IGNORED

Alternate style RK muffler bracket

There is another style of bracket that is not the hockey stick looking one. It is just angles. I guess you could just do the measurements and figure out a piece but was wondering if anyone knew where the drawing for the other one was?

I've seen it but can't make it come up when I search.

I have an 86 venture royale, and my brother-in-law is sending me his Road King mufflers. He said that he punched the catalitic converters out, but they are off of an 06, so I thought I'd try them on my venture to see how they sound.

What's with the mounting of them? Shouldn't it just be some sort of bracket and a clamp?

Thanks,

Steve

There is another style of bracket that is not the hockey stick looking one. It is just angles. I guess you could just do the measurements and figure out a piece but was wondering if anyone knew where the drawing for the other one was?

I've seen it but can't make it come up when I search.

Found it.

MrRadi8...I made my RK brakets using the diagram you posted. I bought some 1/4" thick 2" wide steel at Home depot to make them, I think it comes in a 6 foot length. But I didn't go exactly by the template. The RK mufflers will fit slightly differently on each RSV...it depends on how much the entry end of the RK muffler slips over the RSV header. So hole #1 and #2 will be about right, but drill those first, mount the brackets on the mufflers. Then test mount the mufflers, measure and center them side to side on the bike, then mark where hole #3 should be. It will be close to the template, but not exact.

Here is what I did on my 03. Welded them to the saddlebag brackets and if I ever want to return to stock mufflers, no problem! Very sturdy and I was getting a slight up and down movement with the hockey sticks which caused the clamps to loosen up over time. BTW, last night I put the old 1 1/8" hole saw to just the rear baffles on my RK's and what a sweet difference! Not much louder but a nicer deeper rumble. Brian

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/briantheriault01/RKMufflerBrackets003.jpg?t=1184797894

MrRadi8...I made my RK brakets using the diagram you posted. I bought some 1/4" thick 2" wide steel at Home depot to make them, I think it comes in a 6 foot length. But I didn't go exactly by the template. The RK mufflers will fit slightly differently on each RSV...it depends on how much the entry end of the RK muffler slips over the RSV header. So hole #1 and #2 will be about right, but drill those first, mount the brackets on the mufflers. Then test mount the mufflers, measure and center them side to side on the bike, then mark where hole #3 should be. It will be close to the template, but not exact.

Thanks. Good info to know since I got the RK mufflers today! :cool10:

The drawing that Eck put up will not fit a 1st gen, it's just for the G2's. There are other cheap methods of making brackets for the R/K mufflers. I know I saw another post not too long ago with a different clamp system.

Some are using a conduit clamp, either rubber coated or wrapping rubber around the saddle bag mount. Just have to drill the hole bigger.

Some are using a conduit clamp, either rubber coated or wrapping rubber around the saddle bag mount. Just have to drill the hole bigger.

I had seen that one, pretty ingenious idea, I still like mine a bit more solid and will stick to the ones that I make :)

Brian,

Thanks for your idea......

I like it.........:thumbsup2:

Here is what I did on my 03. Welded them to the saddlebag brackets and if I ever want to return to stock mufflers, no problem! Very sturdy and I was getting a slight up and down movement with the hockey sticks which caused the clamps to loosen up over time.

Brian

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/briantheriault01/RKMufflerBrackets003.jpg?t=1184797894

• 4 weeks later...
I had seen that one, pretty ingenious idea, I still like mine a bit more solid and will stick to the ones that I make :)

Squidley, I have a friend that is willing to make me the bracket necessary to mount the RK Classic muffler on my 99 RSV. However, he doesn't have any SS flat stock laying around, so he's offered to make the bracket out of 1/4" aluminum and anodize it for me to help prevent corrosion. Do you think that there will be any stability/strength/heat issues with using the 1/4" aluminum?

Also, before I read enough to learned that it was better to use pre-2005 RK stock mufflers, I had already purchased a pair of 2007 RK Classic mufflers from a local HD dealer. The tech that I spoke with said that HD received complaints regarding the catalytic converters in the 2006 mufflers, so they removed them and modified the mufflers a little in 2007. He didn't believe that the 2007 RK muffler contained catalytic converters. I have to take his word on it, because I don't know what the catalytic converter would look like, or where it is located in the muffler. If it is present, it sounds like I can still drill it out and use these pipes. Is there a catalytic converter in each RK muffler? Any insight?

Thanks,

Cntryboy

Squidley, I have a friend that is willing to make me the bracket necessary to mount the RK Classic muffler on my 99 RSV. However, he doesn't have any SS flat stock laying around, so he's offered to make the bracket out of 1/4" aluminum and anodize it for me to help prevent corrosion. Do you think that there will be any stability/strength/heat issues with using the 1/4" aluminum?

I hope Squid doesn't mind if I jump in on this part. I used 1/4" aluminum and the template MrRadi8 showed in his post and did not trim the corner off. I made them last winter and have put 9k miles on with them. There is no obvious flex and they appear just fine when I inspect them visually. At a total cost of $5 Cdn I didn't worry about corrosion. So cheap I could replace them easily.

I hope Squid doesn't mind if I jump in on this part. I used 1/4" aluminum and the template MrRadi8 showed in his post and did not trim the corner off. I made them last winter and have put 9k miles on with them. There is no obvious flex and they appear just fine when I inspect them visually. At a total cost of $5 Cdn I didn't worry about corrosion. So cheap I could replace them easily.

Good to know. Thanks.