IGNORED

Help, I need Riding Tips!

douglaskinney_phd

I also reccomend, finding some nice straight, back roads, with no traffic, and practice stopping from fairly high speeds.

Your new bike is HEAVY !! You need to practice doing maximum brakeing stops.

Do it progressivly from low speeds, working up to higher speeds. If you can't do this on a straight, level, unused road, you don't want to have to do it on a FreeWay, with heavy traffic. Again, practice makes perfect !!

I recently, two days ago, moved up from a Suzuki GZ250 to an 1986 Venture. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to adjust to the bigger bike. Once I get going on the highway I am fine, but the starting up, stop and go traffic and trying to turn around on a two lane is a bit of a challenge. I am 5' 10",156 and small frame. Too much bike maybe or are there some tricks I am going to have to learn. Trying to keep from falling on my.......:8:

Sounds like me :D except I got 3/4 inch on ya! LOL

N-E-Wayz, I had the same issues when I got my '85 several years ago... took me a while to get used to it...especially at slow speeds, slow turns, uneven and/or angled surfaces at slow speed...basically anything at slow speed was a challenge...but...I perservered because I LOVED THAT BIKE...and eventually I became ONE with it.

Keep at it and good luck!

Follow the advice already given. It can be done I'm about 5' 8" and my 87 VR was the first bike I had riden for 36 years after a 150mph combined impact head-on car/motorcycle collision. Now I ride every day and am on my way out the door to ride with Blackjack to meet Wild hair39 and Eck for lunch as they ride through Atlanta.

Watch the video, Do the excercises in a parking lot, Practice untill it becomes second nature. Then go to some M&E's

Parking lot practise is what you need. Big tip.....look where you want to go...do not look down.....ever...cause you will fall over!

Get the Ride Like a Pro video for great tips.

The first gen venture handle slow speed better than the second gens do.

Take it to the lot every chance you get and practise.

Happy riding...you can do it!

Sarges... I DISAGREE ... the very first thing I noticed when I got my '06 was how much EASIER it was to handle at slow speeds...even riding two up...easier than my '87 or my '85. I see a lot of talk in here about slow speed handling issues on these 2nd gens, putting on leveling links or narrower front tires, etc to make them better... you guys must all have a different bike than I do LOL.

Now I have noticed that the '06 is a bit harder to PUSH around than the '87 is ... maybe that's what ya'll are referrin to? ... :rotf:

:witch_brew: :witch_brew:

While you may have been riding for a while, it is always helpful to get reminded of the techniques. Go take a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class. This is the best $200 you can spend.

http://www.amtc1.com/

This is in Ft. Smith. They have classes starting today and next weekend.

Then later in the year take the advanced riding class. Then practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to the family.

RR

Get Ride Like a Pro V DVD ASAP!!!!

View the video several times!!!!

Practice what is shown in the RLAP DVD

Attend a MSF Rider safety course ASAP, then annually take the course again!!!!!

LEAN the bike in turns, this is especially important at low speeds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER lower your bike. Get the drivers seat modified to make it NARROWER, and shorter.

If you lower your bike, you will be decreasing the minimum turning radius, and than might get you in a LOT of trouble on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might have forgotten to mention it but PLEASE practice what is shown in the RLAP DVD!!!!!!!! This will keep you alive!!!!

Also read Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (second edition with the extra stuff on CD) by David L. Hough

I had riden for 36 years after a 150mph combined impact head-on car/motorcycle collision.

Jeez 150 mph impact and your still walking the face of the earth with all your limbs and head? Someone watching over you. Nothing more exciting then getting launched like a rocket not by choice. Wow.

you CAN do that one. There are a couple of intersections in Grand Rapids michigan that you are aimed up a 20% grade hill that is incredibly hard to stop on and then get going but you can do it.

The ones I hate are intersections when you make your turn it's a sharp uphill climb into the road. you are leaning and going up a hill. Plus around here they think throwing tar and gravel on a paved road is "fixing it" so you have loose gravel over tar all over the city.

Uhhh, no, Tim, what I meant is do not stop SIDEWAYS on an incline like I did last summer at the Biltmore. Traffic stoped abruptly and the uphill grade did a 90 degree turn while going uphill. I unfortunately was sideways on the incline and had a long way to put my foot down to the ground. The bike leaned past the point of no return long before my toe touched pavement. We were both thrown off and the bike slid sideways down the hill...

