IGNORED

Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway

Al Bates

Diane and I are planning on riding all of the Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. I know a lot of you have done this. We are planing on staying the first night in Front Royal in Virgina. Has any one stayed in that area before? I see there is a Super 8 any others?

The next stop would be Peaks of Otter It's about 192 miles, I'm not sure if we can cover 192 miles of Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway in one day. Has any one done this before? How many miles can one cover in one day on the Ridge? Has anyone stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge or the Doughton Lodge or the Mt. Pisgah Lodge?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :sun:

awesome ride, Bongobob and Becky rode with us. we stayed in front royal, made our way south and stopped to see Lowry Caverns and stayed the night just north of Roanoak Va. Days Inn and Super 8 had good bang for the buck, conti breakfast and had wireless internet.

we were in no hurry and we stopped at lots of lookouts along the way. figure 2 to 3 days.

make sure you check out Mount Mitchell which is down closer to Ashville. nice ride up and down, 6600 feet high, restaurant at the top too. some of our best pictures where from that spot. it is at blueridge and highway 80. hwy 80 is a sweet curvy ride, make sure you check it out.

in Maggie Valley at the bottom of the parkway is a really nice town, and there is a motorcycle mueseum there. lots of leather shops too.

also south of Ashville is Chimney Rock, another must see and sweet roads too.

hope this helps

Cheers, Scott

Diane and I are planning on riding all of the Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. I know a lot of you have done this. We are planing on staying the first night in Front Royal in Virgina. Has any one stayed in that area before? I see there is a Super 8 any others?

The next stop would be Peaks of Otter It's about 192 miles, I'm not sure if we can cover 192 miles of Skyway & Blue Ridge Parkway in one day. Has any one done this before? How many miles can one cover in one day on the Ridge? Has anyone stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge or the Doughton Lodge or the Mt. Pisgah Lodge?

Hi Al: The year we were in Georgia we came back on the Blue Ridge with Stephen and Marion and we stayed at both Peaks of the Otter and Doughton park and they were both very nice. Peaceful and quiet. The distance between the two made for a shorter day but it was worth it to stay at both. We got on the parkway in Asheville and were trying to make it to the Peaks of the Otter but it was just too long as you can`t do any speed on the parkway. Thats why we stayed in Doughton. There is a great little restaraunt there as well. We went from Peaks of the Otter to Luray the next day and that seemed long enough for me.We were sight seeing at the same time so it was a little slower. The trip was well worth it and we would like to do it again sometime. Take care

Hi Al what are the dates you plan on riding maybe we can tag along???

Joe and Deb

Guest Ken8143

Been on it numberous times. Mt. Mitchell is the highest point east of the Mississippi and a nice visit.

I stayed at Mt. Pisgah and it is a nice place with a fantastic view. Moses Cone is a great place to visit - they have craft items, high quality, from the Southern Highlands Guild. Spend some time in the Boone NC area. Take a little side trip to Mt. Airy NC - it is the setting for Andy of Mayberry.

Lots of things to see and do. Take your time and enjoy it.

I did Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway from mile 0 to the end Labor Day week this year and I have pics posted here I camped the whole trip and did not stay in any lodges.It was aw some riding and with stopping all over I could average around 200 miles a day I highly recommend the ride especially Skyline Drive it blows Blue Ridge Parkway away. I also have a website where you can order free maps and brochures of the drive from one end to the other.

TOM

I did Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway from mile 0 to the end Labor Day week this year and I have pics posted here I camped the whole trip and did not stay in any lodges.It was aw some riding and with stopping all over I could average around 200 miles a day I highly recommend the ride especially Skyline Drive it blows Blue Ridge Parkway away. I also have a website where you can order free maps and brochures of the drive from one end to the other.

TOM

:doh:

Is there more than the one pic or did I miss something? Looking forward to viewing them all.

Keep the rubber side down.

MIKE aka Uturn

their is so much to see that you will not want to do very many miles..unless its rianing,also the speed limit isnt very condusive to 5th gear ,,I was pulling a trailor, and stayed in 4th most of the way.. it will make you wish that you lived in one of the valleys..I wish I was going with you,,,lol. have a great time and take lots of pictures,,,,

jack

Al,

Let me know when you are going. I could meet up with you guys for lunch or dinner Maybe even ride some with you guys. maybe I could round up some VA Members and have a Little Meet and eat. Any way Skyline drive is great. the last time I was there my Buddy almost hit a Black Bear Cub, gotta watch out for that wildlife.

