IGNORED

oil filter?

I did some checking on here and found a cross over to another oil filter that I picked up at pep boys, since its a car filter and not a bike so to speek does it matter? I seen on a web site they have a adapter to run the regular filters so they seal does anyone use these or does it matter? I am running what I bought at pep boys and so far its working but I dont want to have a issue and not know it til its to late. Thanks

This is the beauty spin on oil filters many can be found to fit. The next time you may want to go to Wal-Mart and your looking for the SUPER TECH OIL filters and the part number is ST7317 and the super tech filters are made by Champion Filter Company and they are highly rated

I would not run an automotive filter on a bike that is still in warranty. If I had an engine still in warranty, I would only run the Yamaha filter and a motorcycle oil, probably that Yamaha branded crap just to keep the service dept happy.

I personally run a Purolater PureOne PL14610 from Advance Auto on my bike and Rotella T 15W40 diesel oil. You'll be hard pressed to find a better oil and filter combo.

My bike is not in warranty so I don't have to worry about fighting with a service department when the engine decides to go south.

Yamaha's filters are second only to Fram in crappiness. No way I'd run either one of these. Cut one apart and look for yourself.

There are no adapters needed for RSVs. The adapter you saw is probably for a 1st gen.

Check here for a long list of filters that will fit. Our bike is in group five down at the bottom.

I would not run an automotive filter on a bike that is still in warranty. If I had an engine still in warranty, I would only run the Yamaha filter and a motorcycle oil, probably that Yamaha branded crap just to keep the service dept happy.

I personally run a Purolater PureOne PL14610 from Advance Auto on my bike and Rotella T 15W40 diesel oil. You'll be hard pressed to find a better oil and filter combo.

My bike is not in warranty so I don't have to worry about fighting with a service department when the engine decides to go south.

flb 78,

Have you noticed a drop in your gas mileage using the Rotella oil? A couple of my Harley friends are telling me not to use the Rotella because it killed the mileage on their bikes until the oil sarting breaking down. they said they went from 38-40 mpg to lucky to get 32mpg after a frh oil change with Rotella.

I did just get back from advance auto with my PL14610 oil filter. Now i am trying to decide what oil to use. It is betwen Mobile 1 and Rotella right now. AMSOIL is just too expensive.

Dang it Pegscraper....you should precede that with "In My Opinion". :) There are a LOT of us here who would use nothing BUT synthetic. I have up on the dino oils long ago when I could tell my the hard shifting, engine noise, etc. that they broke down in the Texas heat after about 500 miles. Nothing but synthetic for me thank you.

Yes it is in the blue bottle and its syn witch is what I wanted, I did ride it for about ten min after I changed it and did notice that it is alittle quieter and seems like it freed it up alittle. It only has 4200miles on her so shes still breaking in alittle but the more I ride it I do notice the better it wants to run. I know everyone has there opinion on oil and everything else and alot of people here have tried most of them thats why I asked to get first hand knowledge so to speek. Thanks everyone for you info. Oh is the 5w 40 going to be ok?

Blow by gases will contaminate the oil at the same rate and the oil still needs to be changed out at the same interval. Why spend twice as much for the oil?

I tried the 5W40 synthetic once. Suddenly my clutch started chirping. Prior to that I never knew what everyone was talking about. Even the wife noticed it and asked me what I had done to the bike now to make the thing scream like that. I tried reasoning with the bike, and explained to it all the reasons why synthetic was better for it, about how it would run smoother and live longer. But it wouldn't listen. It just kept screaming back at me until I went back to regular oil. But sure, it's just my opinion. To each his own.

There is a guy in our town who sells some brand of synthetic oil, I forget which one. He saw me in the gas station once and handed me a card and struck up a conversation wanting to promote his oil. He claimed that he had done some tests with engine temperatures and found that air cooled engines ran a lot cooler with synthetic oil. I told him my engine was water cooled, and his first response was a double take on my engine. His second response was admitting that I had no need for his oil and didn't need to spend the money on it. But as always, YMMV. :)

There is a LOT more too it than simply blow back gases. We've pretty much discussed it all before though. To each his or her own. I'm simply saying that there is more than one school of thought on the issue and folks should do their own research. As for the chirp, whine, etc...there have been reports here exactly the opposite of your experience so I guess you and I can agree on your last statement. YMMV. :)

Mine was just starting to get the wine or chirp everyone was talking about, it does or did it around 45 to 50 then would go away. I hope its gone or I will have to get load pipes (worken on that anyway) or keep the radio up. Thanks again everyone for alll your info.:thumbsup:

3 Quarts. You will likely find it full at somewhere around 3.5. Go no higher than 1/2 way in the site glass. I usually put in 3 quarts. I then start the bike and let it run for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then shut it off, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and finish filling to half way in the glass.

WaterBug, thats cuz your rpm's went up.. the whine will

go aways when they go up.. try it next time.

Nothing to do with oil. I have tried ALL of them.

nothing has worked. even Lucus mixed.

Just sometimes when any of the Oils I have tried are very fresh

it will not be so bad until after about 100 miles or so.

I run in 4th gear most of the time anymore. (for higher rpm)

Jeff

I keep telling you guys..... a good set of custom pipes and there is no whine. :Venture:

Pure 1 and Rotella T Syn for me. Change both every 5k. So far so good.:thumbsup:

This is my plan to the very tee. Getting loud pipes nd have now settled on Rotella T Syn. Already had the pure 1 filter.

My oil level is about 3/4 of the way up the site glass and I put most of the oil in the gal jug in it but I also put a bigger filter on, do I need to let some of the oil out? what happens if I did or do put alittle too much in it? Thanks

That is a bit more than I like in mine but I don't know that it will cause you any problems. What happens if they are overfilled is that the engine ends up blowing oil out the vent tubes and it will end up in your air filters.

I'm Using synthetic Amsoil motorcycle brand oil in my bikes only,cost about $6.50 /qt, as well Amsoil MC Oil Filter. I think only difference between filters is anti drain back valve inside filter, so when you shut engine some oil is still left in upper part of engine. thats critical in cold starts. As well in hot weather stop, and go traffic, synthetic oil has higher brake down point then dino.