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I would have never thought of most of this ideas. The parking lot was my only thought. Right now I am a little, (O.K. REALLY) afraid of this beast. I am going to have to get an owners manual, there are some things on the bike I don't know how to work or even if they are working. One being the Air Ride System. The screen show the PSI to be at Zero? But that topic needs to be on another post I am sure. I live to ride, now if I can just ride and live. Great forum and a really great bunch of people. :bowdown: Much more helpful and understanding than my GZ250 forum. I will be back often.

don't let the size of your bike scare you, i'm 6'3" and 230# and i thought i bought to big of a bike. i went to this from a kz550 so i understand your concerns, but don't let that stop you from enjoying that great bike. if you practice alot you will get very comfortable with it. enjoy the ride!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I would have never thought of most of this ideas. The parking lot was my only thought. Right now I am a little, (O.K. REALLY) afraid of this beast. I am going to have to get an owners manual, there are some things on the bike I don't know how to work or even if they are working. One being the Air Ride System. The screen show the PSI to be at Zero? But that topic needs to be on another post I am sure. I live to ride, now if I can just ride and live. Great forum and a really great bunch of people. :bowdown: Much more helpful and understanding than my GZ250 forum. I will be back often.

Here is a link to the service manual available here in the forum.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3384

Brian

When you go to put that sucker up on the center stand to check the CLASS, remember: Stomp! Try to shove that rod that sticks out the side of the center stand at least a foot into the ground. Use your hands for balance, not lift. Ok, maybe a little on the passenger hand rail (up and back), but the important part is the stomp.

Don't feel alone. I am also in constant search of riding tips, because I will continue to learn riding and reminding myself as long as I continue to ride. As mentioned several time, practice is your key to success. You will build confidence and less fear as your skills develop over time. Ride as much as you can and always be on top mental condition. With your height, you should have a big advantage than me ... only standing at 5'5", but the Venture does not stop me from riding. Good Luck and be safe out there and do not stop riding. Regards.

I am a bit of a novice, been riding for under a year on my XS1100.

I spent a huge amount of time, probably 8 hours the first weekend in the church parking lot on a Saturday. Doing circles and figure eights until I could turn the bike inside a parking stall that is marked out. At first it is intimidating to do, but after a while, you realize that staying very slow and trying to balance that thing around a tight u turn is very hard, and if you carry just a few mph more speed and let it lean a bit, it comes right around. I can do turns at full steering deflection, which requires power modulation rather than steering, thats where the friction zone comes into play.

I am not sure what the weight difference on the XS and venture are, but I can make my 900lb (driver included) XS dance. When I park, I find a parking spot with two open and do a u turn in them and then back the bike to the curb (if there is one).

I haven't had much of a chance to run the Venture yet, but the first impression I got when I was riding it, was "Wow, this thing steers light and handles well". Like I said, I have only the XS11 to compare to.

One thing I practice, that I rarely ever hear anyone talking about, is to work through scenarios in my mind before they ever happen. When I am driving my cage to work, and I see a scoot get in a bad situation, I think through it as if it were me, and how I would react. Even watching videos of bikes going over helps, if you focus on a solution, before it happens to you. This kind of "Pre programs" your brain. It can save you critical half seconds of decision time, or even worse, freezing up in fear. This method really helped me when I started riding, it made my practice more productive, and has saved my butt a few times. So when your laying in bed at night and can't sleep, start visualizing your self, on your bike, making perfect, tight turns. Imagine getting into a bad place, where the bike is going to fall, and then get out of it.

It sounds like mythical snake oil, but it works. It has helped me with everything form SATs in high school, to wrestling, driving, riding, and even dating. I can tell you, it isn't that great at helping me loose weight though.....:headache:

• 4 months later...

I'm 5'8" and when I first got mine it was a combination of the weight, height, and that big fairing blocking the view. Like most have said its all about practice, I still use the old saying Be Prepared and think ahead. Now I am very comfortable on mine, well maybe not on stones cause its hard to get my feet all the way on the ground. Its always better to take your time than to be laying under that beast yelling for someone to get this thing off me!!!!!:crackup: You'll be fine

I went trough the Navy's wersion of MSF course in the early 80's we did alot I mean a alot of slow (really slow) riding at that time I had an old CB500 (poor sailor) so at that time it didn't make much sense but the training I got there has helped when I bought a 840 lbs motorcycle