IGNORED

VMAX Rear for RSV ordered

Jim,

I just noticed your post. On your 90 Venture, you will not like the V-Max rear end. With it being a lower geared ring it will really have you at a higher rpm if you like to run 80mph. You will loose about 500 rpm and you will feel like you are running in 4th gear with the Venture final drive. The reason I know is that I ran one one my 91 when I hooked up my sidecar, where it helped alot with lower speed manuevers. Then when I took the sidecar off, I'd slip the Venture final drive back in.

The reason it's a good idea on the RS Ventures is because the tranny on these bikes has been geared a bit taller in every gear than your 1st gen. With this final drive change, it puts their gearing just about where it was with the 1st gen Ventures. I don't think I would be a 1st gen wanting to jump a 2nd gen with this change, it might surprise you.

Rick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don,

I've got a question on this gear swap that Furbur does. Does he use both a new ring gear and pinion? The reason I ask is that if you look at the Yamaha parts fiche, you will not see a part number on either of these 2 gears. There are part numbers on every other piece but not these. So where is he getting his gears?

Curious minds need to know,

Rick

Besides, the only other transmission ratios available would be those from a 1st gen, where 1st gear is about the same, but high gear is quite a bit lower, and then you'd buy yourself into a 2nd gear slipping problem besides.

That is only true if you use an 83 -84 transmission. I believe that the second gear problem was resolved with the 85 Venture. So, if the first gen transmission would be a better fix, and I am no gear-head, then, I would say go for it but using an 86 - 93 transmission. The thing I love about the first gens is that you can lug them all day long and don't need to be constantly down shifting to keep the rpms up as you do in the second gens. That is what I found both annoying and disappointing about the second gen when I demo-rode them a few years back.

I gotta question. Are the 2ndGen and 1stGen finals the same, or does the 2nd have a few more teeth? The reason I'm asking is that if it is taller then putting a 2nd into a 1stGen might be something to think about. I always feel like shifting into 6th when running at highway speeds.

I gotta question. Are the 2ndGen and 1stGen finals the same, or does the 2nd have a few more teeth? The reason I'm asking is that if it is taller then putting a 2nd into a 1stGen might be something to think about. I always feel like shifting into 6th when running at highway speeds.

Hi,

final Drive Ratio is all the same on all the Ventures, from '83 to 2007. It's 9/33 Ratio. Vmax, FJR has a 10/33 Ratio. There are different Casing, depending on Shock Bolt or not and Speedo-mounting Hole or not.

Only Thing what you could do, is looking for a rear tire, which has a bigger Circumference. This would reduce the RpM on a given Speed. I don't know if there is any fitting Tire, which would fit to the Wheel also.

On the Vmax, we allways look for more performant and radial Tires, these are only 17" Rims, these Tires, which one can use are mostly 180/55R17 or 190/50R17 ahve a smaller Circumference than the Stock Tire 150/90R15. So the RpM rises on a given Speed. This can be cured with a Venture final Drive.

My Expirences are, keep your 1Gen Design and do not change anything.

If i had the Time and Parts, i would fit a complete '93 1Gen Tranny in my Vmax Engine. Or a least the 5th gear of 2Gen and go back to Vmax final Drive. The 1Gen's Tranny is imho the best Option because the Gears are spreaded at best. The Vmax Tranny is short on 1st to 3rd Gear, 4th is ok and 5th is a bit too short either.

On my '93 Venture, i would give a Vmax rear Drive a try, because i allways ride with my Lady on the Backseat, not so fast and way more cruising Style than when riding alone.

Well I read almost all the 82 posts here and I too am very interested in this modification.

With the trailer and 2 up the weight was enough to keep me down shifting at anything under 65 mph.

If I am pulling hills up and down I found myself shifting constantly and would wind up in 3rd or even 2nd.

So I am looking foreword to your assessment FREEBIRD after your DRAGON trip...................................................Ron

Where does he get the gears? He swaps good used ones from a V Max into the Venture housing, and vice versa. The V Max is geared so low in the transmission (virtually the same as the 1st gen Ventures) that they like to install the 2nd gen Venture rear gears to lower their rpms a bit.

Ok Squeeze and Pegscraper,

If I understand you correctly, the V-Max riders are swaping out their final drives for the 1st gen (or 2nd gen) Venture final drives (or chain drive conversions) of which Furbur is picking up for conversions for the 2nd gen RS Ventures? Sounds like a balance of trade situation.

Now even though I had noticed that the FJR1300 looked like it was using the Venture final drive, is it geared the same as the Venture or the V-Max?

Rick

Ok Squeeze and Pegscraper,

If I understand you correctly, the V-Max riders are swaping out their final drives for the 1st gen (or 2nd gen) Venture final drives (or chain drive conversions) of which Furbur is picking up for conversions for the 2nd gen RS Ventures? Sounds like a balance of trade situation.

Now even though I had noticed that the FJR1300 looked like it was using the Venture final drive, is it geared the same as the Venture or the V-Max?

