IGNORED

New Member non owner want input

1trackmind

Hi all

I just joined the Venture Riders for the main reason of investigating the second generation Venture. Having owned an 83 and 87 first generation and putting 100,000 miles on each I can say I did like them alot.

Most resent ride was an 01 Goldwing 1800 (totaled this past summer)a and a 1500 wing I put 200,000 miles on bought new in 96 which now belongs to my son in law but Istill ride when I feel the need.

Idecided to look into the possible purchase of a USED second generation Venture but would like to hear from present owners any concerns or issues I should be aware of in my search.

I ride two up about 30% of the time so any co rider commkents welcome also.

I thank you in advance and hope to gain some insight into what apears to be a pretty darn good ride.

Thanks TJ and to all that might reply I just thought I'd add that I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam. How will I fit these bikes. First generation were very comfortable for me but knee bend was only slightly tight.

Rich

Edited by 1trackmind

as a co-rider......

this is the most comfy bike ive ever been on.......

I am tall , as is my hubby.....neither of us are liteweights either.......:innocent:

we both have much more room and comfort riding two up on the venture. we have ridden a goldwing and a kaw ( which I will never set my hiney on again!!:rotf:)

We changed our stock seats to the pillow tops and as for me i can ride forever now.

Welcome 1trackmind! You will get a lot of feedback on this one. Here's my two cents...My wife calls our '07 her La-Z-Boy on wheels. She loves the comfort of the passenger seat. We ride two up a lot and it doesn't bother me at all. You will hear comments about the infamous whine. Some hated it enough to get rid of the bike. Others tolerate it (that's me). Others say "what whine?" You have a lot of miles on you! The weight shouldn't bother you but it is the 800 pound gorilla. It took some getting used to at very low speeds. Doesn't bother us now. We have had 0 mechanical problems. All I have done is swap out the OEM Bridgestones for Avon's. Very worthwhile upgrade but that will also start a lot of discussion. We love our RSV.

Welcome aboard and whatever you settle on, you need to post a pic!

I recently bought my 07 and I love it. I had a 81 wing prior to this bike. I looked at the RSV for three years before my wife told me to stop looking and just buy it. I am 6'3" and this is the most spacious bike of this style I found. Allot of passenger room also. This sight is awesome just start going through the 2nd gen tec talk forums and you will find more info then you can digest. Just one caution this sight can be addicting and may cause jealousy from your spouse.:smile5:

Welcome to the VR community!

I own/ride a 2006 Midnight Venture. The best looking color of all the Ventures IMHO. :D

As you know every bike has its pro's and con's . The Venture tops them all for power and comfort for both rider and passenger. The maintenance for this bike is no more or less than what a reasonable person would do for any bike.....unless you enjoy sitting on the roadside waiting for a trailer to come get you. ;)

Probably the biggest issues I have with the bike is the out-dated cassette player; being a bit top heavy; and low speed handling . All of these can be overcome,as I have done, as you will find out in reading the info posted here by long time experienced Venture riders.

Good luck with whatever bike you choose.

Boomer........who loves long days in the Venture saddle.

i had an 03 electra glide standard with passenger and rider backrests for 4 yrs...i now have an 07 venture....my girlfriend really likes the seating on the venture more than the harley...so do i ...i even had the harley seat re-done and the yamaha is a lot better........yamaha has more power and standard equip. and is thousands less than a harley.....it is top heavy...mine does whine......there are more small differences but not enough to send me back to harley.........biggest thing is the 5 yr. unlimited mileage warranty.....my harley motor went at 35,000...that's why i'm on a yamaha.....( i'm not harly bashing, i liked mine )....the yamaha offers more overall.....

I just bought an '06 RSMV last Nov ... haven't had much riding time yet due to the cold and snow but from what riding I did do, I am sure looking forward to nice weather and long days in the saddle. Mine has a bit of a whine but I'm not finding it to be much of a bother. I've added the Road King mufflers just last week...don't even know what they sound like on a ride yet LOL but they sure sound good sitting still.

I've been riding Ventures (an '85 & '87) for quite a few years...they are amazing bikes and the engines sure can take a beating so you can't lose with a proven design.

