Lot's of threads here about tires. Do a search for tires and you'll be able to read for hours. Short answer though, most...but not everybody....here will recommend the Avon Venom. In my opinion, very close second would be the Michelin Commander. Dunlop Elite 3 also getting good reports but just not that many have tried it yet.

I run Avons and to ME its the best as far as smoothness and I have 14000 on mine now and looks good,Some run a car tire but I personally will stick with my Avons. Lots of write ups if you do a search...METZLER is in my opinion the worst tire for these bikes,we have had numerous Metz tires start throwing rubber or blow... Good Luck,Tom

Elites or Avons...not Metzlers is the popular answer you will get. It seems the metz on the venture is not a good thing, perhaps the bike is too heavy for it.

I had a metz on my midnight and didnt care for it at all. It howled in the corners and I was constantly worried about it coming apart.

I now have Avons and this is the second bike with those. I really like em alot. Personal preference of course.

Southwest moto is one of the best places to get the tire and they support the site as well.

Have been great for me. so far so good -Excellent!

Darn , and I will never be using a rear motorcycle tire any more.

Only got 4K on mine and have to get rid of it now.

Going with 15x185/165 Michelin All Season Radials Now

on the back of my new trike! :happy34: prolly be able to get

two of those for the price of a rear motorcycle tire now! hehe.

But like FreeBird says, Your gunna here a LOT about tires

and what is best,, this should turn into about a 3 page thread.

Look down at the bottom of this page and you will see more links

to Tires. Should give you a few hours of reading enjoyment.!

Jeff

Thanks for the replies on my rear tire question. I know one to stay away from for sure. I have Michelins now with almost 19,000 miles on them. It may be hard to believe but I bought the bike, a 2004 RSV Midnight from the original owner and it had 7,700 miles on it and he said they were the original tires. I get around 60-70K miles on my car tires so I don't think 19K is unreasonable for a bike tire. I may get Mich's again or maybe try the Avons since there is alot of good things being said in their favor.

Thanks again for the information. You guys are all great.

Thanks for the replies on my rear tire question. I know one to stay away from for sure. I have Michelins now with almost 19,000 miles on them. It may be hard to believe but I bought the bike, a 2004 RSV Midnight from the original owner and it had 7,700 miles on it and he said they were the original tires. I get around 60-70K miles on my car tires so I don't think 19K is unreasonable for a bike tire. I may get Mich's again or maybe try the Avons since there is alot of good things being said in their favor.

Thanks again for the information. You guys are all great.

Hal,

I have not heard of the Michelins being a factory tire. Bridgestones and Dunlops were shipped from the factory from what I have heard.

Gary

I have run pretty must all the major brands on the G2's and I like the Avon Venoms best followed closely by the Michelin Commanders. I do not like Dunlops, some folks swear by them, but I swear at them. They suck in the rain and track a tar snake like nobody's business. You will get LOTS of responces here, it all depends on what your looking for and how you ride.

How does the Avon Venoms hold in the corners and how many miles do you get out of them. My 08 RSV has the Dunlops from the factory. It only has 175 miles on it now do to the weather.How many miles can I expect out the stock tires. How many mile can expect out of the Avon or Michelin.

Edited by OutlawRider

They handle superb in the corners and Yes even in wet weather..I think we have about 3 members that dont like them,said they felt slick in the corners but I and MANY others do not seem to have that problem. I have 14000 miles on mine now and they look good but I may replace soon as I feel that is pushing it..I think mileage varies on the aggressiveness one rides..I am fairly conservative unless by myself but most of the time I am 2up riding..My opinion stay with the STOCK sizes.

what you will buy. There are numerous threads on this subject. Do a search or look at the links below this thread. You should make an informed decision on what to buy (which you are doing now). Buy some tires and form your own opinion.

I ran two sets of Metzlers with no problems. I like them. Because of what I've read about other's experience with Metzlers, I decided to run the Venoms this time. So far The Avons are great. I will most likely buy Dunlops next time. Heck, I may even try Pirellis some time. I know the issues some have had with them, but I like to try things for myself.

Good luck. :missingtooth:

I have a 2004 RSV Midnight and am replacing the rear tire soon. What is the best tire I can buy for this bike? My wife of 42 years rides with me and I want the best tire available.

I've got Metzlers on mine now, but will be putting a ct on when it is worn out.

I know I am going to need tires soon so the dealer is supposed to have a 1/2 off sale. Here is what they quoted me for D404

$182 - tires (front and rear)

$120 - install

$24 - 8% sales tax

$10 - misc shop fees (just guessing)

$336 - total.

Does that sound like a good price? Especially on installation, that seems high to me.

I didn't have them price Elite 3 as they had their catalog on the counter. I looked at the Elite 3, but the sizes didn't seem to match up.

In my opinion, the price on the tires isn't bad at all but the installation is nuts. I use a local Honda dealer here to mount my tires. I order them online and they install them for me (I take the wheels in) for $25.00 each. If you buy the tires from them, they install for free.

I love my Avon Venoms! As far as wet roads these things are the best I've ridden on. The only time they ever broke loose was during an experienced rider class last summer. It rained all afternoon at the track and the last test was a timed run through series of curves and had to hold a speed of 25 mph through the last left hand sweeper. A couple of other bikes went down. My rear broke loose and drifted out and I backed off the throttle and it hooked right back up. Made my time and speed and discovered I don't like the taste of elastic waistbands. LOL! Had a lot of the other riders asking me what kind of tires I had. Now I'm used to the bike ...........I got no chicken strips left. They stick!

In my opinion, the price on the tires isn't bad at all but the installation is nuts. I use a local Honda dealer here to mount my tires. I order them online and they install them for me (I take the wheels in) for $25.00 each. If you buy the tires from them, they install for free.

You dealer prices look ok to me too except for mounting.

My dealer charges $65.00 ea. to mount even if you buy the tires from him and bring him the rims. I'm afraid to ask what he charges on the bike.

Now I use an independant bike shop for tires. His tire prices are better than the dealer but only charges $20.00 off the bike for install & balance.

Called the dealer back.

Elite III

$103 - front

$126 - rear

Avon Venom

$168 - front

$172 - rear

$20/tire install if I bring in the wheel myself. Is there any danger of misaligning the wheel if I take of and reinstall myself? Not sure if I have the tools to do this either.

Like I mentioned before the dealer has a 1/2 off Dunlop sale. Everything I have seen, the prices are cheaper than anyone else that I have found so far but doesn't seem to be 1/2 off though. Could be wrong.

I will check around more on the internet to see if I can find cheaper prices, but anyone have leads?

Edited by Sideoftheroad

I have seen a write-up with pics on this forum about taking off the rear wheel. Looks pretty straightforward. I am not so sure about the front wheel though. Also, I am not so confident cranking the wrench to loosen and tighten the wheel nuts for dismount and installation. I am afraid that the bike might move even if it is sitting on top of my Carbon One bike jack adapter.

BTW, is the bike still stable if I remove one tire only (front or rear)?