Rick

Hi Rick,

the Gears from the FJR are the same as Vmax, Ratio 10/33. On a FJR Casing, there is no Hole for the lower Shockbolt(Vmax has Stereo Shocks) and no Hole for the Speedo Pickup(2Gen Venture). The FJR has the Speedo Pickup mounted somewhere on the Outlet of the Transmisson.

And yes, some Vmax Riders convert to Venture final Drives, because after changing the Wheels from Stock to 17 Inch Rims, the Revs go up by 500 RpM in 5th Gear. I personally ride the Venture Drive with FJR1300 Rims on my Max and finally, i do like the lower Revs in 5th Gear, but dislike the Loss of Accelaration in the other 4 Gears.

I don't know what John Furbur does to the final Drives. It seems to be obvious, but i never would say that until i'm sure of his Actions. But if so, there is some Work to do, one needs a 'special Tool' to unlock the Nut on the Pinion Gear and some new Bearings and/or new Oil Seal and so on. Not that big Earnings if you do it for a Living.

He does a lot more than just swap the rear gears. He carries a lot of other parts and caters mostly to the V Max crowd, but has a few things for Royal Stars too, as he needs our rear gears. Swapping those gears in the housings is not a do it yourself job. One has to know how to set the gear backlash right and have the tools to take them out. That's why he gets an arm and a leg for the job. That is, unless someone (like me) has a mill and can machine the V Max housing out to mount the speedo sensor. Then it can be done for peanuts. Likewise to make the Venture housing fit a V Max, all one would have to do is drill and tap the boss for the rear shock, and make a cap to seal off the speedo hole.

Just thinking here (and that is dangerous). If I put the Vmax rear end on my '99 second gen and then somehow swap out the trans for a first gen trans. Then put on HD Road King pipes. And maybe a possible cam swap for a VMax? And I already upgraded my clutch plates to the full VMax plates.

What the heck am I riding? Maybe Yamaha can learn from these mods and make a few changes for their stock production bikes.

What other parts can we swap out for performance?

What other parts can we swap out for performance?

This has been discussed at much length here in the past. One thing I don't know though, is whether the V Max carbs will fit in the 2nd gen Venture. I've tried to stuff a set into my Royal Star, and I don't know whether I can make them fit yet or not. It will take some heavy redesign work. But I haven't given up yet. But it's also my understanding that the 2nd gen Ventures have a bigger frame and more room under the tank. It might be easier to get a set in there.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been giving this some thought and would like some opinions, please.

While I would like more response just twisting the throttle, I don't mind down shifting to get that response. I'm thinking overall fuel mileage.

80% of my riding is between 65 and 80 mph (indicated, not actual) with most toward the high end of that. For that, I would guess stock gears to be best.

On the other side, I have the wide Clearview shield and lower wind vents so I'm pushing more air. I also weigh as much 1-up as most of you do 2-up (closer to 400 than 300 lbs). At least my wife is small so we still ride 2-up ok. These would seem to benefit from the VMAX gears.

Which gears would you recommend?

I wish I had a good answer for you. I had hoped to report back on my mileage after the trip to Vogel but I am..or was...having mileage issues with my bike for a while now. I have recently done some things that will hopefully correct it but haven't had the opportunity yet to find out.

Like you, I really didn't mind downshifting when I need to accelerate but what I hated was having to downshift at times just to maintain my current speed. Riding two up and pulling a trailer on the way to and from Colorado I found myself doing that exact thing, especially when bucking a headwind. I have to think that the VMAX rear will yield better gas mileage in that situation. It resulted in lugging the engine if I didn't downshift. I also found that my mileage was the same when running in 4th gear. The VMAX rear actually results in my running a little less RPM in 5th gear that I was running in 4th with the OEM rear so my thinking is that mileage should improve.

Unfortunately, I can't verify that at this time. At any rate, I love the VMAX rear enough that even if the mileage doesn't improve or even suffers slightly, I will be very happy with it.

I have a 1st gen and have been thinking bout switching the gear set to a 2nd gen set and vmax rear end (which I already have aquired both) my main goal is mileage I drive 100 miles total to work and back each day. Actual speed (GPS) of 75 mph (indicated 86 mph speedos off) @ 4100 rpm. I also would like a little better off the line response. I think this set up will give me what I'm looking for. I know this will bring my rpms down some but Im wondering if the higher speeds will bring to much wind resistance to really help with mpg. Anyone have any idea?

I have a 1st gen and have been thinking bout switching the gear set to a 2nd gen set and vmax rear end (which I already have aquired both) my main goal is mileage I drive 100 miles total to work and back each day. Actual speed (GPS) of 75 mph (indicated 86 mph speedos off) @ 4100 rpm. I also would like a little better off the line response. I think this set up will give me what I'm looking for. I know this will bring my rpms down some but Im wondering if the higher speeds will bring to much wind resistance to really help with mpg. Anyone have any idea?

You're going to wish you hadn't Jim. The V-max is already lower geared and your RPM's will go thru the roof and so will your gas milage. It's fine on a low rpm 2ndGen, but not on a 1stGen.....

Oooops, read the rest of your post about changing out the gears for 2ndGens. Might work, but sounds like an aweful lot of trouble....