Buy one... you won't be sorry.

You mentioned the cramped feeling on the 1st gen, you wont have that with the G2. The engine is bulletproof and there are many G2's riding around with over 100K on them. My wife loves the comfort of the bike and gets mad when she can ride with me. I ride mine to work everyday i can and when we go on vacation, it's on the bike. I'll put over 20K on the bike ina year and my wife is over 10K with me. Definitely a bike you wont regret getting... I have had 3 of each gen.

Just purchased a 2005 at the end of last summer. I can not tell you how pleased I am with this RSV even in the short time I have had it. My girl friend could not ride my Honda anymore as it hurt her in the back-side but since the first day on this RSV she has never said stop! Had problems doing 100 miles before and now does 400+ with NO complaints now!

P.S. I find it fun to "play" with ,,,, :stirthepot: well "other" bikes now, as I can keep up with them and not even give it full throttle! When we stop they ask me "what the hell I got in it for an engine"?:big-grin-emoticon: I just tell them it's just a 77 cubic inch and they just can't believe it! :whistling: Must have forgot to tell them I got 4 cylinders too?:scratchchin: Oh well.:banana:

Edited by bryan52577

75,000 miles on a 99 RSV, and just under 20,000 on our 06 RSV...think we're hooked! I do like some of the bells and whistles on other brands (HD, Honda, Victory, BMW) better than what's offered on the RSV, but when it all comes together the RSV is still the best of the best of the bunch (and after significant test rides on the others, still the best overall ride!).

Curt

I bought an '06 new in December of '05. I've put about 24,000 on it and have had zero problems. Sorry I can't help with the height question, but from what I've heard you will be more than comfortable. I love my bike.

By the way "halfwitt" go CARDINALS.

Dennis

Have an 05..love it..engine is as sound as they come..a little top heavy, but you'll get used to it as well as being a little awkward at slow manuvers..again after riding it for a while, you won't even notice it..just takes a while to get used to , thats all...the most comfortable scoot I have ever owned...most riding done two up..when I bought it my wife slapped me in the head and wanted to know I didn't buy this bike sooner..you cant go wrong owning one of these....:group cheers:

Welcome to VR! We have a great bunch of folks here...and its rated PG. I never worry about what I might be confronted with.

Anyway, I've been on by my 06 for 3 years. I have had a 1200 and 1500 GW and while I liked them, I've never go back. For long trips, these are the cat's meow! You'd love it!:)

Richard,

After owning 5 1st gens, I finally broke down and bought a 2001 RSV after I totaled my 93 in Arkansas. At first I hated the bike because it handled like a pig in the corners. But after a couple of modifications (of which some have mentioned) it handles as good as our 1st gens. However, it is solid at ANY speed which is not something you could say about your 87 :smile5: Compared to the 1st gens, the RSV has a frame from Hell.

And I thought my wife would not like the back seat, but she likes it even better. Now as far as your legs go, you will have much more room to stretch out on the floor boards and if you can find a toe shifter it will give you more room to slide your feet back to the point that you can get them under if you like. And it still has the same heart and sole of your 87, it's just a different ride.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks to all that replied. You have given me some food for thought.

I will deffinitly get on one to at least check out the riding position

before making a decision. I know they feel different on the dealer floor for 5 minutes than on a day long ride but will give some idea to leg/arm position relitive to my Wings.

Thanks again and will keep checking back for any other input so if you forgot something let 'er rip or send a personal message or e mail.

Rich

Being the first "dresser" I have owned, I cannot compare it to others, but...

This bike has plenty of power and rides very smooth. Yes it is top heavy with a weight of nearly 900 lbs with full fuel. A little squirrelly at slow speed turns, but by lowering front/raising rear or putting on a narrower front tire, that gets better.

I cannot imagine that you would have trouble with this bike after having a GW.

I am 6' with 36 inseam. I get a little cramped after a while, but with the highway pegs, I can stretch out to my legs' content.

And if yo have a large collection of cassette tapes, this is the bike for you. :rotfl:

I thought I wanted an Ultra Glide, having ridden my in-laws, but for what the RSV offers and 5 yr warranty, I could not justify spending $6000 or more extra for the HOG.