Tom, Thanks for the path to ur pics. I really liked them. Good-looking bike 2 !! I want to do this ride, so when Riderduke finds out about a date to hook up with AL, he can call me for a RideN2Eat. How 'bout it Dave?

MIKE aka Uturn

:fingers crossed:

I put a trailer hitch on my bike and I am getting a trailer so I do not have to pack so top heavy and I am going back to the Blue Ridge Parkway again Labor Day week I hope to get some riders to go with me. This time I am going to start at the bottom end and work north since now I know where I want to go and I won't have time constraints.

TOM

Guest BluesLover

Al - did it a couple of years back and had a great time.

If you need to stop around Luray, VA, may I recommend the Hillside Motel (juts outside of town). It is a small place, but great hospitality from the owner (Sam), and clean rooms.

Cheers,

TOM

Skyline Drive is very nice and beautiful, but nothing, and I mean nothing, blows the Blue Ridge Parkway away. The BRP is a motorcyclists paradise. If you think SD blows it away, you rode the Parkway too quickly. :2cents: :D

I am sorry to dissagree I have riden my bike (not trailerd) my bikes to almost every state in the union most memorable is the 1 rocky mts,2 upper state ny, vermont,nh,maine then #3 is Skyline Drive and #4 is Blue Ridge Parkway and I camp and not puss on motels everywhere I go.

Depending on you your time table, I wouldn't suggest more than 200 miles a day if you want to stop and enjoy the sites. Realistically you could only go 50 miles a day and still not get it all in, but who has that kind of time????

Let me know when you settle on dates, I would love to come meet you guys and ride part or all of the trip if possible. I have ridden many portions of both roads, but never the whole thing at once and that is on my short list of things to do.

BTW, as mentioned before Chimney Rock and Lake Lure is a great side trip while in the Ashville area.

Folks, I have traveled the BRP and SD a number of times and have done it in a little as two days however your 200 miles a day is a good target especially if you will take the time to see the sights. True the lower speed limits are slow but you will enjoy the journey that much more. Couple of suggestions, surf the web and check out any BRP sites prior to departure as this past year there were a couple of road projects that had the BRP closed requiring detours (one of about 50 miles). That being said do some home work with your maps and don't be afraid to take some detours off the BR as often the occasional cross roads provide exciting adventures in themselves and you can always return back to the BR when done. I have camped and stayed in hotels along the way. Camping is more fun but the hotels are more comfortable, you may want to try some off the parkway as you will save some $ that way and do plan fuels stops as there is no longer fuel on the parkway. Finally, always keep your eyes open not only for the beautiful scenery but for the active wildlife and I mean active. You will cross paths with turkey, deer and even an occasional timber rattler that looks more like a branch. All things considered you are going to have a WONDERFUL time, enjoy the journey.

I live very close to the start of Skyline Drive in Front Royal, Va. so I get to ride that whenever I want. I've yet to ride the BRP on my bike though. But, from being on three MC boards it's an overwhelming majority who say the BRP is a better ride over the Skyline Drive. If that's so I can't wait to ride the BRP. Skyline is a beautiful ride but most everyove votes for BRP as the better of the two.

Guest BluesLover
Finally, always keep your eyes open not only for the beautiful scenery but for the active wildlife and I mean active. You will cross paths with turkey, deer and even an occasional timber rattler that looks more like a branch.
And don't forget the bears either ... we saw 3 of them when we were going through ...

Cheers,

You are going to love that ride. Take your time and enjoy the scenery, the views are awesome. Have done it a couple of times and would highly recommend it. Now if you are going as far as Ashville, you have got to get over to Deals Gap and do the Tail of the Dragon.

Dont let anyone fool you, it is all nice.I have a cabin in VA near the Willisville MC camground on the parkway in southern VA and you have Mabery mill which make a killer breaakfast and is the most photographed venue on the parkway.

Each area of the parkway has areas that you will want to spend some time.Let me know when you will be in southern VA and the upper end of NC and I will show you the sights.

My wife and I have ridden the BRP every year beginning 2001 and have stayed at the three lodges in question. Our favorite is Bluffs Lodge at Doughton Park; we now stay 3-4 nights there to soak up the solitude (no phone or television in the rooms), and thre are only a small number of guests. We stayed at the Peaks of Otter our first year on the parkway and really enjoyed it. One of these days we will get back there--just can't get passed Bluffs Lodge. :p Earlier this year we stayed at the Mt. Pisgah Inn for the first time and doubt we will spend another night there--too many people and the room walls are thin. Again, personal preference. Howver, the restaraunt is good and we always stop there to eat when riding by.