy" in me. The mechanical problems I had with it also near drove me to insanity a couple times (granted, that's a short trip for me
:hihi:
). But man oh man was it a looker. Still love the looks of the RSV for a big touring bike... can't beat it.

4) 2008 BMW R1200RT 1200

Still fairly new to me, but I absolutely love it. It's enough sport to satisfy my cravings in the twisties, especially when stripped of its trunk and saddlebags, yet I can load it up and travel more comfortably than I ever was on the Venture. Now that I have the hitch installed, I'm just itching to get out there and hit the road this spring/summer.

In order of appearance...

1) 2002 Honda Rebel 250

This was my first bike. I bought it brand new, and my dad had to ride it home. I didn't yet have my license, nor had I ever ridden motorcycle before (not counting the passenger seat). Three days later I had my license. It was a good bike, but I outgrew it in no time.

2) 2002 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 650

Man do I wish I still had that bike. It always ran like a champ, never had any problems, and was just a blast to ride. Not to mention I had it pretty chromed out. To this day I still think they're one of the finest looking cruisers in their class. The only reason I sold it was because I fell into the trap of wanting a bigger bike, and didn't think I needed two in the stable. Definitely the bike I wish I could have back.

3) 2003 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture 1300

While I did enjoy riding the RSV, it was simply bigger than what I wanted, or was comfortable with. I also think I still had a little bit of the "sportbike-envy" in me. The mechanical problems I had with it also near drove me to insanity a couple times (granted, that's a short trip for me
:hihi:
). But man oh man was it a looker. Still love the looks of the RSV for a big touring bike... can't beat it.

4) 2008 BMW R1200RT 1200

Still fairly new to me, but I absolutely love it. It's enough sport to satisfy my cravings in the twisties, especially when stripped of its trunk and saddlebags, yet I can load it up and travel more comfortably than I ever was on the Venture. Now that I have the hitch installed, I'm just itching to get out there and hit the road this spring/summer.

i forgot about my v-star 1100. your 650 reminded me. it is in my avatar. i wish i had it back. it was a great bike. almost, if not equal to my 1300 vstar. :clap2::2133:

If I could only have one bike, it would be a 1991+ Honda Nighthawk 750 (I have a 92)

As for my favorite bikes that I have ridden:

Suzuki Dr400

RSV

First Gen Venture

TW200

Honda 200X (3 Wheeler)

1989 Kawasaki KDX200

2007 Yamaha R1

2004 Harley Heritage Softail Classic

Honestly, I have never ridden a bike I did not like, but those 8 are exceptionally nice bikes for what they do.

If I could only have one bike, it would be a 1991+ Honda Nighthawk 750 (I have a 92)

As for my favorite bikes that I have ridden:

Suzuki Dr400

RSV

First Gen Venture

TW200

Honda 200X (3 Wheeler)

1989 Kawasaki KDX200

2007 Yamaha R1

2004 Harley Heritage Softail Classic

Honestly, I have never ridden a bike I did not like, but those 8 are exceptionally nice bikes for what they do.

i agree. i have never met a bike that i did'nt like. i have owned and ridden some real crap but i loved every minute of it. :2133:

My first bike was an old Rd 350 that did it all. My all time favorite though is my Honda V65 Sabre. Its a cruiser below 5000 rpm and a fast as stink sportbike over that. Smooth and strong its never failed me unless a battery has gone bad or something. It also makes a decent sport touring bike getting 200 miles to a tank of gas.

Next after that was my ex wife's Honda Nighthawk S . Most nimble do it all bike ever, Not much of a top end but that bike was so light and effortless to ride that with a full face helmet on you couldn't even see it beneath you. Felt like you were flying down the road.

The strongest bike I've owned is my XS11. Even with a full fairing and a sidecar attached that thing excelerates like a freight train. Incredible torque.

And finally to answer your last question Bill what was the bike that I always wanted ? that's the Venture Royale I currently own. I Loved my Sabre but when the Royale came out it was THE touring bike I wanted to own. I told myself over and over when I get a touring bike its going to be a Venture Royale. Now I have one. Oh I would like a Valkeryie Interstate but i'll wait a few years for that. I'm still young I'm only 55.

PS. Don't think I've ever had a BAD bike!

Well, I guess if I had to choose a "worst" bike, it would have to be the RSV. I hate to say that, because the RSV is just a great bike, just not for me. It simply didn't end up fitting the bill for what I wanted out of a bike. That, and the previous owner/mechanic/whatever didn't do much of anything well, and I didn't learn that until it was too late. I did have it running great when I finally got rid of it, but at that point I knew I wanted something a bit smaller.

So all in all, I guess I have to give it the "worst" label simply because it was the only one I ever had any problems with, and it didn't fit my wants & needs at the time.